Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:14 AM

103 posts, read 453,165 times

Advertisements

Good morning,
Well my wonderful husband just informed me of another possible relocation for his job. We are originally from northern Ohio and have been living in Alabama ( I know) for over a year. Although it hasn't been stereotypical southern, we have had a lack of shopping and conveniences close by. We have a teenage daughter and obviously schools are important however statistics don't always prove good schools if you know what I mean. She is very laid back and "status" isn't important to her or my husband and I. We would like "middle of the road" white collar subdivision, close to shopping, movies entertainment etc. I love the feel of "older city downtown with character" with modern conveniences in close proximity. We would be looking at possibly renting/leasing for a year or two and willing to spend about $250K on a home. Husband will be travelling to Ohio, Troy Mi. and Canada weekly for his accounts. Ideally close to highways, and any advice on great suburbs south or southwest of the city are a plus. I would like to find part time work only and I am currently in furniture sales (exciting I know). Any help would be greatly appreciated and were looking forward to coming "Home to the Midwest"!!

Last edited by Clarkx3; 01-15-2008 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: added information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Why don't you look into living in Troy? Pretty nice homes for a decent amount...

We are transplants too. We are from Cincinnati and moved here due to my hubby's job. We are renting and we are in Shelby Twp. We also lived in Rochester Hills...That is really close to Troy... Both are very close to I-75. Rochester has a cute little downtown area...

Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Schools?

Thanks Danielle...you been there long? I am just trying to research as much as possible. We'll fly up soon to look around since company pays Do you have school age children? Like I said we don't need cream of the crop but we do want above average education. I feel we are upper middle class as well as lifestyle..I don't mean that offensive to anyone just that we don't need a McMansion and yet we don't want something too small. I appreciate your help. It's hard to move alot but I feel most "at home" in the Midwest.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkx3 View Post
Thanks Danielle...you been there long? I am just trying to research as much as possible. We'll fly up soon to look around since company pays Do you have school age children? Like I said we don't need cream of the crop but we do want above average education. I feel we are upper middle class as well as lifestyle..I don't mean that offensive to anyone just that we don't need a McMansion and yet we don't want something too small. I appreciate your help. It's hard to move alot but I feel most "at home" in the Midwest.
We have been here for about 4 years. My hubby is finishing up his residency at Henry Ford Hospital...I have 2 girls. My oldest is in preschool so not quite of school age yet. I am a midwesterner as well and MI has been an adjustment. Its nice, but its not home either.
If I were you I would definitly stick to the Troy, Rochester Hills or Rochester area. These area's all have very nice homes, very nice neighborhoods and great schools. You can get your "average" home or you can get a McMansion as well...There really are no bad area's in these neighborhoods that I know of... Pluse your hubby will be working in Troy so almost no commute...He will have about an 35 min. drive to the Bridge to Canada though. But I don't think that is bad at all.
Are you guys going to rent first or buy right out?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
If you are middle-upper class and want a quaint, walkable downtown, your best bet isn't Troy as it doesn't offer the latter. Rochester does offer these things, and we looked there ourselves, but it's a bit far from most conveniences and the rest of the metro, being at the northern end. If your husband had to travel frequently to Flint and points north, I would definitely recommend it. As it stands, you probably want to be close to I-75/I-696 and the Lodge to get conveniently to OH and Canada while still being within spitting distance of Troy.

All together, this points to Birmingham, Franklin, Royal Oak, Berkley, Clawson, and Ferndale. Birmingham and Franklin are both in the Birmingham school district which are tops in the state. Birmingham's downtown is significantly gentrified now but it's walkable and quaint with free parking in garages. It's where you'll see Pink walking her dog and pro athletes wandering once in a while. But don't get me wrong, it's not Rodeo Dr. There are coffee shops, thai restuarants, pizza shops and coneys next to jewelry stores and Anthropologie. It reminds me in some ways of a New England town with the tudorish city hall. There are pictures at Birmingham, MI - Trendy downtown & home tour pictures from us travel photos on webshots.

Franklin is the town that time forgot. It's more rural with a cider mill and more of a small, country downtown if that's your thing.

Royal Oak is similar to Birmingham but perhaps not quite as upscale. You also get celebrities here with people like Jack White (and formerly Renee Zellweger), Jeff Daniels, and Kid Rock hanging out. It's where the last winner of Project Runway, a Detroit native, chose to do his trunk show - don't ask, wife is a big fan.

Ferndale is the funky downtown just north of the city. It won't be as convenient for you in terms of location and it's probably a bit edgy for your tastes, but it's worth putting out there.

Finally, Clawson and Berkley are the dark horses. They do have a downtowns that are developing and they are the least pretentious out of the group. Berkley is not as walkable or as quaint as B'ham and RO, but there are still some nice shops. Clawson's downtown is small but growing. These two have good schools and are quite affordable.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 PM

57 posts, read 163,318 times
Clinton Township is a nice place to live. My g/f is raising 2 kids there and says that the her schools are good. She loves the convenience of the shopping factor with M-59 (between Van Dyke and I-94) and Clinton Twp is not that far from Troy, to get to the Bridge takes about 20 minutes down I-94, you are not that far from Great Lakes Crossing either.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 AM

Default Southside?

In everyones honest opinion is there anything worth looking at south of the city in the burbs? I really am leaning toward some places already but don't want to rule anything out. This woul make his commute to Oh. 3 days a week a little more tolerable but I didn't see too much that interested me south of Dearborn etc. Thanks again!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
If you are interested in south of Detroit (downriver), look at Grosse Ile township. It is an absolutely wonderful family oriented place with great schools. About 45 minutes to Toledo and about 45 minutes to Troy (if you hustle). It is about 20-25 miles south of Detroit. It is out in the water, you access the islands via either of two bridges). It is less than half an hour to the Ambassador bridge barring weather, construction, or traffic problems on the I-75 (there is rarely any problem with any of these issues).

There are lots of older homes with character. Some newer homes. Price ranges from low to mid $200k up to the sky (someone is building a $30 million home right now). Mostly middle to upper middle class. It has a very small business district which is a mix of new and old. The business district has the basics (groceries, pharmacy, hardware, bakery, dollar store) and several art galleries, banks and real estate offices. Most of the businesses are small independent and friendly. There is a pretty nice Kroger with star bucks, and a sav on or some such. There is also an awesome independent grocery (Nates). Even the bigger stores are friendly and will order products that you tell them you want and they do nto carry. More involved shopping is about 4 miles (Home Depot, Target, Wallmart, Super K-mart, Meier's) to about 8 miles (Southland mall and surrounding businesses).

In your price range, you will not be able to get waterfront property, but their are lots of really beautiful homes inland and some remarkable deals in your price range. Look at Jewell Colony if you can find something in your price range. If not, try the giant subdivision that is near Parke Lane Elementary. You will readily find homes in your price range there. Hickory Island is phenomenal too, but it is a longer drive. There is really no place to avoid in Grosse Ile, unless you are next to the sewer plant, every place is wonderful.

Wikipedia says Grosse Ile is the safest place in Michigan. I have no idea if that is completely true, but crime is not really an issue here. You are more likely to have a deer run into your car than a bad guy break into it.

You should at least take a look. If you like it. Either contact me and my wife or I can show you around if we are home, or find a Realtor. I would not suggest using an off island Realtor unless they are from Wyandotte or Trenton.

Grosse Ile is hard to find. You access the bridges off of Jefferson between Pennsylvania and Sibley in Wyandotte (toll bridge), or off of Jefferson at Van Horn in Trenton (free bridge).

Old 01-16-2008, 05:23 PM

For your job, you could look at Lazy boy based in Monroe. I am not sure if that is the kind of thing that you do, but they are the biggest furniture manufacturer that I know of south of Detroit.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:42 PM

I forgot about your school questions. The high school is small, but very good. It has about 700 students total. The teachers know almost all of the students, which we like a lot. Almost all of the graduates go on to college of some kind. For these reasons we chose Grosse Ile over other schools with higher statistical ratings. They are still the best schools downriver, but not as highly rated as Bloomfiled, Plymouth, Ann Arbor, and other giant school districts. We felt that it provided the best overall high school experience.

There are status snobs like anywhere, but we buy our clothing at Target, Meiiers, or Salvation army and our 16 year old daughters fit in just fine.

It is not a big sports school. We have a football team, but they usually lose. The crew team is really good and I think that the tennis and golf teams are good. The band is good sized (around 70 kids I think). They are reasonably good, but they do not really compete much. They mostly have fun. The school building is older (1960s) but recently updated. It is pretty basic, although the middle school had some really nice features.

Mostly it is just an old fashioned solid college prep education. Not a lot of frills.

You also wanted movies. There are two theaters that are about 15-20 minute drive way. None on the islands. One is star and one is MJR. There is a $1.50 second run MJR in Allen Park about the same distance, maybe a little bit further.

Your daughter may like some of the GIFT (Grosse Ile Fun for Teens) activities. I think you can find them on the web. In the summer they show drive in style movies at the high school. I think it is once a week, maybe once a month. They have a lot of other activities all year round. GIYRA provides early sports programs.

Your daughter can ride her bike around anywhere on the island with little concern if she stays on the bike trails sidewalks and smaller streets. The highest speed limit on the island is 35 so traffic danger is somewhat less than many other places.

I am not sure if I would allow my kids to ride bikes off the island. This is really due to traffic concerns more than crime concerns, but they have never expressed an interest in doing so, so we do not have to decide.

there is almost no diversity here. I think that there are three black kids in the high school and possibly four or five each of Hispanic, Asian, Indian, etc. The community seems to host a lot of exchange students. I have not heard of a lot of prejudice/bigots, but this is not a place for diversity (most of the suburbs are not).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-16-2008 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit