Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,388 times

Advertisements

Born & raised in the "Big D". I find it quite disheartening that the city looks so friggin bad. I live in Kalamazoo, half way to Chicago & am considering moving home due my Mom being almost 80 & not getting around as well. I have considered Russell Woods, where I grew up & Boston Edison area. The crime rate in the 48238 tends to be lower than 48206. However, the homes in the Boston Edison are significantly larger along with steam heat, you could easily be looking at $1500 DTE bill in the winters. So, the question is do I pay cash for a house in Detroit and spend another 50k or restoring, or spend half million in Kalamazoo over the course of my current mortgage. You can't put a price on safety, but this big house in the Zoo is killing me. It takes about $3k a month to operate & cover bills, Detroit would be 25% of that, and I would be home where all my family is. The job transfers so that's no problem. I feel totally free where I live & I would like feeling in Detroit. What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,743 times
I would imagine that Russell Woods is a little safer than Boston Edison, no?

And it really depends where in B-E? West of the Lodge is definitely a rough area, even if the homes look nice. East of the Lodge and closer to Woodward is better, though you are still surrounded by very rough blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit