Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:03 AM

54 posts, read 128,493 times

Advertisements

It is a rare quality indeed for a person to be able to verbally and mentally profess that their current situation is directly related to their previous actions. However it is the true basis to any successful recovery program. Social, business, personal change can not take place until you admit your part then approach the problem with a wholehearted desire to see a change for the better. Mommonkey can you follow what I am trying to say? If everything in your environment perpetuates the beliefs and actions of your predecessors how can you expect them to get over the pain of the past and trust you to be the beginning of a new direction?
Yes I plan to relocate because life is too short to live with the segregation issues of Detroit Metro after all I was not born into it and I do not wish to become acclimated to it, but if you plan to stay start with yourself and your household then work on your community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:16 AM

478 posts, read 1,657,542 times
Default Sorry I missed your thread

Reconmark,

I'm glad you've made the move to W. Bloomfield -- though I have little experience there it sounds like it will be a much better atmosphere for you and your girls.

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 AM

12 posts, read 32,824 times
Come on now. Did you really need to ask that question? The tried and true expression still applies: When In Doubt, Do Without. Besides, Southfield is cool. Why go the route of what they call "white flight"? You can have all of the things you are looking for in Oakland county without going through all of the racial B.S. that's associated with Livonia. Now, don't get me twisted; Livonia's alright. But if a 90% white population is what makes this one a prospect for residency then I say it's up to you.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:05 PM

19 posts, read 72,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I've posted here on a number of ocassions and I need an honest answer from the board.
I'm looking to relocate, and I've considered Berkley and southfield, I'm also considering Livonia.
Now I recently heard of a white man intimidating one white home owner for contemplating the possibility of selling his home to a black family and this same indivisual recently received jail time for sending threatening letters to a black family currently living in livonia.
Coming from Detroit I know how people can take the minority of something bad and claim everyone is that way.
Will Livonia be a good city to live in if I want peace and quiet and a good school system for my children?
Please be painfully honest.
Thanks.

You've been living here for ? and posting here for a year and seriously don't know the metro area?
Agent provocateur.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTroyt View Post
You've been living here for ? and posting here for a year and seriously don't know the metro area?
Agent provocateur.
You know, I came here asking a simple question and I have to get a smart$ss.
I have lived in metro detroit from birth untill I was 18 and joined the service, I came back 6 years later and still lived in the city of Detroit.
Due to many factors including the segregation, racial attituldes, and being stopped for simply driving in some communities, no I do not know the suburbs quite well.
Posting here for a year plays into my original question how?
Living in the city plays into my original question how?
Does someone who grew up in Livonia automatically know the city of Detroit? I thought not.
I still visit the board frequently but I mainly visit politics and controversies, I appreciate everones replies more trhan you realize.
I don't visit the michigan or Detroit site much anymore because I frankly got tired of the ignorance, racism from all sides and the silly snipes like the one above.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 39,095 times
Your girls will not have an unpleasant experience in Livonia. I go to Stevenson High and we've had a greater influx of african american students over the last couple of years, and everybody is welcomed. color doesn't matter. People really overexaggerate the racism in livonia. Please move here, we'd love to have you.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 PM

54 posts, read 128,493 times
Maresquare you're my hero!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 PM

282 posts, read 1,169,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I've posted here on a number of ocassions and I need an honest answer from the board.
I'm looking to relocate, and I've considered Berkley and southfield, I'm also considering Livonia.
Now I recently heard of a white man intimidating one white home owner for contemplating the possibility of selling his home to a black family and this same indivisual recently received jail time for sending threatening letters to a black family currently living in livonia.
Coming from Detroit I know how people can take the minority of something bad and claim everyone is that way.
Will Livonia be a good city to live in if I want peace and quiet and a good school system for my children?
Please be painfully honest.
Thanks.
All I know from having a wife raised in Livonia and her dad being a cop is that blacks ARE NOT welcome in Livonia. Plus I've heard stories and read in the paper about blacks being pulled over as soon as they entered the city limits.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:45 PM

225 posts, read 818,121 times
Maybe your father-in-law had a more seasoned insight than you do.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 AM

282 posts, read 1,169,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
Maybe your father-in-law had a more seasoned insight than you do.
Nio kidding. But where did I mention MY insight. Read it again oh knowledgeable one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit