Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:45 PM

59 posts, read 88,644 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
Yes. No doubt about the decision.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 26,456 times
Thumbs up Sunrise

Sunrise will cost more but they are far superior in every aspect. Sunrise will last you a lifetime...hence the lifetime warranty which is transferable if you ever decide to sell your house... Which is a big selling point for someone looking to buy A new home. They also use a virgin vinyl not the junk recycled stuff. I would recommend you contacting a local dealer of sunrise and having them come out and explain to you the window there is a lot to talk about. Even if you decide not to go with sunrise you get a good idea of what to look for in a window you'll realize that wall side cannot compete with a superior manufacture such as sunrise. I have never read a bad review either about sunrise which says a lot. If you're looking to get efficient windows they are definitely the best choice.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 AM

59 posts, read 88,644 times
Darn, I wish I had seen this sooner, I went with wallside for all the windows, I have 10 windows to replace and a guy that does windows was offering to install 4 sunrise that supposedly he's giving me cheap b/c they're leftovers that he has in storage, the total price comes out about $200 higher than wallside and the windows are not technically the exact size of my windows but he's saying close enough that he should make it work supposedly, I still haven't signed with wallside so technically I can take the 4 sunrise windows still.

Thanks for the advice! (hope you don't work for sunrise! lol).

Old 01-09-2014, 10:58 AM

Smile Sunrise

You definitely want to cancel DONT SIGN anything!!! I do NOT work For Sunrise LOL! My neighbor is getting Wallside windows I am getting Sunrise. I did a lot of research regarding the product before I purchased (as I always do with everything I buy) and have heard nothing but good things. They have the lowest air infiltration lifetime transferable warranty window than anyone else in the industry, which is impressive to say the least. They are lower profile and designed 100% better with superior materials for a vinyl window. The fact that the guy told you the windows aren't exactly the same size should be a big red flag...windows that don't fit properly will be the most inefficient window you'll ever have. Also since he has said he has a couple extra in the garage will mean you won't get a warranty on those windows and who knows he probably has those in his garage for a reason probably because somebody complained about them and their defective. He sounds like a scam artist to me. You also want to make sure you have a very good installer...improper installation defeats the purpose of getting new windows... The most expensive job is a job you have to do twice because it was done improperly the first time. To give you an idea on price I have 15 double hung windows (one of which is a basement egress window in which they are cutting the block and installing in the basement) one large picture window and four additional Hopper windows in the basement... I'm paying $10,781 financed @ 6.9% int... I received a couple different estimates from installers make sure you do the same because I found $3800 difference. My neighbor is paying $5200 and he's not getting as many windows not doing the basement or egress. Also you may want to keep your old windows and sell them on craigslist or you can use them to make a greenhouse look it up online it's pretty cool. Hope this helps! Good luck on your project!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 AM

Oh and by the way it also included a free blower door test where they would have A tent like thing on the entry door and a fan that blows air inside the home to the outside...this creates a negative pressure in the home...from that they can see where air is getting in if be around the windows, fireplace,electrical sockets, heating duct work in basement ect. wherever may be the case using a thermal imaging camera...then they'll also come back and fill those areas with expandable foam to insulate and stop the leak. They then submit an energy efficiency audit to consumers who give you $500 to $1000 tax credit. SIR home improvement is who I went thru...don't know if any are around you tho. Do your research before you do anything. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Windows are all ultra U plus package

Old 01-09-2014, 01:48 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,133 times
The skill of the installers seems to count for an awful lot. Although we were happy with the windows themselves, I wonder if some of the members of the team weren't quite all there. Many of the windows and doors were crooked. The supervisors returned many times until they got it right. This company probably has many teams of workers in the area.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Interesting. I had Wallside when I had my house in Michigan. I liked them a lot. I had an old home with original moldings and the sales person made sure that the installation people installed from the outside so my moldings could be saved, even on the second floor. I had no issues with the windows during the 5 yrs I lived there. My mother had Wallside installed on her home 5 yrs before I did, she has no issues. Unless something has changed, Wallside was pretty decent. They also offer a lifetime transferrable warranty.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,133 times
It seems to vary a lot depending on your luck with the group of installers you get. Perhaps the on-site supervisors aren't as responsible as they used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit