Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:16 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,426,171 times

Advertisements

Polonia is a great restaurant, so is Under the Eagle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM

60 posts, read 272,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftydolphin View Post
Tamcat, what areas in Hamtramck are worse off? I would imagine any part that borders Detroit would be, especially to the north and east. I would also guess the areas closest to Joseph Campau between Caniff and Holbrook would be relatively better.

As for everyone else, thanks for the information. It would seem I'd enjoy the place. I am a single male, in my 30's and have no children, so schools wouldn't be an issue.

Suppose one did not own a car and lived in Hamtramck. Could he rely on bus service to downtown Detroit?
These census maps are somewhat helpful:
Social Explorer

Which neighborhood you would enjoy most really depends on your personal food, drink and music preferences. Every street and every block are different. People generally move to Hamtramck and then move closer to wherever they seem to be most of the time. The center of town is the priciest. Many younger people live on the south side of Holbrook; there are several Yemeni businesses, good bars, restaurants and grocery stores. Most Bangladeshis and Bosnians live north of Caniff, though older residents are typically Ukrainian or Polish. Businesses in the neighborhood are the same way.

The Chene bus runs nearly 24 hours from Hamtramck to downtown. It is very easy to get a bus from here to there. The problem comes when you try to find the bus home. None of the stops are marked. Definitely ride the bus all the way around once or twice to familiarize yourself with the route. Mr. Cherry waited in Capital Park for an hour once and ended up taking a cab home.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 AM

866 posts, read 4,242,530 times
Default Hamtramck

I would avoid Highland Park, but Hamtramck is a nice community. Many people are friendly. And it also has many GREAT Ethnic restaurants.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:07 PM

25 posts, read 92,847 times
Default Home In Hamtramck

I lived in Hamtramck all my life till i retired. If anyone is looking for a small home in Hamtramck on one of the best streets please let me know. under 30K.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM

695 posts, read 3,398,511 times
What areas in Hamtramck would you say have the largest Polish concentration?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
What areas in Hamtramck would you say have the largest Polish concentration?
Hamtramck as a whole has a large Polish presence even though over the years many of the Polish Hamtramck population had gotten better paying jobs and bought bigger homes in the outlying suburbs. Anyway, not to get off topic some of the biggest concentrations of Poles that I still see when I go down there are in the southern part of the city. It seems like to me that the northern half is more diverse. Historically, a huge % of Poles lived in the southern half of Hamtramck, and then also flowed into the Detroit border and across the border into Detroit (this area was known as the "poletown" of Detroit), sadly this area is all but gone after the City of Detroit and Hamtramck built the GM Assembly plant that basically swallowed up that entire Polish community, that was in the 1980's. There are also still many great Polish-European restaurants in this area, mostly on Jos. Campeau.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
Did that plant ever even open?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Did that plant ever even open?
Yes, it opened and it still makes the Buick LaCerne(spelling?) and the Cadillac DTS there, to this very day.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 AM

8 posts, read 22,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcat16 View Post
I love Hamtramck, and miss living there! Hamtramck I feel has a lot to offer. I first moved there when I first left home at 19 yrs old. My boyfriend and I had a huge duplex for only $460 a month. The area is cool, tons of bars, food, small shops. Lots of different kinds of people. White, black, polish, middle eastern, etc... I would say choose wisley where you want to live. Just like any other area, not all of Hamtramck is nice and safe. Whats cool about Hamtramck is its close to everything. The expressway is right there. My boyfriend went to Wayne State, and getting there was a breeze. Also Royal Oak is not very far. I think Ferndale is boring and not diverse. So.... I would check out Hamtramck.
i totally agree hamtramck is the place to be

Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 AM

8 posts, read 22,254 times
here's a link to give you a better idea about hamtramck

YouTube - Living in Hamtramck, MI, from Model D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit