Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I pursue a job in the Detroit area?
Yes, it will be worth it and it's a great place to live 38 76.00%
No, stay AWAY! 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:48 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm still afraid to go forward with this opportunity though, simply because the city has a bad rep nationwide, and almost everyone that lives there, grew up there. Scary. Can you imagine telling people that you live in the Detroit area? The reactions people would make?
It seems like you would be better off putting your energy into your life in CT, rather than wasting time flirting with ideas such as this. If you can't even imagine just telling people you are from Detroit, I don't know how you would ever come up with the courage to actually MOVE there (or move anywhere?)

I'm not from Detroit, but saying you are from MI can get similar reactions from people. It has never crossed my mind that those reactions should actually affect my decision to live here. If I'm happy... why would I ever give a crap what someone who has never been here thinks? I guess it boils down to a self-confidence issue. I have traveled. I know what I like. I almost take joy in knowing that others are completely ignorant about my state. I enjoy the challenge of proving them wrong. It is great fun.

Is this a cultural difference with people from the Northeast? Are they super hung up on impressing friends by living somewhere "cool?" That seems to show insecurity. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this pressure that you feel to conform to everyone's idea about where you should and should not live. It seems very foreign to my Midwestern sensibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:44 PM

298 posts, read 704,268 times
The Detroit suburbs are lovely and among the most prosperous in the country! You would live like a king with that income. Michigan is a beautiful state. People are friendly. Get a grip, man

Old 08-28-2014, 05:06 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Well I don't know....I mean, I've read numerous reviews about Michigan and Detroit on another competing website (SBP), and the general idea is that it's a depressing, declining place to live and the population is actually decreasing. Yikes. But then, every few reviews are positive, with people saying that MI is a beautiful state (which I find hard to believe, for the southern portion) with nice, honest people.

Is the Detroit area really making a comeback? Or is that just wishful thinking? Is there any evidence of this actually happening? Will things only get better from here on? I really don't want to move to a place that is expected to decline in the coming years. That's depressing man.
Look at Oakland County. Most towns are very desirable with both job and population growth compared to Wayne County proper which includes Detroit. Oakland County also has many lakes and I find it somewhat lush and woodsy like areas of southern New England.

Oakland County:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/26/26125.html
Job Growth since 2010: +2.8%
Population Growth Since 2010: +2.4%

Compare that to all of Hartford County:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/09/09003.html

Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,524 times
Quote:
Well I don't know....I mean, I've read numerous reviews about Michigan and Detroit on another competing website (SBP), and the general idea is that it's a depressing, declining place to live and the population is actually decreasing. Yikes. But then, every few reviews are positive, with people saying that MI is a beautiful state (which I find hard to believe, for the southern portion) with nice, honest people.

Is the Detroit area really making a comeback? Or is that just wishful thinking? Is there any evidence of this actually happening? Will things only get better from here on? I really don't want to move to a place that is expected to decline in the coming years. That's depressing man.
It sounds like this guy would rather live poor in Connecticut giving away his money to taxes and paying higher cost of living leaving him only to live in a tiny shoe box apartment with no oven and only a portable stove top. sleeping on a two seated couch that pulls out to a bed but has to move the tv under the bed so it can come out. That's the typical stereotype people view east coast. See how easy it is to stereotype from the news or media?

Most of the questions you have asked been answered or can be found on first page of the detroit forum.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times
Quote:

Good lord. Were doing alot of the research for you that you should be doing yourself bruh. Look we all like to help out new comers and all but your going to have to at least try to put some effort in finding out info for yourself. Forums are mostly for opinions, if you want facts use Google like I do.

Metro Detroit population INCREASES. Detroit city proper population still decreasing but the decline is slowing down.
Suburbs gain while Detroit population drops below 700,000 | The Detroit News
Personally, with the economy coming back, a new mayor who is putting in a great effort, billionaires who are investing in the city, and hopefully a restart after the bankruptcy is over, Detroit proper's population decline is about ready to bottom out soon.

Home prices in Metro Detroit are up.
Metro Detroit home prices were up 10 percent in June | MLive.com

Hockey, housing and more: Ilitches unveil 'bold vision' for Red Wings arena district | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Look at the major developments forum for more.

Quote:
It has never crossed my mind that those reactions should actually affect my decision to live here. If I'm happy... why would I ever give a crap what someone who has never been here thinks? I guess it boils down to a self-confidence issue. I have traveled. I know what I like. I almost take joy in knowing that others are completely ignorant about my state. I enjoy the challenge of proving them wrong. It is great fun.
Agreed. If I wanted to seek approval about where I want to live then I'll be going to Atlanta with all of the other followers who just want to be there just because there's alot of rappers and reality show housewives living there. Or simply because alot of their friends are talking about moving there. If being in some trendy place makes them happy then good for them. I honestly don't care about others approvals because I live for me, but I guess that's the difference between a leader and a follower.

Quote:
The Detroit suburbs are lovely and among the most prosperous in the country! You would live like a king with that income. Michigan is a beautiful state. People are friendly. Get a grip, man
"Nooo I can't! because my friends will laugh at me "

Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:

Is Connecticut on the up-n-up? I've never heard of anyone wanting to move there.

If you REALLY want to move to where everyone else is moving, you can always look at Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. For me, there is no way I'd want to move to some popular place where everyone else is moving. They have their own problems and issues. Austin is one I'd personally consider, but so many people there, the infrastructure can't take it, the traffic is terrible, on and on.

It's better to find a place that you're comfortable with due to the local culture, the people, or whatever else. If you like a place, it doesn't matter or not, about the 'city image' from an outsider perspective who has never been there.

For me, I personally like the cities with declining populations. Isn't New York City even declining? Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, etc. I'll take any of them anyday over a sunbelt sprawl-fest.

But, if you really want somewhere that's going to continue to sprawl and expand, the SunBelt, which you've already confirmed you definitely don't like, might be the area to look into...?

Or if you want the same that that Detroit offers, but you want to pay a lot more for it, and have a lower salary, than Connecticut might be the place for it.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Can you imagine telling people that you live in the Detroit area? The reactions people would make?
I proudly tell people that I'm from the Detroit area. I could say either 'Michigan' or 'Detroit'. I just say Detroit. Nothing wrong with it.

I guess it's what a person is used to. If I had to tell people I was from Connecticut, it would sound weird. I can't imagine feel proud or good about it.

Maybe you're having the same issues...it sounds unfamiliar to you. But, saying you live in Michigan/Detroit isn't weird to be at all. I can think of about 30-35 states that I think it would be worse to say.

If you really wanted to, you could tell people you are from Connecticut but live and work in Michigan.

You're kind of challenging my thinking here...Michigan is a Blue State, it has some of the best education in the States...one of the best state schools in the nation as well. Has gorgeous Great Lakes absolutely everywhere, it has tons of forests up north. The only possible negative I can think of, is that someone on the East Coast is geographically challenged, and gets it confused with a random red state that also starts with an 'M'. That's really the worse I can imagine. People that have been to Michigan, usually do the tourist things, and quite like it.

You could do much, much, much, much worse. I'd personally rather say Michigan than Connecticut. Connecticut, just by name alone, sounds dull and boring, with dull and boring people. I would be afraid that by saying I'm from there, people would think I'm also dull and boring.

Maybe you should do your next job based on name image. Where would you like to tell people you live, and go for that spot. For me, I can't think of anywhere that has a great 'name image', that also doesn't have an exorbitantly expensive cost of living attached to living in it.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I proudly tell people that I'm from the Detroit area. I could say either 'Michigan' or 'Detroit'. I just say Detroit. Nothing wrong with it.

I guess it's what a person is used to. If I had to tell people I was from Connecticut, it would sound weird. I can't imagine feel proud or good about it.

Maybe you're having the same issues...it sounds unfamiliar to you. But, saying you live in Michigan/Detroit isn't weird to be at all. I can think of about 30-35 states that I think it would be worse to say.

If you really wanted to, you could tell people you are from Connecticut but live and work in Michigan.

You're kind of challenging my thinking here...Michigan is a Blue State, it has some of the best education in the States...one of the best state schools in the nation as well. Has gorgeous Great Lakes absolutely everywhere, it has tons of forests up north. The only possible negative I can think of, is that someone on the East Coast is geographically challenged, and gets it confused with a random red state that also starts with an 'M'. That's really the worse I can imagine. People that have been to Michigan, usually do the tourist things, and quite like it.

You could do much, much, much, much worse. I'd personally rather say Michigan than Connecticut. Connecticut, just by name alone, sounds dull and boring, with dull and boring people. I would be afraid that by saying I'm from there, people would think I'm also dull and boring.

Maybe you should do your next job based on name image. Where would you like to tell people you live, and go for that spot. For me, I can't think of anywhere that has a great 'name image', that also doesn't have an exorbitantly expensive cost of living attached to living in it.
That's not true. CT is one of the most characterful states in the nation, by far. So many quaint towns with beautiful houses, unlike anything in the rest of the U.S. And a beautiful coastline, beautiful CT river, forests, hills and valleys, etc. I wouldn't go as far to say it's an exciting place, but it is a beautiful place indeed. East coasters generally view the entire Midwest as bland, dull and boring, if anything. Most people here think "there's nothing" in the Midwest. I'm not saying they're correct, but I'm saying, that's what east coasters believe and think. They would think I'm WEIRD for wanting to consider moving to the Midwest, because it's "out in the country and there's nothing to do." They think it's almost entirely farmland (which is true to some extent, but overblown of course) and hicks/rednecks. Trust me.

Anyway, that's why the Midwest appeals to me. Because it's not a place that people are moving to in droves, such as the sunbelt metros. Those places are sprawlfests as you said, with HORRIBLE traffic, eroding culture, etc.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
That's not true. CT is one of the most characterful states in the nation, by far. So many quaint towns with beautiful houses, unlike anything in the rest of the U.S. And a beautiful coastline, beautiful CT river, forests, hills and valleys, etc. I wouldn't go as far to say it's an exciting place, but it is a beautiful place indeed. East coasters generally view the entire Midwest as bland, dull and boring, if anything. Most people here think "there's nothing" in the Midwest. I'm not saying they're correct, but I'm saying, that's what east coasters believe and think. They would think I'm WEIRD for wanting to consider moving to the Midwest, because it's "out in the country and there's nothing to do." They think it's almost entirely farmland (which is true to some extent, but overblown of course) and hicks/rednecks. Trust me.

It is good to know you dislike your home being pigeonholed as much as the rest of us. Topographically Michigan has NOTHING in common with the midwest, and is more like CT than Nebraska. So when you make ignorant comments about it being flat and or treeless we all get annoyed too.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It is good to know you dislike your home being pigeonholed as much as the rest of us. Topographically Michigan has NOTHING in common with the midwest, and is more like CT than Nebraska. So when you make ignorant comments about it being flat and or treeless we all get annoyed too.
Well, I have been to Michigan once before, two years ago. All I did was drive along I-94 from IN into MI and stopped at Kalamazoo and spent the night there (during a road trip). The next day, I continued along I-94 and then headed south, out of state along I-69 back into IN. So I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked to see. But I-94 was quite flat and somewhat boring of a drive. But it was HOT as hell. It was late July and it was like 97 degrees. But I loved it.

I've also been to Nebraska and didn't think it was that flat. It had mild rolling plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit