Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 12:32 PM

495 posts, read 327,454 times

Advertisements

I wasn't aware that this bridge hasn't been completed yet. I remember well Matty Maroun's attempts to block it. The arguments for building it were very strong, IMO. From what I remember of them, the original bridge is not in a good location, so it made zero sense to build a second span in the same bad location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 08:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
I wasn't aware that this bridge hasn't been completed yet. I remember well Matty Maroun's attempts to block it. The arguments for building it were very strong, IMO. From what I remember of them, the original bridge is not in a good location, so it made zero sense to build a second span in the same bad location.
It is scheduled for completion in 2024.

Maroun bought up a lot of the property in Del Rey to try to block the Gordie Howe bridge They had to use eminent domain to take the property, but he probably still made a tidy profit on the land. Don't assume he is done. Every day the Gordie Howe bridge is delayed means a small fortune for Maroun. He will undoubtedly use all legal means (and possibly illegal ones too) to delay the bridge as much as possible. A lot will happen between now and 2024 and Maroun will be waiting to grab any and every opportunity to delay or try to stop the bridge from being completed. Matty Maroun recently died, but his son has been running the companies for several years. Nothing will change.

The Ambassador bridge is in a terrible location for commercial traffic, especially on the Canadian side. Windsor may become a more viable city if the Ambassador bridge it used mostly for commuters and tourists.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:46 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Americans are so effin sensitive... If you don't praise the US as the greatest country that baby Jesus ever created, then they cry and go into a full blown triggered meltdown...

First of all, the US is failing on multiple fronts, which I don't even have the time to detail because I'd be here typing for hours... Secondly, many Americans have become fact repellent to inconvenient truths which prove that not only is the US not the greatest country in the world, but in many ways it's a 3rd rate sh*t hole..

So with that being said, the fact remains that we're going to have a shiny new bridge connecting Canada and the US, and that's thanks to Canada, so be grateful Michigan... Moreover, the construction of this new bridge will bring jobs to Michigan, and will undoubtedly have a positive effect on a previously rundown and largely vacant area of Detroit.
So make sure you thank a Canadian for helping you and giving you a generous handout America!
There are plenty of Americans who HATE their own country. Just talk to the average person protesting out in the streets the past several weeks. As an American who has spent a lot of their life abroad, including part of their childhood in Canada, I have come away from international travel and residency with a greater appreciation for how incredible the United States of America is. There is no better place for me.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:47 PM

216 posts, read 132,239 times
Default Agreed,

Surely as my son who spent 7 years in the navy will agree. He was in the Pacific- Indian and the Atlantic - Mediterranean Seas and has seen a lot. " There is no other place like the U.S." he says.
Paris and other places look good in picture post cards yes, but once one one gets away from the downtown areas it quickly turns out to be not so good, thank you.
The most beautiful place he ever went he said was the St. Thomas Islands. One can see the bottom of the ocean there and it is forty feet down. Paradise. They caught lobsters with their hands and boiled them on the beach.
Hawaii became boring. Too small.
If it were not for the U.S. Canadians would be even more poor than they are already .No need for thanks however.
The Canadian and Mexican GDP combined, is only a fraction of the United States.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
There are plenty of Americans who HATE their own country. Just talk to the average person protesting out in the streets the past several weeks. As an American who has spent a lot of their life abroad, including part of their childhood in Canada, I have come away from international travel and residency with a greater appreciation for how incredible the United States of America is. There is no better place for me.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
Surely as my son who spent 7 years in the navy will agree. He was in the Pacific- Indian and the Atlantic - Mediterranean Seas and has seen a lot. " There is no other place like the U.S." he says.
Paris and other places look good in picture post cards yes, but once one one gets away from the downtown areas it quickly turns out to be not so good, thank you.
The most beautiful place he ever went he said was the St. Thomas Islands. One can see the bottom of the ocean there and it is forty feet down. Paradise. They caught lobsters with their hands and boiled them on the beach.
Hawaii became boring. Too small.
If it were not for the U.S. Canadians would be even more poor than they are already .No need for thanks however.
The Canadian and Mexican GDP combined, is only a fraction of the United States.
Hey the Canadians are awesome. So polite and amusing. We love our southern neighbors.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Default Well Sure,

The guy at the corner bar, the owner, is Canadian and is a nice guy alright. Commutes daily and so I asked.
Is there a BIG difference between living here and Canada? You live in both places really, your house and wife and kids are in Canada and you work here until very late every night.
His answer was that "Yes, sure. The U.S. has more of everything. The best of Everything , yes sure. However the U.S. also has the worse of everything." Social problems, drug problems, race problems."
SO I says back to this guy. "Well then, I guess that Canada is like "America light" still tastes great and yet is less filling."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Hey the Canadians are awesome. So polite and amusing. We love our southern neighbors.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:46 AM

544 posts, read 900,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
The guy at the corner bar, the owner, is Canadian and is a nice guy alright. Commutes daily and so I asked.
Is there a BIG difference between living here and Canada? You live in both places really, your house and wife and kids are in Canada and you work here until very late every night.
His answer was that "Yes, sure. The U.S. has more of everything. The best of Everything , yes sure. However the U.S. also has the worse of everything." Social problems, drug problems, race problems."
SO I says back to this guy. "Well then, I guess that Canada is like "America light" still tastes great and yet is less filling."
I'm a dual Citizen that has lived about half my life in each country. I prefer the US. Canada has the same social issues as the US, it's just not "in your face" and the results not as tragic. Canada is better at long term thinking. For example, Canada is paying for most of the bridge under discussion in this thread. They understand how important a second bridge is to their economy. In the US we have a hard time seeing past the next budget year or election cycle. That being said, Canada can be a giant ripoff from a consumer POV and the taxes will make your head spin.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Default Surely A Canadian Paradise,

I am not so naive as to think that just across the Detroit River exists a human paradise where no racism exists, LeRoy. Within the U.S. economy lies the future of any long term thinking. The U.S. sawbuck is the monetary unit used throughout the world as the gold standard for fixing economic value to investment.
For instance the Gordie Howe Bridge is but a drop in the U.S. economic budget. We are investing a lot , a huge amount, mountains of U.S. Dollars to keep ourselves afloat and to avoid a panic in international investment markets. Three Trillion so far I think. All eyes everywhere are on the U.S. economy. How it will handle the pandemic effect of such a turn down, economically? The Chinese in particular.....
Yes we are saving the World yet once again...here this side of the River and we've spent Three Trillion so far simply to keep our economy from crashing through the bottom floor. The New G.H. Bridge is of course being paid for by Canada as it is in the country's own self-interest to build the thing as Y'all surely, do not want a bottle neck in the flow of money from over here. Would you expect us to do this for you ?
This much is sure.
I dated a Canadian girl from Windsor whom I met on line and she was great. Really. Good looking. I saw no difference between she and I from a cultural point of view at all. The only thing was that she wouldn't answer the phone all day, one day, when I was supposed to call. I did learn from her about Canada though.
Many from the medical field cross to the U.S. daily because nurses and such earn more in Detroit than in Canada and also it has been her experience ( she was in the medical field) that medical care is better in the U.S. Many cross over for these reasons . Groceries are cheaper here too. So every time we met for a date
we went grocery shopping. Milk in particular. We had a lot of fun, hanging out. Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
I'm a dual Citizen that has lived about half my life in each country. I prefer the US. Canada has the same social issues as the US, it's just not "in your face" and the results not as tragic. Canada is better at long term thinking. For example, Canada is paying for most of the bridge under discussion in this thread. They understand how important a second bridge is to their economy. In the US we have a hard time seeing past the next budget year or election cycle. That being said, Canada can be a giant ripoff from a consumer POV and the taxes will make your head spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: