Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM

54 posts, read 141,970 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this question has been posed on here in one form or another, but I couldn't find a specific thread on this topic. I'd like to see anyone's list of best downtowns in metro Detroit. I think the givens are Birmingham, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Plymouth, Rochester, Milford, Clarkston, AA, Northville, probably Farmington, and I think we should include downtown Detroit in there.

I'm also curious about any hidden gems, up-and-coming downtowns or places that too often go unmentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,158 times
Downtown Royal Oak reminds me of the many Northside Chicago neighborhoods.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Wyandotte;

South Lyon (not quite as nice, but there is still a bit of the old small town left).

Chelsea, Dexter Saline, Tecumseh.

Monroe is ok.

Mt Clemens is ok too.

Windsor.

Amherstburg.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 AM

266 posts, read 852,761 times
I used to live in Royal Oak, which has a great little downtown, but nowadays I'm more into Ferndale. A little more of the "neighborhood" feel bars and lots of locally owned shops.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 PM

93 posts, read 228,327 times
Wyandotte not only has a charming downtown area, with a variety of restaurant choices, but also has a beautiful waterfront park. I think it's the overlooked choice largely because Wyandotte is so far out of the way, or so it is perceived, by people in other towns around Detroit.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 PM

Wyandotte was hopping today with the downriver cruise. A great event!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:01 AM

206 posts, read 439,649 times
I grew up in Royal Oak and it was a great family town for many years. Then the bars and condos started up with no end in sight. Now there a lot of empty store buildings, condos and homes unable to sell or rent out. Many of the schools were torn down.

The parking uptown is ridiculous, to say the least. Not too good for the small stores that try to make it there. Yes, a lot of them have moved to Ferndale and I don't blame them. That's what happens when you have a chosen few deciding the future of a town's well-being.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:02 PM

266 posts, read 852,761 times
I have to respectfully disagree with PeaceChild on the Royal Oak parking situation...I was just there in April and the parking structure in the middle of town is still being operated by the same family. I was there for about 4 hours on a Saturday and it cost me ONE DOLLAR. Royal Oak isn't perfect but parking is certainly not one of their problems. As much as I love Ferndale, these tiny lots with parking meters that take quarters only are a pain in the *****.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM

206 posts, read 439,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with PeaceChild on the Royal Oak parking situation...I was just there in April and the parking structure in the middle of town is still being operated by the same family. I was there for about 4 hours on a Saturday and it cost me ONE DOLLAR. Royal Oak isn't perfect but parking is certainly not one of their problems. As much as I love Ferndale, these tiny lots with parking meters that take quarters only are a pain in the *****.
I have been here 51 years. The parking is definitely a problem here, mostly at night when all the drinkers come in. During the day it's not much of a problem. Royal Oak is very good at giving out parking tickets also. They make a mint from them. Just pay attention to your time remaining on the meters, as the parking enforcers are pretty quick to write them. I've come upon them before when I had a minute left and they were already trying to punch the info into their little ticket machines. One of them that does write tickets is a retired RO police officer, so if anybody ever comes upon a ticket officer, remember that before you go mouthing off to him. I also worked for the city before, so I am quite aware of what is happening in this town.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
I have been here 51 years. The parking is definitely a problem here, mostly at night when all the drinkers come in. During the day it's not much of a problem. Royal Oak is very good at giving out parking tickets also. They make a mint from them. Just pay attention to your time remaining on the meters, as the parking enforcers are pretty quick to write them. I've come upon them before when I had a minute left and they were already trying to punch the info into their little ticket machines. One of them that does write tickets is a retired RO police officer, so if anybody ever comes upon a ticket officer, remember that before you go mouthing off to him. I also worked for the city before, so I am quite aware of what is happening in this town.
Walk around and put money in all of the expired meters. it really ticks them off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit