Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
Hey its "cheap" to live here in terms of monetary cost of living if you don't factor in the opportunity cost of not living somewhere else.... That counts for something right? You could get a 3000 Sq Ft house for 350k here!
That's true.

Ignoring the apparent and significant flaws, one could live like a king in Metro Detroit with only a modest income. As another one puts it, Detroit's like a "small town" big city.

But you to honestly ask yourself if having a bit more spending money in your pocket is worth having a poor quality of your short life.

Interestingly enough, all I hear Metro Detroiters rave about is how great Chicago is and how they love going there (which is funny considering Detroit was just like Chicago in its prime). Yet, just above everyone outside of the Midwest doesn't think Chicago is all that impressive of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, on a personal level, I did ignore them. For 14 years. But it's a little more difficult to ignore them when you work in a public service field and they are your customers. And yeah, most large cities have people like that, but I think Detroit is in a league of its own for a city of its size and caliber. I've lived in 3 other large cities, and I'm now in Nashville, but the Detroit experience was unique, to say the least.

And perhaps you're able to have a more philosophical attitude about people like that because Metro Detroit is your home and they're just not as noticeable to you (?).

No, I`m not from this area, very little family here. I really always felt this way about people, even as a young college student, when I was first exposed to this sort of state of mind--and it wasn't in Michigan. Truly, I`ve always noticed people like that and kind of felt sorry for them if they needed to "flaunt" or needed a particular item, vacation, whatever, in order to be happy. Everyone has to find their own way to be content; but maybe philosophizing is for a different forum.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
To each their own. This area isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be, and it's not nearly as great as others claim it is. Like every area in the US, it has it's advantages and disadvantages. To someone who wants to live an affordable, largely populated area with access to lots of outdoors activities, it's paradise. For coastal elites or people who hate the cold, it's hell on earth.

I travel extensively for my job and have been to nearly every major metropolitan area in the U.S. I can honestly say that I think Metro Detroit probably falls somewhere in the middle in terms of "great place to live." You can do better, but you can certainly do a lot worse. But again, that's my own personal perspective based on my own criteria for "great" place to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
newdixiegirl, I would be interested to hear your perspective on southern attitudes toward people who have relocated there. I have heard from friends who relocated to the south (specifically N Carolina) that southerners are extremely polite but ultimately not accepting of people who are not born and bred southerners. They have found it impossible to make friends with anyone because they're northerners. Has that been your experience?

I ask that not to bash the south, but to point out that every region has its own quirks in regards to social structure.

Arthur, I agree with you about Detroit. Really. There are far worse places, and Detroit has positive features that I've mentioned in other Detroit threads (the green beauty of the suburbs; the quality of the public education system and libraries, and the emphasis placed on education; Ann Arbor; access to Lake Michigan's spectacular beaches, etc).

And believe me, I defend Detroit to the best of my ability, which, unfortunately, I must do almost everywhere I go. I also make a conscious effort to "sell" the positive aspects of the city AND Michigan every chance I get (I think the State of Michigan's tourism bureau should hire me). In my own way, I have an unusual kind of fondness for Detroit even though it wasn't for me, and the truth is that I only "bash" Detroit on these threads.

Anyway, to address your question about newcomers to the south: I prepared myself for the possibility that we'd encounter a non-welcoming vibe here, but, honestly, I've never felt that. Not once. I think that might have something to do with the fact that Nashville is very much a city of transplants from all over the country and other countries (other cities might be less welcoming, I don't know). Most of our neighbors are from other states/countries, and since we're not the only ones without family close by, we feel far less lonely here than we did in Detroit (even though we're now even farther away from our families). The people are very friendly, there's lots to do in Nashville, and it's also easily accessible to other nice cities. I feel very content here.

However, like any city, Nashville (and the south) isn't perfect. I don't think the public education system is of the same quality of that in Metro Detroit, and we live in Williamson County which is the wealthiest in the state. People here are, not surprisingly, more politically conservative and religious, but I've never felt that tendency is "in your face." But DO NOT get me started on how people drive here; on that subject, you'd get sick of listening to me rant.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Arthur, I agree with you about Detroit. Really. There are far worse places, and Detroit has positive features that I've mentioned in other Detroit threads (the green beauty of the suburbs; the quality of the public education system and libraries, and the emphasis placed on education; Ann Arbor; access to Lake Michigan's spectacular beaches, etc).

And believe me, I defend Detroit to the best of my ability, which, unfortunately, I must do almost everywhere I go. I also make a conscious effort to "sell" the positive aspects of the city AND Michigan every chance I get (I think the State of Michigan's tourism bureau should hire me). In my own way, I have an unusual kind of fondness for Detroit even though it wasn't for me, and the truth is that I only "bash" Detroit on these threads.

Anyway, to address your question about newcomers to the south: I prepared myself for the possibility that we'd encounter a non-welcoming vibe here, but, honestly, I've never felt that. Not once. I think that might have something to do with the fact that Nashville is very much a city of transplants from all over the country and other countries (other cities might be less welcoming, I don't know). Most of our neighbors are from other states/countries, and since we're not the only ones without family close by, we feel far less lonely here than we did in Detroit (even though we're now even farther away from our families). The people are very friendly, there's lots to do in Nashville, and it's also easily accessible to other nice cities. I feel very content here.

However, like any city, Nashville (and the south) isn't perfect. I don't think the public education system is of the same quality of that in Metro Detroit, and we live in Williamson County which is the wealthiest in the state. People here are, not surprisingly, more politically conservative and religious, but I've never felt that tendency is "in your face." But DO NOT get me started on how people drive here; on that subject, you'd get sick of listening to me rant.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.
Thank you! When I was in Nashville I was surprised by how hip the downtown area is. You really can't make an assumption about an area until you've been there.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I'm not going to bash anyone here because of their opinions, because I'm genuinely interested in everyone's....even if I don't agree.

Puts a different perspective on things, and makes me think some more......

Regarding the original post, I have to point out that the Detroit area and much of Michigan broke a gazillion records last winter.....everyone complains about the weather and no one does anything about it, eh?

I was born & raised in da U.P., and lived 24+ years in the Detroit area. Been living in Phoenix for the last ten years........

Some things I noticed about SE MI in general:

Folks tend to have a "Yankee" attitude. Not necessarily a bad thing; it just "is." Folks tend to be "curt", and I think that may be some kind of ingrained "efficient" way of doing things. Remember that Motown was once one of the largest industrialized cities in North America.

Yeah, there seems to be some kind of "Badge of Honor" that comes from living in the Detroit area. Unfortunately, the rest of the country doesn't care. That's a note to anyone that leaves the Motown area. Stick to sports & weather.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
I'm pretty sure at this point though, OP was a troll post since there was only one post and they registered only a few days ago. The name is also highly suspect as it's the last names of the two most controversial mayors in Detroit's history.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM

898 posts, read 937,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I'm pretty sure at this point though, OP was a troll post since there was only one post and they registered only a few days ago. The name is also highly suspect as it's the last names of the two most controversial mayors in Detroit's history.
Troll post or not, some of OP's points were valid IMO. People should be made aware of the bad, as well as the good, of a particular region. Especially if they are thinking about moving there. It's in their best interest. I made the mistake once of listening to all the positive banter about how great an area was to live and how it was coming back. And then when I got there, I saw the reality of the situation. OP, however biased, gives a pretty candid review of the region. People should take note as to what they may be getting themselves into.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
Could be, or maybe someone just registered and posted one night in order to "get something off their chest," as one person noted.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I'm also from TN. To be frank, an influx of northerners has really hurt some areas of the South. Look at Asheville, NC - a picturesque mountain town in western NC. Asheville was "discovered" by northerners - many of whom either retired to the region or bought second homes. Being in the mountains, there isn't as much available land to build on as other places, so real estate/rents have gone through the roof. There isn't much in the way of well-paying jobs there, so many "natives" are working a couple of part-time jobs to keep a roof over their heads. Asheville is "cheap" compared to MA/NYC/NNJ, but it's hard to make it there when most jobs are paying ten bucks an hour.

There are areas of the South that no longer retain any distinct culture. The populated areas of VA have been so inundated with non-southerners that VA has turned purple, and I'd argue is mostly blue now. It's rare to hear a Southern accent outside of small town Virginia. North Carolina is going the same way. Florida is no longer Southern.

As a native born, poor Southerner, an influx of northerners moving to retire is NOT what the region needs.
All those problems caused by northerners turning the state purple? Those exact problems are found across America, and, over decades, especially in the red southern states. As a formerly "poor southerner" you might rethink your news-and-information sources which seem to oppose your own self-interests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
And now Albert Cobo is coming under fire.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
And now Albert Cobo is coming under fire.
And ya know, that makes no sense to me. How long has it been named Cobo and why is it just now offending some people? Is someone gearing up for an election?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit