Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM

171 posts, read 303,327 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals

I'll be in Detroit next week with my brother for a few days. We want to go see Ninja Turtles when it comes out on the 2nd.

Where should we go?

Our hotel is in Southfield, is it better to just stay there and watch it?

If I do decide to watch it in Detroit, what's the best and safest theater to go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdemH View Post
Hey guys and gals

I'll be in Detroit next week with my brother for a few days. We want to go see Ninja Turtles when it comes out on the 2nd.

Where should we go?

If I do decide to watch it in Detroit, what's the best and safest theater to go to?
AFAIK Detroit has few, if any, neighborhood theaters. There is one in Rencen. Might be some event in downtown also.
Movie Times and Movie Theaters in Detroit, MI- Local Showtimes - Fandango

The Arab & Chaldean Festival is on for Aug 2 at Hart Plaza.
http://www.michigan.org/events/arab-...an-festival-1/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14f8WeH3NxE

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-31-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Emagine Royal Oak or the Palladium in Birmingham. If you want the best. Both offer luxury seating and the Royal Oak one has seats that vibrate along with the movie. A bit gimmicky to me, but whatever. Anyway, both are in the downtown areas of their respective cities so you can walk to any restaurants/bars before/after the movie. And of course, both are pretty safe.

In reality, there's only two first-run movie theaters in Detroit proper. One downtown in the Ren Cen and the other on 8 Mile. The one downtown only has 4 screens and I don't think it's playing TNMT there until next Tuesday. The last time I went to the one on 8 Mile, it was a dollar show and was under different management. I don't know how it's been recently, but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near as good as any of the other options.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:40 PM

723 posts, read 806,396 times
Your bedroom with all doors locked !

Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM

Detwah, if I go to that Arab festival, I'll end up leaving my little brother there alone and heading back to the hotel with someone else. lol

Thanks Martian. I'll check them both out and see what's up.

After a 10-12 hour drive from NYC, that luxury seating sounds pretty good. lol

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Oh, and I thought TNMT was coming out this weekend but I checked and now I see it's next weekend. Anyway, still Royal Oak and Birmingham are your better options.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
There's two in the city as already mentioned. One very close to the city (Fairlane mall).

For the theaters near Southfield.
In Southfield there is a movie theater on 12 mile and Telegraph which is probably the closest to you.
In Farmington Hills there is a theater on Grand River.
Other posters already mentioned Birmingham and Royal Oak.

Royal Oak would probably be best because it's close and it's walking distance from the amenities of downtown Royal Oak.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Hey guys and gals

Where should we go?

There are only two first-run movie theatres in the city of Detroit proper:

*Bel-Air Theatre on 8 Mile near Van Dyke

*A 4 Screen Theatre in the Ren Cen.

The Bel-Air Theatre was originally an AMC Theatre, so they are about 10-12 screens there, with a typical suburban-like parking lot.

Since you guys will be staying in Southfield, I would recommend the Star Theatre on Southfield Road and 12 Mile.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to have a lot of tools and stuff in the car, so I guess I'll just play it safe and stay in Southfield. lol

Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to have a lot of tools and stuff in the car, so I guess I'll just play it safe and stay in Southfield. lol
Don't leave those tools in plain sight - anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit