Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 AM

231 posts, read 393,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Did I not say: "Aside from a few cultural attractions and sporting attractions."

Frankly, those are nice, but they are not a huge part of most people's lives.

And, yes, in terms of nice restaurants most people in America would have any interest in trying and shopping, most mid-sized cities have more than Detroit, and probably even in terms of nicer apartments and neighborhoods.

I haven't been to Grand Rapids in a while but a quick Google search reveals, in the city proper, it has three large shopping malls, four multiplex cinemas and too many REAL grocery stores to count.
That's a stereotype Metro Detroiters really need to start fighting. Midtown, Corktown, Downtown, Hamtramck, East Dearborn, Eastern Market, and Mexicantown have tons of amazing food. Mexicantown and Hamtramck are even starting to get some upscale eateries. Even places like Rivertown and Indian Village have some good restaurants,and Woodbridge even has its own destination restaurant. Only Ferndale and Birmingham can really challenge Detroit's best neighborhoods when it comes to food.

Shopping still sucks overall, although we're starting to get shops that appeal to yuppies, like Shinola, Nest, and Moose Jaw. Detroit is disappointing if you compare it to Chicago or Boston or what have you, but it destroys Kalamazoo and even Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids is overrated by Michiganders. It's great for its size, but it doesn't compare to any truly big cities. The food lacks the diversity and knowhow you see in Metro Detroit. I visited recently and the street trucks and coffee shops were honestly an embarrassment (considering the prices relative to what was offered) compared to what I get here.

I do hate that so much of Detroit is dying, but it's a testament to the city that it manages to offer as much as it does. The culinary scene should be as dead as Camden, but people are strangely drawn to Detroit. At least for awhile.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,915,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Are you daft?

Did I not say: "Aside from a few cultural attractions and sporting attractions."

Frankly, those are nice, but they are not a huge part of most people's lives.

And, yes, in terms of nice restaurants most people in America would have any interest in trying and shopping, most mid-sized cities have more than Detroit, and probably even in terms of nicer apartments and neighborhoods.

I haven't been to Grand Rapids in a while but a quick Google search reveals, in the city proper, it has three large shopping malls, four multiplex cinemas and too many REAL grocery stores to count.

Thanks for pointing out that Detroit has the DIA, though. I'm sure that is revelatory to everyone on here.
City "proper" means within city limits. Woodland Mall is in Kentwood, Rivertown Crossings is in Grandville - both suburbs. The adjunct Centerpointe Mall abutting Woodland Mall is in G.R.
What is the third large mall you speak of? The Celebration Cinema complex is just outside city limits. Major shopping districts on Alpine (Comstock Park), Plainfield (Plainfield Township), West 28th Street (Wyoming), East 28th Street (Kentwood), and M-6/US-131, are all outside of city limits as are the other cinemas AFAIK.
Did you do some tweaking of data in order to "prove" your point perhaps?
Grand Rapids is a nicely-run enjoyable city for its size but the suburbanization pattern seems to be that of many larger cities - maybe for similar and inescapable reasons.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 03-18-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,259,259 times
Is this really that interesting to you?

Woodland Mall has a Grand Rapids mailing address and shows up as being in Grand Rapids on a map. Maybe there is something I'm missing.

Centerpointe Mall is in Grand Rapids

Breton Village Mall is in Grand Rapids

There are 3 Celebration Cinemas with Grand Rapids mailing addresses.

In short, get a life.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Is this really that interesting to you?

Woodland Mall has a Grand Rapids mailing address and shows up as being in Grand Rapids on a map. Maybe there is something I'm missing.

Centerpointe Mall is in Grand Rapids

Breton Village Mall is in Grand Rapids

There are 3 Celebration Cinemas with Grand Rapids mailing addresses.

In short, get a life.
Interesting to me?? Not really, but it is obviously important to you since you brought up the whole comparison. No responses allowed?
Again, your Detroit bashing is not helping the OP who wants, or wanted, some advice strictly on the Detroit area. The G.R. diversion is of no real help imo.
I also suspect the OP was searching for self-verification rather than information.
Yeah, it is me who needs a life.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:19 PM

Please post where I bashed Detroit--direct quote please.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Please post where I bashed Detroit--direct quote please.
You did some labor-intensive searches of another city in an attempt to validate you ongoing assertion that Detroit is a craphole, and you used incorrect data which is not analogous, possibly hoping that people wouldn't know the difference. But you want quotes.
Again, this doesn't really help the OP.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Move back to Howell.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 PM

15 posts, read 25,183 times
OP, you want to know what Detroit us like?

Try spending a couple days in Iran, Syria, or Nigeria. Pretty much the same experience as spending the day in Detroit.

Detroit and it's suburbs have some of the highest crime rates in the country. Plus, there is absolutely nothing to do.

I'm sorry you might have to come here.....pretty much the most undesirable place in the country.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:25 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,572,798 times
^Now see, that's blatant Detroit bashing. No factual evidence to back up these claims and probably won't put in the effort to prove them.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,865,388 times
Oh lord, he's baaaccckk. Look at his post history, nothing but Detroit AND Michigan bashing. All the facts in the world wouldn't help his false claims one bit. Not even one sentence was true. Plymouth is probably just some kid who lives somewhere in the great plains who just got internet access in his "children of the corn" town and was/is bored. Or maybe bashing Detroit is what he does in his freetime between his stagecoach rides to/from his Podunk town. Either way, I understand that interacting with other human beings is fun and all but it's time for you to go to bed, you have alot of horse manure to clean up in the morning.

Last edited by MS313; 03-19-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit