Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,704 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am really looking to volunteer somewhere this year for thanksgiving. I have tried to contact everyone from capuchin down to the rescue mission and everyone is booked up. I will pretty much do anything from serving food to writing emails. I really don't care as long as I am helping out on thanksgiving.
I mainly want to volunteer in detroit somewhere but I could go to southfield or downtown royal oak.

Does anyone know of any places that need volunteers? Help me out, I am desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,892,436 times
Salvation Army feeds people on the holidays. KP?

America's Thanksgiving Parade is staffed by volunteers.

http://mitchalbomcharities.org/say-detroit

Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,830,949 times
Great idea! Here's another site to try: VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins

Old 11-14-2014, 06:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,044,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmimay707 View Post
Hi

I am really looking to volunteer somewhere this year for thanksgiving. I have tried to contact everyone from capuchin down to the rescue mission and everyone is booked up. I will pretty much do anything from serving food to writing emails. I really don't care as long as I am helping out on thanksgiving.
I mainly want to volunteer in detroit somewhere but I could go to southfield or downtown royal oak.

Does anyone know of any places that need volunteers? Help me out, I am desperate.
My wife needs some help.

Call the Detroit Rescue Mission

Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 PM

263 posts, read 435,278 times
Ah yes, the onslaught of Thanksgiving volunteers!

The notion is nice, but it's too bad that these people who mean-well only tend to demonstrate such generousity
& goodwill one or two days (Thanksgiving & Christmas) a year, instead of finding the time & desire to help throughout the year.

I'm not the only regular volunteer who had great disdain for the people that'd show-up that one day a year (often just for an hour or two) so they could brag to their friends about it for the other 364 days in the year. For some of them, it seemed like it would ruin their Thanksgiving if we deprived them of their right to announce to everyone they knew that they'd be volunteering at ______ on Thanksgiving, so we had one hour long shifts just to allow as many of these one-day wonders to feed their ego.

If you really want to help, if you really just need good karma, or really want to be appreciated & respected, please volunteer throughout the year -- don't be the 98,751,103rd person to think you'll be a wonderful person for volunteering on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Altruism? Bah, Humbug!

Tim
former Detroit charity group lead volunteer

Old 11-17-2014, 10:41 PM

20,863 posts, read 19,328,298 times
^^^ Haha!...and on the other hand you have those who pretend to be homeless for an hour in order to get a free Thanksgiving meal.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:10 PM

263 posts, read 435,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
^^^ Haha!...and on the other hand you have those who pretend to be homeless for an hour in order to get a free Thanksgiving meal.
True, but whether they actually knew it or not, anyone that would do that sort of thing was definitely "in-need."

For anyone interested in psychology, volunteering at a shelter/food kitchen type place is utterly fascinating in terms of the clients, volunteers, & staff. Many clients would blame the economy or sum up their woes by saying they lost their job, but in 99% of the cases there were underlying psychological factors that caused them to be there, regardless of whether they were client, volunteer, or staff.

I helped people, *and* had my opinions on human nature & basic belief in the veracity stereotypes re-confirmed.

Detroit Volunteer Opportunities

Old 11-23-2014, 03:40 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,830,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
Ah yes, the onslaught of Thanksgiving volunteers!

The notion is nice, but it's too bad that these people who mean-well only tend to demonstrate such generousity
& goodwill one or two days (Thanksgiving & Christmas) a year, instead of finding the time & desire to help throughout the year.

I'm not the only regular volunteer who had great disdain for the people that'd show-up that one day a year (often just for an hour or two) so they could brag to their friends about it for the other 364 days in the year. For some of them, it seemed like it would ruin their Thanksgiving if we deprived them of their right to announce to everyone they knew that they'd be volunteering at ______ on Thanksgiving, so we had one hour long shifts just to allow as many of these one-day wonders to feed their ego.

If you really want to help, if you really just need good karma, or really want to be appreciated & respected, please volunteer throughout the year -- don't be the 98,751,103rd person to think you'll be a wonderful person for volunteering on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Altruism? Bah, Humbug!

Tim
former Detroit charity group lead volunteer

Yeesh, what a sad way of looking at other people who mean well!! There's no need to look down on volunteers, whenever they come around. Better to encourage them to come at other times, rather than stereotype and look down your nose at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit