Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 6,772 times

Advertisements

Hi people
I might go to the US for the first time in december and I was wondering about passing by Motown to see how things are. I am very curious about the city. Of course I know it would be a lot better to go in the summer, but that's for the future. So my question is: is it worthy going to Detroit in early december? Are there enough nice things to do? Is the weather reasonable friendly? What you tell me about that, or would you just suggest coming in another season?

Forgive any language mistakes.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Downtown will have an ice skating rink/bonfires/Christmas tree akin to Rockefeller Center. Things will be cheery wherever go in December because of all the Christmas lights/decorations - so it's a festive atmopshere. January/February are a little more dreary.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Detroit can seem bleak in the winter unless you can find a special event like the auto show or other convention when it pretty well jumps. You can find small watering holes and restaurants like in Greektown for instance, or depending on schedules, concerts at places like the Fox.
Fox Theatre (Detroit, Michigan) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They probably run tours through the Motown Museum. My understanding is they are quite upbeat and don't allow photos inside.
Motown Historical Museum - Detroit, MI | Yelp
Motown Historical Museum - Detroit - Reviews of Motown Historical Museum - TripAdvisor

Detroit Bass Players At The Motown Museum (Honoring James Jamerson) - YouTube

Eastern Market remains open, but probably not as lively as summer.
Detroit Eastern Market - Detroit Eastern Market

The Art Institute.
Artwork Collections: American, European, African, African-American, Modern, and Contemporary Art — The Detroit Institute of Arts
Detroit Institute of Arts set to make major announcement Monday | News - Home

There is also the Henry Ford in Dearborn.
Henry Ford Museum - America's Ideas and Innovations

Overall.
Things to do in Detroit: Check out 85 Detroit Attractions - TripAdvisor

I'm short on time and space here, but there is plenty more to google on all of these places.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Detroit can seem bleak in the winter unless you can find a special event like the auto show or other convention when it pretty well jumps. You can find small watering holes and restaurants like in Greektown for instance, or depending on schedules, concerts at places like the Fox.
Fox Theatre (Detroit, Michigan) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They probably run tours through the Motown Museum. My understanding is they are quite upbeat and don't allow photos inside.
Motown Historical Museum - Detroit, MI | Yelp
Motown Historical Museum - Detroit - Reviews of Motown Historical Museum - TripAdvisor

Detroit Bass Players At The Motown Museum (Honoring James Jamerson) - YouTube

Eastern Market remains open, but probably not as lively as summer.
Detroit Eastern Market - Detroit Eastern Market

The Art Institute.
Artwork Collections: American, European, African, African-American, Modern, and Contemporary Art — The Detroit Institute of Arts
Detroit Institute of Arts set to make major announcement Monday | News - Home

There is also the Henry Ford in Dearborn.
Henry Ford Museum - America's Ideas and Innovations

Overall.
Things to do in Detroit: Check out 85 Detroit Attractions - TripAdvisor

I'm short on time and space here, but there is plenty more to google on all of these places.
The Motown Museum is great! It's true: no indoor photography, but you can take pictures outside. They have cutouts in the window of the Temptations you can take pictures with. As well as the building.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 AM

123 posts, read 224,373 times
Personally, I like to visit big cities in the winter. Less crowded, not as smelly, fewer pan handlers, and you don't feel like your missing the nice weather because your spending a lot of time at museums or long lunches.
When it is summer I like to be hiking, fishing, boating, swimming ,mountain biking and just chilling in the great outdoors.
My 2 cents.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoletsgo View Post
Personally, I like to visit big cities in the winter. Less crowded, not as smelly, fewer pan handlers, and you don't feel like your missing the nice weather because your spending a lot of time at museums or long lunches.
When it is summer I like to be hiking, fishing, boating, swimming ,mountain biking and just chilling in the great outdoors.
My 2 cents.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoletsgo View Post
My 2 cents.
Well okay, but nice outdoor fairs, strolling, biking, and concerts all come to an end. Even some businesses close down.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 PM

161 posts, read 520,864 times
I was in Detroit in February and found lots to do. The Motown Museum, the Guardian Building, and the DIA were all open. I would even suggest booking a tour ahead of time for the Motown Museum as our tour was packed - surprising, it being February, and tours going every half hour. They aren't open on Sundays, though! And the Heidelberg Project is always open and free of course.

The Eastern Market was certainly the busiest place we came across in Detroit, and it was great, but I'm sure it's ten times greater and busier in the summer.

Not much going on down-town, though. Almost all of the retailers were closed and it really did feel like a ghost town, though the Coney Islands both had a bunch of customers, and there were a number of people ice skating.

I kind of like off-season travel. I'm glad I got to see so much of the city and in fact because there were so many things I wanted to do in Detroit, having some options unavailable made it easier to cram everything in. Also, you can find cheaper accommodations in the off-season! Going in February gave me a good understanding of the city, and I knew that pretty much everyone I met was a local. I would love to be there in warmer weather, though, and I'm hoping to go back for a week-end in a few months. Sounds like there's a pretty exciting and active cycling culture there, and I would love to see the Eastern Market in all its glory.

Enjoy your trip! I love Detroit.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coaster View Post
I was in Detroit in February and found lots to do. The Motown Museum, the Guardian Building, and the DIA were all open. I would even suggest booking a tour ahead of time for the Motown Museum as our tour was packed - surprising, it being February, and tours going every half hour. They aren't open on Sundays, though! And the Heidelberg Project is always open and free of course.

The Eastern Market was certainly the busiest place we came across in Detroit, and it was great, but I'm sure it's ten times greater and busier in the summer.

Not much going on down-town, though. Almost all of the retailers were closed and it really did feel like a ghost town, though the Coney Islands both had a bunch of customers, and there were a number of people ice skating.

I kind of like off-season travel. I'm glad I got to see so much of the city and in fact because there were so many things I wanted to do in Detroit, having some options unavailable made it easier to cram everything in. Also, you can find cheaper accommodations in the off-season! Going in February gave me a good understanding of the city, and I knew that pretty much everyone I met was a local. I would love to be there in warmer weather, though, and I'm hoping to go back for a week-end in a few months. Sounds like there's a pretty exciting and active cycling culture there, and I would love to see the Eastern Market in all its glory.

This is getting me excited to move!

Old 06-14-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coaster View Post

A couple things to check out if you get the chance.
Dally In the Alley - Midtown - Detroit, MI | Yelp
https://www.google.com/search?q=dall...it+mi&tbm=isch

These are two different festivals.
2014 Movement Electronic Music Festival draws thousands of EDM fans to downtown Detroit on opening night | MLive.com
Detroit Electronic Music Festival 2014 Cancelled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit