U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2015, 11:30 AM
 
1,648 posts, read 3,055,928 times
Reputation: 1443

Advertisements

I have yet to come across a section of Detroit where I feel unsafe or scared or concerned for my life.

If you do find such an area - do let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2015, 11:42 AM
 
Location: FL
1,138 posts, read 3,022,006 times
Reputation: 792
Default Detroit fun

Downtown is safe! Love it there. Just keep your eyes and ears open and look about you when outside for opportunists. Generally police are present more during the day. There's lots to do and see there. My favorite places are on Monroe street, good food, sports arena's and casino and Woodward, for comedy club Fox Theater. Can move about the downtown on the monorail it's fantastic!

Last edited by mary54mi; 03-12-2015 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: word omission
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 12:21 PM
 
35 posts, read 63,398 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I have yet to come across a section of Detroit where I feel unsafe or scared or concerned for my life.

If you do find such an area - do let me know.
That's a huge claim, and quite contradictory to what outside world views about Detroit. Let's hope it will be exactly as you described. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 12:24 PM
 
35 posts, read 63,398 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Downtown is safe! Love it there. Just keep your eyes and ears open and look about you when outside for opportunists. Generally police are present more during the day. There's lots to do and see there. My favorite places are on Monroe street, good food, sports arena's and casino and Woodward, for comedy club Fox Theater. Can move about the downtown on the monorail it's fantastic!
Wonderful! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 5,430,172 times
Reputation: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Oh right, I forgot I'm not supposed to address high crime in the city because you all live in the safe suburbs where you pretend the problems in the city don't exist.
Bruh you wouldn't last a week in the hood I'm from. The REAL hood not downtown or the suburbs. So miss me with that. The fact is as "animatedmartian" said, what your saying has almost nothing to do with the OP. And as usual, your not helping one bit. But just trying to scare people away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
 
1,648 posts, read 3,055,928 times
Reputation: 1443
Considering I live and work in Detroit - I'm allowed to make such a claim.

Just because people from the outside world make contradictory claims, doesn't make them true.

Every single block in Midtown and Downtown is now under 24/7 survelliance by either Wayne State Police or Dan Gilbert. There's NOTHING to fear.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/26/bu...trip.html?_r=0
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 08:50 AM
 
2,252 posts, read 2,572,039 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Bruh you wouldn't last a week in the hood I'm from.
That's what I've been saying all along, cities like Detroit or Flint are not suitable for people from the civilized world. Thanks for confirming this. Would you mind elaborating on this? Seems really interesting the stories from the real hood.
Quote:
The REAL hood not downtown or the suburbs. So miss me with that.
Well, downtown is an island of relative safety surrounded by crime and blight. The only safe way in or out would be through Canada. Still not very appealing to me but to each his own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 09:04 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,090 posts, read 27,345,585 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Considering I live and work in Detroit - I'm allowed to make such a claim.

Just because people from the outside world make contradictory claims, doesn't make them true.

Every single block in Midtown and Downtown is now under 24/7 survelliance by either Wayne State Police or Dan Gilbert. There's NOTHING to fear.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/26/bu...trip.html?_r=0
Isn't this an oxymoron? Like saying I am from the government, I am here to help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 5,430,172 times
Reputation: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
That's what I've been saying all along, cities like Detroit or Flint are not suitable for people from the civilized world. Thanks for confirming this. Would you mind elaborating on this? Seems really interesting the stories from the real hood.
Well, downtown is an island of relative safety surrounded by crime and blight. The only safe way in or out would be through Canada. Still not very appealing to me but to each his own.
No I said that because of the way you act here on CD. The crap you say on this board is far from "civilized", more like "Trollworld". I'm just going to pretend your not trolling for a second. Just look at the last part of your post, your afraid of your own damn shadow. The chances of you being the victim of a crime just from driving to/from downtown to/from the suburbs, you literally have a better chance of getting into a car accident. Lol grow some balls man your scarier than a little girl, screw the hood, a suburban teenager will probably even try you. If you mind your business you will be fine (that's why I said a week and not a day). But knowing you, it would only take a week for you to open up that mouth of yours and spew your nonsense, and the moment you do, the word will spread like wildfire about a clown that just moved to the neighborhood. Assuming they even take you seriously, you will have a huge target on your back that you painted on yourself just from saying the stuff you do. Most people in my old neighborhood and Detroit period are civilized and decent people, of course you wouldn't know that because you've never even been to the city. But there is a difference between a person acting civilized and a person acting like a soft little bit*h about everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 05:51 AM
 
2,252 posts, read 2,572,039 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
No I said that because of the way you act here on CD. The crap you say on this board is far from "civilized", more like "Trollworld". I'm just going to pretend your not trolling for a second. Just look at the last part of your post, your afraid of your own damn shadow. The chances of you being the victim of a crime just from driving to/from downtown to/from the suburbs, you literally have a better chance of getting into a car accident. Lol grow some balls man your scarier than a little girl, screw the hood, a suburban teenager will probably even try you. If you mind your business you will be fine (that's why I said a week and not a day). But knowing you, it would only take a week for you to open up that mouth of yours and spew your nonsense, and the moment you do, the word will spread like wildfire about a clown that just moved to the neighborhood. Assuming they even take you seriously, you will have a huge target on your back that you painted on yourself just from saying the stuff you do. Most people in my old neighborhood and Detroit period are civilized and decent people, of course you wouldn't know that because you've never even been to the city. But there is a difference between a person acting civilized and a person acting like a soft little bit*h about everything.
I'll stay away from the hood but thanks for your concern. I know how easy it is to accidentally drive into one, it happened to me in several American cities. So, I'd rather still not live anywhere near any real hoods and wouldn't advice anyone to do so either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top