Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:44 AM

159 posts, read 169,979 times

Advertisements

Hi all - how is Detroit doing today?

My wife has accepted a job in Pontiac, MI at the GM powertrain division. She was looking for places to stay within driving distance. Her foremost criteria is safety and security. She has never lived alone before.

About us, we live in Indianapolis, IN and I work there. I have to find a job in Detroit and join my wife within 6months-2 years. We live in kind of sketchy part of town, but being in an older highrise with gated parking and keyfob access, she thinks that the building is pretty secure.

So she is looking for something similar nearby Pontiac area. She looked at a few properties and most of them don't have gated parking and controlled entrances. Her budget is <$1100. One bedroom APT would work great and she does not have pets. She would be living alone, and I would drop in on the weekends.

The only apartment which fits close to her critieria is Troy Place in Troy, MI. I heard that it is going to be a terrible commute on I75, But I have been told that there are surface streets which kind of make the commute easier.

So Detroiters!!, has anybody heard of the apartment "Troy Place" Home Is there any other highrise kind of building in the area? Is there something in the area which we need to worry about??

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 04:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
Waterford around Airport Rd going west, Walled Lake, or even Auburn (east) and north towards Lapeer, Clarkston and Oxford

Old 05-06-2015, 05:28 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,571,624 times
Six floors isn't really much of a high-rise here and you'd unlikely find a taller building with that cheap of a rent. Most apartments in that area are 2-3 floors.

From those apartments to the GM place in Pontiac, the drive is should be pretty easy though still heavier than what you're probably used to.

You'll be in a very affluent area and crime is pretty low. Even in the area of Pontiac where the GM plant is, crime should be pretty low though some of the areas north of the plant and northwest of downtown Pontiac are a little bit sketchy. But the sketchy areas are pretty small and only make a difference if you were out walking around at night or otherwise be involved in activities that you ought not to be involved in in the first place.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Waterford around Airport Rd going west, Walled Lake, or even Auburn (east) and north towards Lapeer, Clarkston and Oxford
Thanks but,I did not exactly get this, are these apartment names or towns where I can look for highrises??

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Six floors isn't really much of a high-rise here and you'd unlikely find a taller building with that cheap of a rent. Most apartments in that area are 2-3 floors.

From those apartments to the GM place in Pontiac, the drive is should be pretty easy though still heavier than what you're probably used to.

You'll be in a very affluent area and crime is pretty low. Even in the area of Pontiac where the GM plant is, crime should be pretty low though some of the areas north of the plant and northwest of downtown Pontiac are a little bit sketchy. But the sketchy areas are pretty small and only make a difference if you were out walking around at night or otherwise be involved in activities that you ought not to be involved in in the first place.
Thanks a lot for the reply, this is comforting. She was worried about the reputation of Pontiac, MI. But she is thrilled to work with GM powertrain.

In a highrise we are not exactly looking for height. We are looking more for a gated/controlled entry. She would be driving an older Corolla with steel wheels, so she is not worried about car thefts much. But Troy is pretty safe, as far as I have heard.

Has anybody heard about the Lafayette place lofts in Pontiac MI?

http://lafayetteplacelofts.com/

Looks like a safe building with controlled access, but it is in downtown Pontiac. Can find reviews of this place on www.apartmentreviews.com either. Neighborhood on google street view looks sketchy, but the street view is dated 2009, when things were really really bad.

Last edited by Jomz; 05-07-2015 at 06:47 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 01:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Thanks but,I did not exactly get this, are these apartment names or towns where I can look for highrises??

High-rises around Pontiac? probably not? There may be a few along 59 towards Highland?

Sterling Heights, Madison Heights and Rochester / Troy will have high-rises and higher rents..

Old 05-07-2015, 02:18 PM

995 posts, read 1,227,677 times
As mentioned above, look in Rochester / Rochester Hills area. Not sure about high rises, but they do have good / safe apartment complexes.

I assume that you know that if you open Google Earth / Google Maps, to a window that shows Pontiac and some surrounding areas, and then type in "apartments" or "apartment complexes" ... or anything else, they will show up on the map and you can click on them for further information.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,571,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
He's referring to the names of the suburbs.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply, this is comforting. She was worried about the reputation of Pontiac, MI. But she is thrilled to work with GM powertrain.

In a highrise we are not exactly looking for height. We are looking more for a gated/controlled entry. She would be driving an older Corolla with steel wheels, so she is not worried about car thefts much. But Troy is pretty safe, as far as I have heard.
Gated apartments tend to be more expensive (and usually high quality) in the area around Troy. Gated apartments aren't really that common in Metro Detroit to begin with. The only areas with controlled entry tend to be in Detroit proper but mainly due to the high crime. So literally you would have to move into a sketchy area to find gated apartments or find some exclusive apartments in an affluent area. An alternative option would probably be townhomes with attached garages which are pretty common through the whole region.

Quote:
Has anybody heard about the Lafayette place lofts in Pontiac MI?

Lafayette Place Lofts | The Heart of Downtown Pontiac Has a New Pulse

Looks like a safe building with controlled access, but it is in downtown Pontiac. Can find reviews of this place on Apartment Reviews -- World Apartments either. Neighborhood on google street view looks sketchy, but the street view is dated 2009, when things were really really bad.
Yea since then, downtown Pontiac has had a mini-revitalization spree going on and mostly just Saginaw Street is seeing a lot of new stores and restaurants. It's not at all sketchy but it's also not really all that active for a downtown area. At compared to others in Metro Detroit.

Those lofts should be fine, though I don't know specifically the quality of the lofts themselves.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:05 AM

812 posts, read 1,902,621 times
If it were me and I was moving there by myself --I would not pick to live in Pontiac.

This apartment complex in Rochester which is a very safe suburb has a gated access. High Rises are just not common in suburbs!

http://www.apartments.com/river-oaks...ls-mi/9ztr036/

I would rather drive a bit farther and be in a nice, safe community!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 AM

Thanks all, We might take a few more trips to Pontiac and check a few out. We missed to check out apartments in Rochester. The option of townhome with attached garage also looks safe enough. Will post how it worked out.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,808,693 times
I would not live in Pontiac regardless of how new those lofts are. Also like others stated gated and high rise are not common. If I were your wife I would look for private entry apartments. In the price you are looking at a garage will be hard. I do know of some 1 bedroom/1 den private entry which is basically a 2nd bedroom in West Bloomfield which have a garage and I think those are 1140 when I passed the sign which is Thornberry. I remember awhile back some condos with a garage in walled Lake in the 1100 price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit