Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I pursue a job in the Detroit area?
Yes, it will be worth it and it's a great place to live 38 76.00%
No, stay AWAY! 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, if you flash around a Connecticut Driver's License, people MIGHT be curious. It's not like everyone you meet is going to be stopping you every two seconds. If you aren't flashing it around, and you probably never will unless you are asking to show ID, people wouldn't assume anything at all.

Michigan/Detroit, you'll most often be in your car anyways. I wouldn't worry about 'excessive inquisitiveness'. It's not like that, and it's still a large Metro. Plenty of people will be busy just doing the things they need to do.

The real message there is that people won't be, "Get the Hell out of Here," not at all.
Well, if we look at it the other way around....suppose a MI person had just relocated to CT. Me, being a native CT person, I simply wouldn't care. If anything, I would be welcoming and interested in getting to know them, just like anyone else, really. Hopefully, MI people would have that same mentality and simply not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 11:53 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Then what should I do? I want to be able to live somewhere where I feel comfortable and people are not "curious" about me.

I guess the fact that this particular employer is looking outside of MI for potential new hires shows that they're open to taking in a transplant, however.
Lol, the only reason people would be curious is because Michigan isn't such a destination state (coasters thinking flyover country is all farmland). They'll probably be like "Oh, what are you doing here in Michigan/Detroit? How do you like it here so far?" with a surprised/interested look on their face. All usually with the intent of friendliness. Most people usually aren't going to ask you how much you make right off the bat or something. If anything, the most likely topic would be about sports as Detroit is a big sports town.

I think Michigan tries to be as open to transplants as it possibly can be just to downplay the negative image placed upon us (occasionally reinforced by our own residents). But ultimately, we want to make a good impression on out-of-state residents. A few years ago, Michigan went heavy on trying to boost tourism all over the state. Have you ever heard of Pure Michigan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqE3Wu4zmW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsaL-WAqBY

Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Well, if we look at it the other way around....suppose a MI person had just relocated to CT. Me, being a native CT person, I simply wouldn't care. If anything, I would be welcoming and interested in getting to know them, just like anyone else, really. Hopefully, MI people would have that same mentality and simply not care.
For the most part, no, nobody would really care. I think you read a little too much into that post. I meet people all the time that have lived in other places, sometimes even other countries. They have there reasons for being here just like you would.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:47 PM

I have virtually no interest in sports whatsoever. But almost every place in America is a "sports town." That's just American culture. Here in CT, people are obsessed with the Yankees vs. Red Sox, for example. But I don't pay attention to any of it at all. It just never ran in my family. Some straight men might think I'm automatically weird for not being into sports, but screw them. It's my life and I can do what I want.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Have you ever heard of Pure Michigan?
You had to bring it up! (-;

I was watching those ads in Ohio before I moved last summer, and then someone turned me onto
John Kerfoot's parodies.

Not So Pure Michigan: Hurricanes (I love this one! Danger - language warning)

Pure Michigan: Hurricanes - YouTube

Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
You had to bring it up! (-;

I was watching those ads in Ohio before I moved last summer, and then someone turned me onto
John Kerfoot's parodies.

Not So Pure Michigan: Hurricanes (I love this one! Danger - language warning)
I like the construction one. In fact I quite enjoy a lot of his local paradies.

As far as state boosterism, I really like the Michigan Good Time lip-sync (although I find the actual song annoying). I like that Michigan has a diversity of small towns, cities, and characterized suburbs. It makes me glad that Michigan isn't as boring as some states (not calling out anyone in particular).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMtE4LWmAtM

Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Some straight men might think I'm automatically weird for not being into sports, but screw them.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It's true. One guy even immediately labeled me as gay, simply because I told him I wasn't into sports. And this was a white collar professional guy at work. Gotta give him some credit though, because I AM gay lol!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Pure Michigan is an excellent ad campaign. I've picked up the slick travel booklets every time I go into Michigan.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Pure Michigan is an excellent ad campaign. I've picked up the slick travel booklets every time I go into Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsR0DeY7f1g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit