Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:10 PM

314 posts, read 547,144 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I have a question about Detroit real estate. I've never been to the city, but my general understanding is that it's very run down, houses are essentially given away, and if you want to live in one of the few decent areas, it's very expensive.

So, my question. If you wanted to buy real estate in the Detroit area, how much more would you get for 8-12K, as opposed to a house that's being given away for a dollar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 12:29 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Hey folks, I have a question about Detroit real estate. I've never been to the city, but my general understanding is that it's very run down, houses are essentially given away, and if you want to live in one of the few decent areas, it's very expensive.

So, my question. If you wanted to buy real estate in the Detroit area, how much more would you get for 8-12K, as opposed to a house that's being given away for a dollar?
The difference is that for the 8-12k house you are paying that much to the seller. For the 1 dollar house you are paying the 8-12k to the city in back taxes and other things.

Also,

Just to give you an idea, my great uncle just passed away and he lived in a house on the border of hamtramk and detroit, Literally. His house was in one city, and the garage was in another. His house was built a loooooooooong time ago and hasn't had any updates to it all pretty much. In the bed room there were 0 wall outlets and in the living room there was 1. This house sold for 29k. We didn't expect it to sell for more than 10k.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
The difference is that for the 8-12k house you are paying that much to the seller. For the 1 dollar house you are paying the 8-12k to the city in back taxes and other things.

Also,

Just to give you an idea, my great uncle just passed away and he lived in a house on the border of hamtramk and detroit, Literally. His house was in one city, and the garage was in another. His house was built a loooooooooong time ago and hasn't had any updates to it all pretty much. In the bed room there were 0 wall outlets and in the living room there was 1. This house sold for 29k. We didn't expect it to sell for more than 10k.
Makes sense. When something seems too good to be true, it usually is. So, if you purchase a house for 10K, just how rough will the neighborhood be?

Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
You likely won't want to live in it. Or it'll be in a decent area and then it'll be at least another 10-20k before you can live in it.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
You likely won't want to live in it. Or it'll be in a decent area and then it'll be at least another 10-20k before you can live in it.
20-30K to live in a decent area in a major American city is still a steal though.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Nowadays, a livable house is around 30K, but many homes in Detroit are pretty old and it'd still take a fair bit to bring a lot of properties up to date. A move-in ready house in a nicer neighborhood typically goes for $300K+. Move-in ready condos downtown are around that range as well.

You usually can't judge a neighborhood by price, but by most comparisons not too many Detroit neighborhoods fall outside of the rough category. Things have been improving since the bottom of 2011, but there's still a lot to be desired in terms of city services and neighborhood conditions. Even the worst areas of Baltimore still probably look a little better than the average areas of Detroit. Crime tends to be spread pretty evenly across the city with only a few areas with moderately higher crime.

Anything less than $20K is usually to pay back the taxes owed on the property. The building itself will likely be hollowed out, burnt to a crisp, a just a pile of rubble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijRIFpSbRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7pe8GqSaMI

Old 10-09-2014, 04:02 PM

123 posts, read 199,581 times
This reminds me of the soldier who posted here a few months ago. He bought a $5k house sight unseen and ended up in 48205 (aka Detroit's deadliest neighborhood). He came in full of spirit and put some major sweat equity in. I think he lasted 2 weeks and boarded the place up and never posted again.

There are places in the city limits where you can find a great bargain. But if you have never been here before, how would you know where those places are? Be very careful.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:20 PM

171 posts, read 303,233 times
I spent $19k all-in near Marygrove College and got it rented for $625. Not so bad.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantx512 View Post
This reminds me of the soldier who posted here a few months ago. He bought a $5k house sight unseen and ended up in 48205 (aka Detroit's deadliest neighborhood). He came in full of spirit and put some major sweat equity in. I think he lasted 2 weeks and boarded the place up and never posted again.

There are places in the city limits where you can find a great bargain. But if you have never been here before, how would you know where those places are? Be very careful.
Though that had nothing to do with crime. In fact, I don't think he ever got affected by crime while he was here. I think he mentioned crime felt pretty prevalent but nothing ever actually happened to him.

It mostly came down to the cost to rehab the house outweighed how much he was willing to put into it. Plus dealing with the city government, not having a car, and then having a 100-year flood in August didn't help at all.

People underestimate these cheap houses and think they're okay to live in once they buy but only if you have a whole bunch of money saved up and willing to put in a great deal of work or pay a contractor to do it quickly for you.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdemH View Post
I spent $19k all-in near Marygrove College and got it rented for $625. Not so bad.
That's good to hear. That was one of the areas Mayor Duggan targeted for improvement, right? Has the neighborhood seemed any different at all? (if you've any spent time over there since the purchase)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: