Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times

Advertisements

This is a thread to thank Detroit. Thank Detroit for the things it has given America, pop culture, and America.

This is not a "back-handed compliment" thread. I hope people will report those replies as abuse.

I don't usually think of "suburbs" as the "city", but so many on City-Data do, so I will expand "Detroit" to mean the "metropolitan area that is 'Detroit'"...

...And with that:

THANK YOU DETROIT. Thank you for Bob Seger. Thanks from the bottom of my heart. Dracula should suck his blood so I can see him sometime in my lifetime. I grew up on his music, and I listen to it quite frequently. I believe, I KNOW, I will never get tired of it.

And even though Kid Rock is not everyone's cup of tea, thanks (Detroit) for giving him a sense of what it means to be a working class fan and have to scrimp and save for a concert. He lost money on his last tour because he wanted fans to pay a reasonable price to see him.

What are yours?

EDIT: I will read replies and give rep as warranted… I may not post again. I've been to Detroit once (driving through), so I won't make any other judgments, because I am not qualified to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Thank you, Detroit for dramatically changing the world as we know it with the automobile.

Thank you, Detroit for giving us R&B music (aka Motown back in the day).

Thank you, Detroit for giving me the memories that I will appreciate for the rest of my life.

Thank you, Detroit for putting amazing people in my life that changed my life.

Thank you, Detroit for the amazing food (good thing I have a high metabolism lol).

Thank you, Detroit for making me who I am today.

Thank you, Detroit for always reminding me of why I love this great city.

Edit: thought of one more important one.
Thank you, Detroit for your beautiful (and freaky) women.

Last edited by MS313; 01-15-2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
Thank you, Detroit, for........tick, tock, tick, tock....................wait for it.................Jim Caldwell.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Thank you Detroit for dramatically changing the world as we know it with the automobile.

Thank you Detroit for giving us R&B music (aka Motown back in the day).

Thank you Detroit for giving me the memories that I will appreciate for the rest of my life.

Thank you Detroit for putting amazing people in my life that changed my life.

Thank you Detroit for the amazing food (good thing I have a high metabolism lol).

Thank you Detroit for making me who I am today.

Thank you Detroit for always reminding me of why I love this great city.

Aw, that is so very sweet! And I`m truly jealous of your metabolism-- because I want a haddock fish fry.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Aw, that is so very sweet! And I`m truly jealous of your metabolism-- because I want a haddock fish fry.
Haha, people say it will catch up to me eventually. Hopefully I'll see it coming.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM

781 posts, read 736,771 times
Seems like a small thing but thanks Detroit for James O'Barr, creator/writer/etc of the comic book "The Crow".

Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Thank you for the auto industry that revolutionized how people transported themselves from one place to another.

Thank you for the Red Wings and the many Stanley Cup celebrations.

Thank you for Eminem and all the other Motown greats.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Thank you Detroit for being the place that my grandparents could come to escape poverty in Europe. Thank you for being the place that embraced capitalism, manufacturing, industry, and all those other qualities that are fading away here in America. Thank you for being the melting pot for so many diverse people who came here with the intention of working, not receiving a government hand-out.Thank you for being the place that encouraged people to better themselves and improve their quality of life by driving automobiles and escaping the congestion in the inner city for the tranquil and spacious suburbs. Thank you for providing a depressing example of what happens when a country loses its desire to protect its manufacturing base. Thank you for allowing me to experience the clash of cultures between the inner city and the suburbs and all that it teaches us about ourselves [not intended to deter this thread]. Thank you for your bitterly cold winters which forces the sissies out and for your wonderful summers which I wouldn't trade for the oppressive summers elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times
Thank you for madonna?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
The first four-way, three-color traffic light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: