Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 PM

47 posts, read 119,611 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much- such valuable info that you just can't find on a website.

The interviewer asked if we were crazy for wanting to move there. Are we? What am I missing?

We love where we live but it's expensive! We love the outdoor life, but we don't ski and it seems like These areas are far from a concrete jungle. What's the rub?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:35 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
That seems like an odd thing for an interviewer to say. Though most people don't see Michigan or more specifically Metro Detroit as a desirable place to live because of its media image of crime and decay which really is only located in the inner-city. Pretty much all of the suburbs don't resemble anything like inner-city Detroit. Otherwise, I'm not really sure why the interviewer would say something like that.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 PM

183 posts, read 210,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdenver View Post

The interviewer asked if we were crazy for wanting to move there. Are we? What am I missing?

We love where we live but it's expensive! We love the outdoor life, but we don't ski and it seems like These areas are far from a concrete jungle. What's the rub?

We recently moved to the Metro Detroit area from the SF bay area and I will tell you that lots of people outside of here have no idea how nice it can be. It is spread out (suburban sprawl) but other than that is has everything we had in Ca but much much cheaper overall- except for car insurance- Michigan has some of the highest rates in the country. Yes, it snows here (so what) but you obviously aren't opposed to that.
People lump metro Detroit with Detroit and believe all of the media bashing. I can't say I know much about Warren but my I do have school age children and have done the research.

Ferndale is cute but the public schools aren't so great.

Personally I would look for houses that fall into the Birmingham school district. It doesn't mean you have to live in Birmingham proper just look at the district boundaries when looking for housing. Also Rochester Hills and Troy have both good and not so great areas in terms of schools.

We used this site when deciding which areas we were considering to relocate (we lurked a great deal) and I learned so much before we even got here.

Some people here will complain about the roads (potholes, construction, etc.) which kind of makes me laugh because we had the same problems in Ca and our roads weren't subjected to harsh winter salt.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 PM

723 posts, read 806,237 times
Quote:

People living in Michigan use to have those types of jokes !
I went to court for a traffic ticket in Rochester hills/ rochester area, the guy I met at the door told me
" You are done, they will get you, this court is hell ! ".
Guess what happened? I won the case, the ticket was dismissed !

Old 10-29-2014, 12:07 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:

The rub is that most of the suburbs are a concrete jungle. With exception of Hines Drive and Rouge Park, the access to nature is found in the suburbs on the outskirts of the metro area - such as Rochester, Ortonville, Oakland Township, Milford, South Lyon in Oakland County, and the northern suburbs of Macomb County. It is mostly a flat metro area with little interesting topography besides the bodies of water - Lake St. Clair, the Detroit River, Lake Erie, and the lake country in northwest Oakland County.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:01 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
People in Metro Detroit are their own most enemy at being negative about the region, just like your interviewers questioning you rationale for moving here. I venture that a lot of people do not get out much or have a more national or global perspective.

That being said, surburban lifestyle in most major metros is all very similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit