Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 AM

90 posts, read 155,656 times

Advertisements

Dear Detroit,

I bought a small 3 bed/ 1 bath in the Osborn area, and will begin renovations at the end of this month. I wanted to tell you why I bought a house in your fair city, and why I intend to move there. I come from Portland, where the houses turn over within a month. Where a 500 sq foot shack by a Walmart costs 250,000 dollars. I come from a city where 40% of the people have Bachelors degrees, and the Starbucks employees all have Masters. I come from a city that Kurt Vonnegate said "if you come to Portland, please bring a job." I come from a city were the unemployment rate is always above the national average, and 1/4 of the people are on food stamps.

But, it's a "lifestyle" city. It's a place for people to sell their lofts in San Franscisco and buy a moderate house in the Suburbs up north. Grow a retro-mustache and wait in line for 45 minutes to get a donut with bacon on it. I live in a place that for about 3 weeks is the most gorgeous place on the planet. The rest of the time non-natives seriously leave (I've had a Texan roommate and a Californian move out cause they couldn't wait for the spring/fall to be over.)

I ask you, is there a place for a person like me? A hard working-veteran with a degree in Mathematics? Cause there isn't a lot of mobility here. To me, home ownership, cheap land, a glut of labor, these things scream opportunity. It's 2014, our computers are made in Taiwan, furniture in China, and our tech support is done in India. Surely, the people of Detroit can offer something to this world.

I bring my optimism, a good deal of sweat, and a bit of the "weird" in Portland. I come prepared with a bit of experience in physical security and "threat management." What is the real Detroit like? and what kind of people do you think are coming to fill those auctioned homes? Also, practical tips, I'm going to need a lot of building materials and stuff, I kind of assumed that those "strippers" are selling that stuff somewhere....

From,

Dude "not a hipster" from Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 02:30 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Hi Dude from Portland,

Welcome to Detroit, even though I'm not a Detroiter or even a Michagander yet. I'm looking to move to metro Detroit from Pennsylvania, King of Prussia specifically. Like you, there aren't many opportunities where I live either. Many young people and even middle aged people are moving out of King of Prussia to some place with more opportunity. A few of my friends moved to Chicago and one to Milwaukee. I've been looking for a job in Michigan for six months and I hope I can get one soon. Sadly, I need a job to sign a lease.

I have a degree in English, specifically writing. I know Arabic and German and some French. I hear there is a wonderful Arab community, so it would be nice if I could get a job with them. But, I will keep pushing on because I know there is an opportunity somewhere, especially for a recent college grad.

I wish you the best of luck, Dude!

From,
Resident Photographer and Writer (anticipating the move from) King of Prussia.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:55 PM

Good luck to you as well.

I'd cut you a deal and be a pal, but I'm afraid I would be liable if you were injured, and I need to bring the building up to code to get a certificate of occupancy. That means, no electricity (Until I replace the service with a 200 amp box), no water heater (because that is gone), and no heat (cause... somebody else needed it more). Plus, I need a new roof and stuff. So, it's going be rough until I get that squared away. Maybe in a month or two when I get life support online....

But, it is what it is, I know people moving to un-improved land to rough it. I know people sleeping in tents in South Dakota. Those of us who weren't born lucky, have to chase our dreams.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierhobo View Post
Good luck to you as well.

I'd cut you a deal and be a pal, but I'm afraid I would be liable if you were injured, and I need to bring the building up to code to get a certificate of occupancy. That means, no electricity (Until I replace the service with a 200 amp box), no water heater (because that is gone), and no heat (cause... somebody else needed it more). Plus, I need a new roof and stuff. So, it's going be rough until I get that squared away. Maybe in a month or two when I get life support online....

But, it is what it is, I know people moving to un-improved land to rough it. I know people sleeping in tents in South Dakota. Those of us who weren't born lucky, have to chase our dreams.
Good luck! I applied for Write A House (WRITEAHOUSE.ORG) and I'm really hoping for that. I'd get a free house that I'd only have to pay property taxes on and utilities and they'd help me find a job. I've been praying and keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:15 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Well firstly, thank you for your service to our country.

A degree in Mathematics will most likely get you some sort of Engineering job around Metro Detroit which are relatively plentiful. Here's a link to Michigan works which is mostly just a service to help you find a job (much like Monster, Indeed, or Craiglists but just lists jobs that are in Michigan/Detroit area).

Michigan Works! Association

As for people who are buying the homes in the auction, most seem like they do want to be a positive force in the city, much like yourself. Contrary to popular belief, many people do have a love for the city of Detroit and the pride here is just about as strong as anywhere else. There hasn't been much in-depth reporting on who the buyers are in many of these auctions, but I get the sense that most are people who are willing to make the effort and fix up and occupy these homes.

You said you got a house in Osborn, right? I haven't been through there lately, but it's definitely not one of the prettier neighborhoods of Detroit. It seems to be slowly coming back, if it all, but crime is still very much an issue in this area. However, there is a community association and it'd definitely help to get involved with them to see how they can help with your rehab. At the very least, you'll find your optimism has some common ground.

Live in Osborn | Northeast Detroit
https://www.facebook.com/OsbornONA

Good luck on you endeavor.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Well firstly, thank you for your service to our country.

A degree in Mathematics will most likely get you some sort of Engineering job around Metro Detroit which are relatively plentiful. Here's a link to Michigan works which is mostly just a service to help you find a job (much like Monster, Indeed, or Craiglists but just lists jobs that are in Michigan/Detroit area).

Michigan Works! Association

As for people who are buying the homes in the auction, most seem like they do want to be a positive force in the city, much like yourself. Contrary to popular belief, many people do have a love for the city of Detroit and the pride here is just about as strong as anywhere else. There hasn't been much in-depth reporting on who the buyers are in many of these auctions, but I get the sense that most are people who are willing to make the effort and fix up and occupy these homes.

You said you got a house in Osborn, right? I haven't been through there lately, but it's definitely not one of the prettier neighborhoods of Detroit. It seems to be slowly coming back, if it all, but crime is still very much an issue in this area. However, there is a community association and it'd definitely help to get involved with them to see how they can help with your rehab. At the very least, you'll find your optimism has some common ground.

Live in Osborn | Northeast Detroit
https://www.facebook.com/OsbornONA

Good luck on you endeavor.
I'm going to check out that Michigan Works! link to see if I can apply for anything. Then see if I can get hired.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:14 AM

"You said you got a house in Osborn, right? I haven't been through there lately, but it's definitely not one of the prettier neighborhoods of Detroit. It seems to be slowly coming back, if it all, but crime is still very much an issue in this area. However, there is a community association and it'd definitely help to get involved with them to see how they can help with your rehab. At the very least, you'll find your optimism has some common ground. "

Thanks for the info. I'm just reading and researching and have the big question, is it the type of town that if you keep your head down, the street life will just go on around you or is the place were the street life will come to you. Over on the West Coast, its block to block, on the East coast you can almost feel crossing over into a bad neighborhood. Sometimes your car gets broken into, but that can happen anywhere. It's bodily harm that me and my family is most worried about.

The Michigan Works page isn't bad, to be honest, you guys seem to have a pretty good IT sector. I'm kinda surprised, even California.gov sites aren't normally that intuitive or efficient.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 AM

It's more like street life will go on around you, but there's always opportunists who'll take the chance if you seem like an easy mark. Most burglaries seem to occur where there's a population of older folks given they are typically the most vulnerable. Car-break-ins are always a possibility which is true for most urban areas and Detroit is no exception.

Most homicides and shootings in Detroit these days are related to domestic violence and interpersonal disputes (so many people seem to get shot over owed money or relationship issues or having an argument at a night club). However, getting caught in the crossfire is always a possibility.

Gangs aren't very organized and most tend to be just a bunch of young guys with nothing else to do, but nonetheless, a dozen of them loitering around tends to mean trouble (this has been mostly a recent trend at gas stations and liquor stores). There's really not any area of Detroit where people act like they own the block like in more gang populated cities, but there's plenty of vacant areas for opportunists to commit a crime with very little witnesses. But even still, I can't think of any area that's dangerous to venture into otherwise.

It's possible to live in Detroit without having experienced any serious crimes, but no less the reason to let off your guard.

Last edited by animatedmartian; 06-23-2014 at 04:09 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 AM

Pressure, poverty, and stress. Happens everywhere. I've found it actually most disturbing in small towns that have no economy and 0 opportunity. Thanks for the response, I'm a big, ugly, dude with very little of outward value. I've got a bit of street sense, but not of the East coast variety. I figure I'll just put up lights, get a dog, get my concealed carry permit, keep the cheapo car with hubcaps, and let the street opera go on without me.

Of course, this is all speculation until you actually stand in the spot and survey the territory. But, its kinda funny to see peoples eyes light up and mouths open when I tell them I need a nail gun because I'm moving to Detroit. I imagine, the key is to be in town for a little while before I start going to the club and walking around everywhere at 4:00 am. Just need to reassure my family that just like Baghdad, sometimes bad stuff happens, but most of the time; it does not.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierhobo View Post
The Michigan Works page isn't bad, to be honest, you guys seem to have a pretty good IT sector. I'm kinda surprised, even California.gov sites aren't normally that intuitive or efficient.
Well, ya know, being the top state in the recession for unemployment will make the government act as efficient as possible when it comes to trying to get people to work. Heck, many people here still think Michigan is the worst state economically, but in fact it's bounced back pretty decently since '09.

The west side of the state (Grand Rapids and area) is actually having a boom, but Metro Detroit is still kind of lagging mostly due to the bankruptcy.

Most of the IT tends to auto-industry related, but at least in Downtown Detroit, there's a solid movement to get other industries into town especially with tech start-ups and small businesses. Car manufacturing still is pretty important here though but of course most of it is being automated at this point or outsourced overseas (or worse, the South). Otherwise, the economy is merely stable if not growing slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit