Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 PM

25 posts, read 134,575 times

Advertisements

has anyone ever seen this site?

http://www.michigannative.com/ma_home.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:29 PM

110 posts, read 322,907 times
That's some good stuff! I've been living "out west" for a long time now, and still say a lot of those things. People out here can still peg me for a Michigander (or at least from "somewhere" in the Midwest)

Old 12-31-2007, 09:03 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,587 times
Gratiot. "Where is gray-tie-oat (gratiot)?" No, its gra-$hit.

Schoenherr is another one too. Ah memories

Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simlifgal View Post
has anyone ever seen this site?

http://www.michigannative.com/ma_home.shtml

Excellent -- I'll add it to my favorites.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil99 View Post
That's some good stuff! I've been living "out west" for a long time now, and still say a lot of those things. People out here can still peg me for a Michigander (or at least from "somewhere" in the Midwest)

One thing I found out -- they can peg you immediately even if you aren't using your Michigan accent because Michiganders are the only people who when asked where they're from hold up their hand and point out a spot on their hand, saying right here, this is where I'm from --- people will look at you like you're crazy and say "you are from you're own hand?"

Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM

25 posts, read 134,575 times
"So "Meijer" became "Meijers", "Kroger" became "Krogers", and inexplicably, "K-Mart" became... "K-Marts"!"

That one made me laugh, cause I know I do that and my out of state family is CONSTANTLY correcting me.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 AM

110 posts, read 322,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
One thing I found out -- they can peg you immediately even if you aren't using your Michigan accent because Michiganders are the only people who when asked where they're from hold up their hand and point out a spot on their hand, saying right here, this is where I'm from --- people will look at you like you're crazy and say "you are from you're own hand?"

Haha! That's true too....although I haven't done that one for awhile now. The sayings that I still use all the time is the "you guys", and (I guess due to the Canadian influence), end a lot of sentences with "eh?". I've tried to nix them, but still can't kick that habit! Although, I do have to say I never use the term "expressway" anymore, out here it's usually freeway...and by no means can the freeways out here be considered "express" anyway.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM

189 posts, read 219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil99 View Post
I was at a McDonalds in line behind one very frustrated lady in Chattanooga
" I'll have a small pop"
McD- "Huh?"
"You know, like Coke,Pepsi"
McD-"We gots Coke,Diet Coke and Sprite, I ain't heard of no 'pop'"
"Just give me the cup, I can fill it up myself over there"
McD- "Coffee cup, or soda cup"
" WTF???? #-*# I SAID I wanted a pop didn't I? "
At this point I helped translate, since neither one thought my laughing was funny.

I asked her,and yep, she was from Michigan!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
I was at a McDonalds in line behind one very frustrated lady in Chattanooga
" I'll have a small pop"
McD- "Huh?"
"You know, like Coke,Pepsi"
McD-"We gots Coke,Diet Coke and Sprite, I ain't heard of no 'pop'"
"Just give me the cup, I can fill it up myself over there"
McD- "Coffee cup, or soda cup"
" WTF???? #-*# I SAID I wanted a pop didn't I? "
At this point I helped translate, since neither one thought my laughing was funny.

I asked her,and yep, she was from Michigan!
Hahahaha! When my mother-in-law and wife took a trip to Ireland a few years ago, my MIL was looking around for a vending machine so she could get a Coke. She kept asking the Dubliners where she could find a "pop machine." My wife finally had to intervene and translate.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 AM

69 posts, read 203,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simlifgal View Post
"So "Meijer" became "Meijers", "Kroger" became "Krogers", and inexplicably, "K-Mart" became... "K-Marts"!"

That one made me laugh, cause I know I do that and my out of state family is CONSTANTLY correcting me.

This is funny, because two of my sons now live in KY and they "pluralize" everything. They get nailed for saying "Ford's" and "Farmer Jacks." Of course, Farmer Jack no longer exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit