Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 PM

40 posts, read 65,301 times

Advertisements

First, please excuse the name. I come in peace and respect your two Big Ten programs :-)

I'll be relocating to Auburn Hills for work soon. It's me and my girlfriend and her 10 year old daughter.

I'm not sure I should buy a house first thing in the door, but feel a need to at least get the school district right, as this will be the third district for the 10 year old in two years. I'd love to pick that district right (quality schools), rent in the district and then later buy a house there.

If I were to buy a house, my budget would be around $200,000. Rent-wise, I could go up over a thousand if need be, but my main goal is to find a safe apartment / area in an economically friendly location within driving decent distance of Auburn Hills. Apartment ideally would have three or four bedrooms and two bathrooms (one bedroom for home office).

Any suggestions?

I appreciate your help! My next step will be to find my girlfriend a job up north! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,610 times
It's really rare for apartments to have more than 2 bedrooms. We looked at 3 bedrooms apartments and all the bedrooms were super tiny. It would be better to rent a 3-4 bedroom house if you are looking for 3-4 bedrooms w/a decent amount of space.

You really should rent in the area before moving/buying.

Personally, I'd go for Troy or Rochester/Rochester Hills in terms of schools. Avondale has good schools as well, but aren't ranked as high as Troy or Rochester. Auburn Hills kids go to Avondale schools and wouldn't be a bad area to rent either.

If you want to go more North, then think about Orion Township or Oxford.

Sterling Heights or Shelby Township aren't that far from Auburn Hills either and rents tend to be a bit cheaper because its Macomb County, not Oakland.

Avoid Pontiac.

You can find what people have to say about these towns elsewhere on the forum.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 21,951 times
I have found Zillow to be a good resource for assessing school systems in a given area. The results are consistent with the recommendations you have been given.

Ratings and Reviews for Oakland County MI's Best Schools - Zillow

Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks to you both, very helpful info! :-)

Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,463 times
Renting a house is not a bad option for the first year.

Rochester Hills or Troy have some of the best schools in the state but will be difficult to find a decent house for $200k.
You will likely have to look farther north of west to get more house for the money.

Clarkston, Lake Orion, and Oxford have good schools and are likely to have more properties in your price range.

Going east, Shelby Township may be an option.

I'd suggest you consider the type/age/size of house too, and factor in the commute.

Do not live in Pontiac or Pontiac School District.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:25 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,426 times
It might be a bit of a commute but Farmington has good schools and houses in that price range. Another option might be Sterling Heights?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:00 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,610 times
Unless you want a long commute and have a specific reason for being there, I really wouldn't choose Farmington. There are good schools/housing closer to where you are going to work.

When we lived in Rochester Hills, my husband had a 45 minute commute to Southfield (on a good day). Which is just east of Farmington. Traffic gets jacked up when there's an accident on 696 or Telegraph (which are the two major arteries that will get you North to Auburn Hills - at peak rush hour times.)

Live as close to work as you can afford. For Rochester Hills, you want to look around South of 59 around South Blvd. You can easily find homes under $200K there. You'll be in Avondale schools, but they really aren't that bad.

It is harder to find housing in Rochester/Rochester Hills in your price range, but you can certainly rent there while you look for something to buy. (The housing market is 'hot' in that area.)

In the end, you are going to want to see your girlfriend and support the daughter at school events. Life is just easier when you live close to where you work.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:02 PM

Finding rental properties in these areas are tough!

Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,770 times
Gonna repeat what those people said. Avoid living in Pontiac school district. It's rated worse than Detroit's and Flint's school districts. Seriously. Try not to rent a house, it's really expensive there.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:18 PM

What about Sun Communities White Lake Mobile Home Park?

I wouldn't mind living in a trailer, they look VERY nice... but down here in Ohio, trailer parks often have higher crime. Anyone know anything about it? White Lake looks like an OK area, the park looks nice... but has anyone heard anything about these types of developments?

Looks like either Huron Valley Schools or Waterford Schools.

1415 Fisk Rd.
White Lake, MI 48386

There are a couple other developments by Sun like this. Just... is it too good to be true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit