Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times

Advertisements

All they have to do is forge a lease, and the utility companies are obliged to provide service. Here is another newscast that we Metro Detroiters are bombarded with on our nightly news. It is not uncommon to find dead bodies in abandoned homes also. Even doors are stolen off of occupied homes.

Video Landing Page - Fox 2 News Headlines

Must share home with diverse squatter - YouTube

Melinda Brown Duncan EXPLODES To News Reporter. "I'll Show You How To Run The City Of Detroit" - YouTube

Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 PM

661 posts, read 1,248,201 times
are authorities that powerless where the squatter (either the former owner) just won't move out of the house they "owned" (aka the house they were mortgaging)? Is the eviction process similar to that of an apartment's where your stuff gets removed from the apartment and onto the streets outside the building, and or near the dumpster. I've seen these evictions. The apartment door is either locked up with those heavy duty locks. Wouldn't being a squatter be a crime since it could be considered breaking and entering? Why someone down on their luck still want to add more violations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Squatters are an issue in an city with foreclosed or abandoned properties. Sometimes the squatters are the people that the bank foreclosed on. Other times it's gangs, teenagers, homeless, druggies. Watch those flipping house programs. They sometimes show them dealing with squatters or finding evidence they were there such as crack pipes, anal sex lube. You may want to get a concealed carry permit if you want to go check out any property you are interested in buying. Never know who may be in there or what such as rats or feral dogs.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:57 AM

947 posts, read 1,464,342 times
The squatters don't give a damn. Read the post above. Often the legal home owner is up **** creek.

Squatters File Bankruptcy To Keep Homeowners Out Of Their Own House

The police consider it a civil matter. So they don't do an eviction. Hence why you get the concealed carry permit and pull the damn gun out when you find the squatter and the squatter threatens you. So you can take of business because the police aren't going to help you so you gotta take of things yourself. The average response time for gunshots in Detroit is 40 minutes. For a car crash it's several hours. Even when people get murdered in front of police headquarters the Detroit Police have no idea who did the murder and do not capture who did it.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:19 AM

I was looking into cities by the Gulf Coast in the South, (in TX, LA, FL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Even if heating is expensive, everything else is relatively cheaper so it really doesn't make that big of a difference. Water is usually pretty cheap if you don't have anything leaking and I think water tends to be more expensive down south especially in the drier cities.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Auctions | RealtyBargain.net

Here is some deals.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:20 AM

the listings on mls sometimes directs me to a pay site where I'd have to join for a fee to see more info. and price about the property. is this usually common when the property is a "foreclosure" type so these sites make money? The ones just "for sale" can be seen for free with no problem. The foreclosure ones seem to be on "pay sites".

Question about foreclosure; Let's say a house was mortgaged ("bought") by the mortgagers ("home owner") for $50K but then it goes onto foreclosure due to various reasons mainly miss payments. It is then being sold as "foreclosure" property for $10K. Let's say the owner of the property already paid the house half-way ($25K), so there's $25K left, but it is being sold as foreclosure for $10K. That's only $35K total so who is responsible for the $15K left? Does it get passed on to the new buyer/owner of the foreclosed property or is it the responsibility of the former owners, by law? You can't force them to pay for it since they have no more money considering the house was foreclosed on the "owner" to begin with. Does the bank take the $15K loss then? Why would the bank do this to themselves? Are they confident they will get that $15K from the former owners at some point so they just decided to get rid of the house faster with lower price?

Isn't there a free way of getting a list of foreclosure info? Should I call the banks? Some of these pay sites are ridiculous and tease, won't even let me view more pics unless I join. LOL.

Last edited by thealfa; 03-06-2014 at 04:08 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post

This is bizarre. Neither the owner or the squatter seem like the sharpest tools in the shed.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:27 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
OP, maybe I missed it but is your plan to move and live in the house you decide on wherever that may be or what? I would do some reading on the questions you were asking before diving in. Also you seem unsure about location so do some research maybe take some road trips to the areas that interest you.

This site might be of some interest to you, you can search every state with it and there is a contact person listed for each property. Ya can cross reference the infor on realtor.com, sometimes one site will have more photos added than another. I would also be checking a crime tracking website before making any moves.
Detroit, MI - Fannie Mae REO Homes For Sale

Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 AM

woudn't hamtramack have less vacancies since usually an immigrant community would have higher occupancy than other parts of Detroit that are considered "ghetto"? What I'm saying here is the cheaper houses are more likely in less desirable locations and not in immigrant communities where it's usually bustling and booming which I am assuming hamtramack is.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 40,075 times
Best thing to do is go online and register for a bid. i registered through the wayne county treasurer and entered into their bid. i bouth my home for 3500.00 and had to pay the 1500.00 back taxes that were owed...ive oly had to put on a furnace nad hot water tank that ran me about 650.00 but i am currently renting the property to someone for 700.00 a mnth...there are still some nice neighborhoods in Detroit, and alot of the bad areas are being reconstructed. Most people here bad mouthing Detroit has never been there so they really dont know anything about it just believing what they hear on the news and hear say,my advice to you is do some research and make some trips here to look at the neighborhoods...AND FYI THE HOME I BOUGHT WAS JUST APPRAISED FOR $60,000 ..but on a good note Good Luck to you on buying a house!!!

Last edited by serenityandcaileesmommy; 03-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: left out some info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit