Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 11:31 AM

211 posts, read 299,596 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think about this article? I think for the most part it is true.

Addicting Info – Baffled Canadian Writes To U.S. Voters After Midterm: ‘You Don’t Know How Good You Have It With Obama’

"Many of us Canadians are confused by the U.S. midterm elections. Consider, right now in America, corporate profits are at record highs, the country’s adding 200,000 jobs per month, unemployment is below 6%, U.S. gross national product growth is the best of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries. The dollar is at its strongest levels in years, the stock market is near record highs, gasoline prices are falling, there’s no inflation, interest rates are the lowest in 30 years, U.S. oil imports are declining, U.S. oil production is rapidly increasing, the deficit is rapidly declining, and the wealthy are still making astonishing amounts of money.

America is leading the world once again and respected internationally — in sharp contrast to the Bush years. Obama brought soldiers home from Iraq and killed Osama bin Laden.

So, Americans vote for the party that got you into the mess that Obama just dug you out of? This defies reason.

When you are done with Obama, could you send him our way?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 02:22 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,608,055 times
Honestly, I don't think politicians, or at least many of the current ones, actually affect the economy as much as they proclaim. The only economy they have a huge impact on is within the Beltway around DC. Everything else is like them controlling a tiny boat in a wide river.

If politicians really wanted to jumpstart America's economy, they'd be investing in infrastructure and actually make it worthwhile for businesses to operate here. Ya know, right now Canada is covering 90% of the costs to build a 2nd bridge between Detroit and Windsor and the US government can't even come up with $250 million dollars to build the customs plaza?

I don't care how much the rest of the world may respect the US, I don't feel like the US government respects its citizens at all.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:34 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,939,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
What do you guys think about this article? I think for the most part it is true.

Addicting Info – Baffled Canadian Writes To U.S. Voters After Midterm: ‘You Don’t Know How Good You Have It With Obama’

"Many of us Canadians are confused by the U.S. midterm elections. Consider, right now in America, corporate profits are at record highs, the country’s adding 200,000 jobs per month, unemployment is below 6%, U.S. gross national product growth is the best of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries. The dollar is at its strongest levels in years, the stock market is near record highs, gasoline prices are falling, there’s no inflation, interest rates are the lowest in 30 years, U.S. oil imports are declining, U.S. oil production is rapidly increasing, the deficit is rapidly declining, and the wealthy are still making astonishing amounts of money.

America is leading the world once again and respected internationally — in sharp contrast to the Bush years. Obama brought soldiers home from Iraq and killed Osama bin Laden.

So, Americans vote for the party that got you into the mess that Obama just dug you out of? This defies reason.

When you are done with Obama, could you send him our way?"
Who are you, and what have you done with Xfactor??

Old 11-11-2014, 03:21 PM

21,163 posts, read 19,753,224 times
Who's to say Obama wouldn't have been re-elected if he was up for re-election this past election? The Presidential election brings out more of the -- how shall I say it -- less intelligent voters than Senate/Governor/Representative election. Many people who voted for or who would be likely to vote for Obama probably don't even know who their Senator, Governor, or Representative are.

Gotta love this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
Obama ... killed Osama bin Laden.
Yeah, single-handedly, no doubt. Who needs the military when the President can take out the enemy?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Who's to say Obama wouldn't have been re-elected if he was up for re-election this past election? The Presidential election brings out more of the -- how shall I say it -- less intelligent voters than Senate/Governor/Representative election. Many people who voted for or who would be likely to vote for Obama probably don't even know who their Senator, Governor, or Representative are.

Gotta love this...

Yeah, single-handedly, no doubt. Who needs the military when the President can take out the enemy?
If GWB presided over the Bin Laden killing, you would be crowing about it. And remember the "intelligent" voters who elected Cheney/Bush who left us with a failing economy, Wall Street crash, and a costly unneeded war based on lies? So much for intelligence.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 PM

GWB didn't capture Saddam Hussein, the United States military did. BHO did not kill Osama Bin Laden, the United States military did. And as animatedmartian alluded to, the economy is not controlled with a big lever in the Oval Office. There are many factors involved in the economic cycle besides the President.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
GWB didn't capture Saddam Hussein, the United States military did. BHO did not kill Osama Bin Laden, the United States military did. And as animatedmartian alluded to, the economy is not controlled with a big lever in the Oval Office. There are many factors involved in the economic cycle besides the President.
And nobody, even your hated "leftist" media, ever said that Obama personally took out Bin Laden.
Also, every administration gets credit or blame for what happens during its tenure, and that includes from the conservative media which noted that Obama was responsible for high unemployment - after a few months in office, and he was also responsible for rising oil prices (you remember that don't you?). Now, in connection to the OP, not so much discussion about those two little issues in the "patriotic" RW media. Why not?
Yeah, the country (especially Wall Street) is now doing better but unfortunately, thanks to Congress, repub trickle-down is still in effect.

It's as I said, with the roles reversed you would be crowing about Cheney's success - who are you kidding?

Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 PM

You keep wanting to talk about the left- and right-wing media. I don't control the right-wing media. Why don't you stick to what You and I think.

I was critical of Bush/Cheney on many things: the stimulus programs and auto bailouts that began under them, their involvement in education (which I think should be the states' prerogative) including No Child Left Behind, the Shock-and-Awe and sending in massive ground troops into Iraq (although I supported going after Saddam Hussein), the failure to implement a tariff on imports, the failure to correct the reckless stimulation of housing caused by the Housing and Community Development Act of 1992, etc. I think that Bush was far too liberal on far too many matters.

But that doesn't mean anything to you because in your mind I represent Fox News (which I don't even watch because I don't have cable).

Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
You keep wanting to talk about the left- and right-wing media. I don't control the right-wing media. Why don't you stick to what You and I think.

I was critical of Bush/Cheney on many things: the stimulus programs and auto bailouts that began under them, their involvement in education (which I think should be the states' prerogative) including No Child Left Behind, the Shock-and-Awe and sending in massive ground troops into Iraq (although I supported going after Saddam Hussein), the failure to implement a tariff on imports, the failure to correct the reckless stimulation of housing caused by the Housing and Community Development Act of 1992, etc. I think that Bush was far too liberal on far too many matters.

But that doesn't mean anything to you because in your mind I represent Fox News (which I don't even watch because I don't have cable).
Bush too liberal? Exactly what Fox said!
And just to suit you, I certainly will say only what I believe without ever quoting anyone else or linking to other opinion - or facts. Sure...
BTW, Fox is on analog TV and, as the big kahuna in its field, is metaphor for "RW media" without naming all the parties involved in that media machine. It (along with Limbaugh etal) is America's voice of conservatism and says so - why shouldn't I believe that?

So you admit to supporting the invasion with its trumped-up intelligence. Why would any patriotic American support the Iraq invasion when Saddam was a stabilizing force in the region, had zilch to do with 9-11, and the war's blueprint was mainly devised to get corporations embedded in that country?

And as to the OP, why not explain the RW view that we Americans have it awful under Obama, how he is responsible, and what part your current Congress, previous administrations, or the corporate community have had to do with our present situation? You think that Cheney/Bush and the repub-controlled do-nothing congress are irrelevant?
The original article was about our situation under the Obama administration and what he has done - or tried to do for the country. The RW, as opposed to past practices under GWB, seems to think all the "bad" has come from "dictator" Obama, and all the "good" from the RW base which has been beyond his control. That sum it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit