Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 03:16 PM

16 posts, read 14,128 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am looking for an apartment, preferably in a complex. And since I know absolutely nothing about the area we are moving to I thought I would ask for help.

We are adults in our 50's who want to live in the Canton/Westland area and are looking for 3 bed two bath apartments. We preferably want to be in a complex because we don't want to spend all of our spare time doing lawn work.

Any help you can provide would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
At first I was going to say Warren to Ann Arbor is long spread, you need to narrow down your focus area. But seems like you are focusing on Canton/Westland area. That shouldn't be too difficult. Sounds like you know what you want. Shouldn't be too hard to find it

Old 04-09-2015, 07:20 AM

Thanks we have a few ideas but I know nothing about the complexes. I read reviews on line but they are all negative and I cannot believe every complex is that horrible.

We are looking at Cinnamon Pointe and The Singh Group apartments which include Summit Creek, Wyndchase and Turnbury Park. If anyone can help with that let me know. And thank you ahead of time!

Old 04-09-2015, 12:21 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneycrew View Post
Thanks we have a few ideas but I know nothing about the complexes. I read reviews on line but they are all negative and I cannot believe every complex is that horrible.

We are looking at Cinnamon Pointe and The Singh Group apartments which include Summit Creek, Wyndchase and Turnbury Park. If anyone can help with that let me know. And thank you ahead of time!
Here's the thing, people will complain about EVERYTHING. Most people take the time out to make reviews to complain. What you want to do is read through alot of them and see if it is just a bad experience or a reoccurring problem. Also look through the reviews and see if they are problems you can deal with. I would look through all of the apartments along the I-275 corridor, including rented out homes, duplexes, townhouses, ect.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Just look at the pictures of the complexes to make the list of places you want to visit and proximity to places you visit (e.g. Whole Foods, Barnes and Noble, Starbucks etc).

The negative comments are just trolls - only worth reading for entertainment purposes. Plus it's an apartment - so they turn over so fast - anyone's view from "2-3 years ago" is already outdated because most people don't live in the same complex more than 3-5 years. It's on to others or home ownership.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:13 PM

48 posts, read 65,218 times
Agreed about negative reviews, my apartment complex has CRAZY negative reviews but really, its cheap, clean and exactly like the model I saw (which was nice as well) -- people are crazzzy complaining about nothing on some of those ratings sites.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneycrew View Post

Singh is ok but beware, I know they are planning major rate hikes at least one of their properties this year. I wouldn't describe them as "horrible," but overall construction is just ok, maintenance barely adequate, and they tend to hire bizarre people to manage the buildings, and they often have a fiefdom mentality--ie it is your privilege to live there.

All else equal, I would likely look elsewhere, the people who live there that I know pay way too much in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:50 AM

Thank you all for your help. My husband actually went to look at Uptown in Canton and was really impressed with it. He is taking me back this weekend to see it.

I was a bit leery of living downtown because it is usually for the young crowd and we passed youn about 20 years ago. But I figured if he liked it it must be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit