Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:17 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times

Advertisements

I think they are being nice...they are still giving the tenant a chance to make restitution before filing an eviction. There are not many landlords that will allow you to get 2 months behind before filing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:19 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Second, landlords have a right to give an eviction notices to candidates who are behind on their rents. I'm also not aware of it being illegal for landlords to send notices requesting back rent. They're trying to make money after all. Should they allow individuals to live there for free?
The illegal part would be calling them squatters (which is a legal term). As squatters, the landlord can basically kick them out right then and there (change locks, seize property, etc). But they can only be called squatters if they don't have a lease.

However, the wording of the letter gives the impression that these tenants are under a lease. If the tenants are under a lease then the landlord can only evict them if the tenants are violating that lease. Without knowing the full terms of the agreement, there's no way to determine if there has been violations. The letter only mentions that no personal checks are accepted after the 7th.

So really, there's no way to tell if this eviction is illegal or not. More information would be needed.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Looks fair enough to me as a stern heads-up to delinquent renters to pay their rent.

Parts of it may not be legally enforceable (which is a different thing than being illegal) but it looks like a boiler-plate notice that management has used before, presumably and hopefully to some effect.

Landlords and property management companies only exist to make a profit - they are not charities. I'm sure it might suck to be a low-income, poor renter who has trouble making ends meet but none of that is the problem of the property owner.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I have no idea how this works but I thought they are supposed to send it certified mail. Look at how this letter was found on the floor. The certified mail then shows it was received.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM

122 posts, read 200,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have no idea how this works but I thought they are supposed to send it certified mail. Look at how this letter was found on the floor. The certified mail then shows it was received.
Since OP didn't mention finding an envelope, the letter was likely received and discarded by the tenant. It is possible that the tenant never got it. However, this letter is not an official eviction. It's communicating a threat of eviction in an effort to convince the tenant to pay.

OP, like many Detroiters, has a hard time comprehending things. I was going to say Maurice Cheeks' inability to comprehend opponents' defensive schemes is a prime example, but he's an ex-Detroiter now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit