Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:26 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,218,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Yes, I understand your point. And my point is that Canada chose to pay for it because those on the American side were less supportive/didn't really care that much about the whole bridge, custom plazas and all. Very few Michiganders believe Detroit needed a 2nd bridge to Canada in the first place, but since we're not paying for it other than through tolls, there's not a whole lot negative to it getting built. Whatever issue you do or don't have with the bridge falls entirely on the Canadian government.
There was almost unanimous support of this bridge by all the Automotive companies in Michigan, as well as other businesses involved in trade. It was the crooked, paid off Michigan politicians who tried to derail this most important economic generator. To say that Michigan did not need this new crossing is ludicrous, as Ontario is Michigans biggest trading partner, and the one bridge that currently exists is slowly falling apart. Trade would be crippled without the redundancy that this new crossing provides! I'm positive that all these people who say the new crossing is not needed have no clue how important trade to Canada is to Michigans economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,659,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
There was almost unanimous support of this bridge by all the Automotive companies in Michigan, as well as other businesses involved in trade. It was the crooked, paid off Michigan politicians who tried to derail this most important economic generator. To say that Michigan did not need this new crossing is ludicrous, as Ontario is Michigans biggest trading partner, and the one bridge that currently exists is slowly falling apart. Trade would be crippled without the redundancy that this new crossing provides! I'm positive that all these people who say the new crossing is not needed have no clue how important trade to Canada is to Michigans economy!
If the auto companies want a bridge, they're welcome to pony up for one. As it is, I can't remember the last time any of them invested a nickel in Michigan without getting a ten-cent tax break.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:21 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,035,917 times
Sorry to bump this thread but one guy filmed around the Gordie Howe bridge construction site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1bRW4qfiYw

And slightly off-topic and it could desserve its own thread, Matty Maroun passed away at the age of 93.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...t-93-1.5647819

Old 07-14-2020, 07:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,677,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If the auto companies want a bridge, they're welcome to pony up for one. As it is, I can't remember the last time any of them invested a nickel in Michigan without getting a ten-cent tax break.
Canada is paying for the bridge. They will collect the money back through tolls. Neither the auto companies nor the state are paying for it.

There will likely be some cost as trade increases and traffic on the I 75 increases. Staffing for larger Border inspection stations. Evnetually maintenance of the buildings. However that will be offset by import/duty fees and other taxes, increased sales tax on gasoline and the like. Increased income tax revenue on additional workers. Less traffic, congestion on the City streets on both sides.

Most of what was filmed was the point of entry (or port of entry) - P.O.E. and the new I-75 interchange work
not the actual bridge location. Actual building construction is still a ways off.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:06 PM

156 posts, read 172,998 times
Americans are so effin sensitive... If you don't praise the US as the greatest country that baby Jesus ever created, then they cry and go into a full blown triggered meltdown...

First of all, the US is failing on multiple fronts, which I don't even have the time to detail because I'd be here typing for hours... Secondly, many Americans have become fact repellent to inconvenient truths which prove that not only is the US not the greatest country in the world, but in many ways it's a 3rd rate sh*t hole..

So with that being said, the fact remains that we're going to have a shiny new bridge connecting Canada and the US, and that's thanks to Canada, so be grateful Michigan... Moreover, the construction of this new bridge will bring jobs to Michigan, and will undoubtedly have a positive effect on a previously rundown and largely vacant area of Detroit.
So make sure you thank a Canadian for helping you and giving you a generous handout America!

Old 07-18-2020, 08:15 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,828,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Did you come here to harass Americans, Jim? These are rather unfriendly comments. They strike me as being both petty and unnecessary.
His posts are often petty. And mean-spirited.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
The truth is petty ?

Did you read the article ? It makes it pretty clear that the US is making little effort in this massive project, while Canada is paying for it. That was my point.

Jim B.
And why might that be, Jim? Canada's paying for it because it's so "nice"?

Old 07-18-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Americans are so effin sensitive... If you don't praise the US as the greatest country that baby Jesus ever created, then they cry and go into a full blown triggered meltdown...

First of all, the US is failing on multiple fronts, which I don't even have the time to detail because I'd be here typing for hours... Secondly, many Americans have become fact repellent to inconvenient truths which prove that not only is the US not the greatest country in the world, but in many ways it's a 3rd rate sh*t hole..

So with that being said, the fact remains that we're going to have a shiny new bridge connecting Canada and the US, and that's thanks to Canada, so be grateful Michigan... Moreover, the construction of this new bridge will bring jobs to Michigan, and will undoubtedly have a positive effect on a previously rundown and largely vacant area of Detroit.
So make sure you thank a Canadian for helping you and giving you a generous handout America!
Another "kinder," "gentler," "polite" Canadian.

You embarrass me.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-18-2020 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 10:33 PM

156 posts, read 172,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Another "kinder," "gentler," "polite" Canadian.

You embarrass me.
Except I'm an American... That was a really cute reply though, you seem really sweet; I like that...

Old 07-19-2020, 08:39 AM

4,608 posts, read 4,870,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
There is only one fact in your post. The Canadian government is footing the bill.

The reason Canada is paying for it is because every effort on the US side was thwarted by the PRIVATE owner of the Ambassador Bridge. Moroun blocked every single American effort to build another bridge over the Detroit River. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Even if you thought about a bridge, Moroun would sue you and buy up any property you had your eye on. Moroun even sued the US federal government!
Moroun sued the Canadian government over the new bridge too.

While some of the land was vacant, at least half a dozen factories, a few warehouses, and a couple of houses had to be removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: