Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:45 AM

603 posts, read 877,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Oh and let's not forget that almost all of the RW media shows how bad Detroit is just to take shots at Liberals. "Look at what those liberals did to Detroit" "Detroit is the way it is because of 40+ years of democratic leadership" blah blah blah. I'm so sick of hearing that crap.
I missed the part where CNN, USAToday, ABC News, NBC News, and CBS News were considered "RW media." You and that other dude can't just resist the opportunity to turn every single thread into a conservative bash-fest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,608 times
[quote=Podo944;37542673]Some areas are cheap, but for a reason.

I followed this fascinating thread from someone wanting to make something out of one those abandoned homes that sold for peanuts.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/detro...-homeless.html[/quote

I admire this guy's bravery and sense of adventure, but wish he had done a lot more homework before coming out here.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:05 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I missed the part where CNN, USAToday, ABC News, NBC News, and CBS News were considered "RW media." You and that other dude can't just resist the opportunity to turn every single thread into a conservative bash-fest.
Ok, find the last post where I tried to turn a thread into a "conservative bash-fest" I'll wait. And while your at it, find where I specifically mentioned those news outlets as "RW media" again... I'll wait. You "missed the part" because there wasn't anything to miss to begin with. And when I said RW media tries to bash democrats by showing how bad Detroit is, I meant people who have literally said "Look at what those liberals did to Detroit" "Detroit is the way it is because of 40+ years of democratic leadership".

For example:
Why is Detroit a mess? One-party rule. Guess which party | NJ.com
Quote:
Why is Detroit a mess? One-party rule. Guess which party
Quote:
Detroit has been the victim of a half-century of one-party “progressive” rule.
Unchecked Liberalism Killed Detroit - The Rush Limbaugh Show
Quote:
Unchecked Liberalism Killed Detroit
Quote:
It was the envy of the world, and now it's the biggest city in the United States to ever go bankrupt. And why? Two things, that are actually under the same umbrella: unions and unchecked liberalism have led to the bankruptcy of Detroit.
5 Ways Liberalism Destroyed Detroit - John Hawkins - Page full
Quote:
5 Ways Liberalism Destroyed Detroit
Quote:
Unfortunately, from 1962 until the present day, the mayor of Detroit has been a Democrat.
The result?
Detroit's population has dropped from 1.8 million to just over 700,000
Quote:
How did Democrats kill one of the most prosperous cities in America? With the same sort of unfettered liberalism that Democrats like Barack Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi want to foist on the rest of the nation.
Quote:
Unions crippled the auto industry
Do I need to go on? Thought so. I pulled all of these articles off of one google search and on the FIRST page, and to make matters worse, I didn't even make it halfway down that first page. And those are direct quotes from the articles and if you want to fact check, I left the links for each article up there for you to do so.

Now go ahead and tell me with a straight face that they aren't trying to take shots at liberals with these quotes. Go ahead.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM

21,145 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Today I spent over an hour driving through Detroit (not on the expressway) and I can confirm there are some parts of Detroit that are worse than can be imagined. They make the poor slums in third world countries look "thriving" by comparison.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Ok, find the last post where I tried to turn a thread into a "conservative bash-fest" I'll wait. And while your at it, find where I specifically mentioned those news outlets as "RW media" again... I'll wait. You "missed the part" because there wasn't anything to miss to begin with. And when I said RW media tries to bash democrats by showing how bad Detroit is, I meant people who have literally said "Look at what those liberals did to Detroit" "Detroit is the way it is because of 40+ years of democratic leadership".

For example:
Why is Detroit a mess? One-party rule. Guess which party | NJ.com
Unchecked Liberalism Killed Detroit - The Rush Limbaugh Show
5 Ways Liberalism Destroyed Detroit - John Hawkins - Page full
Do I need to go on? Thought so. I pulled all of these articles off of one google search and on the FIRST page, and to make matters worse, I didn't even make it halfway down that first page. And those are direct quotes from the articles and if you want to fact check, I left the links for each article up there for you to do so.

Now go ahead and tell me with a straight face that they aren't trying to take shots at liberals with these quotes. Go ahead.
Welcome to the Detroit forums, where the emotionally fragile in faraway places come to bash.
It's not just the fringe RW media - the "mainstream", less aggressive, corporate media wants power in Washington and an administration which will give them anything they want (mainly deregulation), thus pertinent stories go selectively unreported which a real liberal media would cover - as some do outside of the "mainstream". "Journalists" like Stephanopolous and his ilk are hirelings for this corporate agenda, and seems to have many people fooled imo.

Also funny how this "mainstream liberal" media, constantly demonized by RW trolls, never criticizes Faux News etal, who in return trash the "mainstream liberal" media daily 24-7. Yep, some "liberal" media LOL.

As has been pointed out, for decades criticizing Detroit and its problems has been a staple of this "mainstream" media until more recently when good things have started to happen - thus the whining from the Old White Disgruntled Right (Limbaugh's audience) who see hints that their agenda might be going up in flames.

Stuff like this from 2012 is what wads RW panties:
Detroit Adds Manufacturing Jobs, Rises To Number Two Spot In Top U.S. Metropolitan Areas For Job Growth
Detroit had second-highest gain in manufacturing jobs in last 2 years, report finds | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

You see, Detroit (for starters) must fail if the RW is to succeed.
I mentioned "unreported stories" or ones ignored by the corporate "mainstream" media - here is one:
Who Killed Detroit City and Why? | Dave Hodges – The Common Sense Show

We see that it is corporate practices which did the deed - no wonder the "mainstream" corporate silence on this reality, and the sleight-of-hand demonizing of Detroit's residents and "liberals" as the cause of all our problems.

So is Detroit "as bad as people say"? No, but notice how such a title draws the RW flies. Well, we have not heard from the OP about his news/gossip sources which might be pertinent to the thread he started. I urge him to respond.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 12-07-2014 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 11:50 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Today I spent over an hour driving through Detroit (not on the expressway) and I can confirm there are some parts of Detroit that are worse than can be imagined. They make the poor slums in third world countries look "thriving" by comparison.
That was my experience as well.

I was last in Detroit during the summer of 2013 and have to say that I did not feel safe at all while driving around in the city. There was an weird feeling about Detroit where I felt like I was going to be carjacked, even driving around downtown, at any moment; even the City's police chief was nearly carjacked and believes that the threat of carjacking could be one reason why he sees so many people disobeying traffic laws (Source: Detroit Police Chief James Craig: I was nearly carjacked | MLive.com).

It was a shame, too, as there is obviously so much history in Detroit. But seeing skyscrapers abandoned (these were likely old apartment towers) with windows blown out and graffiti up and down the entire building span was depressing. Seriously, it was like living through an apocalypse movie. Reading about all of the water shutoffs and the fact that street lights have been cut off in parts of the city/the police won't go to parts of the city (Detroit Is Halting Garbage Pickup, Police Patrols In 20% Of City: Expect Bankruptcy In 2011 - Business Insider), things seem as truly depressing as they appeared to be during my visit.

When I was in Detroit (I went down July 4th weekend to a trip to Windsor), I planned on staying in the City limits at a cheap motel for two nights before driving back to work. When I got to the motel, I was so creeped out so that I decided not to stay (there's little doubt in my mind that my car, which was a rental, could've been stolen or something else bad could have happened to me) and found a place in Dearborn. Needless to say, I felt much safer in Dearborn than in Detroit.

I hope that Detroit truly rebounds sometime soon. Until then, however, I am in no rush to get back to that place.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Welcome to the Detroit forums, where the emotionally fragile in faraway places come to bash.
So is Detroit "as bad as people say"? No, but notice how such a title draws the RW flies. Well, we have not heard from the OP about his news/gossip sources which might be pertinent to the thread he started. I urge him to respond.
And those of us who travel the streets on a daily basis...

If construction doesn't deter you, (the potential) for crime will.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 AM

21,145 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
And herein lies the disconnect between people who have lived all their lives in the brutality of Detroit and those who have lived their lives in the more pleasant parts of the city/country. If you have lived your whole life in Detroit, you have gotten used to vacant homes/lots, burnt out buildings, litter strewn fields, abandoned lots with weeds growing 4 feet high, groups of people walking down the center of the street or loitering around, homeless people constantly asking for money, siren and gunshot echoes all day and night, streetlights that don't work, drivers that don't stop for stop signs or red lights, etc. To people who are not used to such things, Detroit seems a very forbidding place.

I won't comment on the political side because I don't want my post to be deleted for "political threadjacking", but If you would like to know how I feel:

Moderator cut: this is not the politics forum, even if you hide what you want to say in a spoiler tag, it's still off topic

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2014 at 02:22 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCowboy90 View Post
People and media always make Detroit looks like one of the worst cities in America. I know Detroit has some real enonomic and crime problems, but I wonder: It is really that "dump" as they say it is? What's Detroit really like?

I do not know the answer but I can tell you about an experience I had once. I was working at an international airport, a plane passengers were waiting to board was searched by a large group of TSA officers and bomb sniffing dogs. It turns out one of the cleaning crew found a bullet on the plane. Guess where the plane had come in from? You guessed it Detriot.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:12 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I do not know the answer but I can tell you about an experience I had once. I was working at an international airport, a plane passengers were waiting to board was searched by a large group of TSA officers and bomb sniffing dogs. It turns out one of the cleaning crew found a bullet on the plane. Guess where the plane had come in from? You guessed it Detriot.

a bunch of pants-wetting ninny's you say?

I picked up 3,250 bullets from Cabela's last Saturday. Walking down the ammo-aisle, I was surrounded by perhaps half-a-million bullets. No one was harmed, but the potential for "ammo-spraying" was just soooooo apparent..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit