Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:01 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,126,552 times

Advertisements

Approved: Olympia gets OK to raze historic Detroit hotel on Red Wings arena site | MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 AM

20,956 posts, read 19,401,209 times
I don't understand why a historical commission would be forced (let's face it) to approve the tearing down of a historic building. It completely discredits them. Why doesn't the city council just say that economic development trumps historical preservation and that the Historical Commission will not be voting on the matter?

And I'm still doubtful that the Joe Louis Arena won't turn into an eyesore that lingers long after the new arena is opened.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:59 PM

263 posts, read 435,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't understand why a historical commission would be forced (let's face it) to approve the tearing down of a historic building. It completely discredits them. Why doesn't the city council just say that economic development trumps historical preservation and that the Historical Commission will not be voting on the matter?

And I'm still doubtful that the Joe Louis Arena won't turn into an eyesore that lingers long after the new arena is opened.

I expect the historical commission solicited viable alternatives to the historic structure being demolished, but did not receive any that merited denying the go-ahead to destroy the structure.

It's easy for you & I to cry over historic structures being razed, but I --& I assume you too-- didn't submit any decent alternatives to revive the existing structure & generate revenue.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:17 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,551,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
I expect the historical commission solicited viable alternatives to the historic structure being demolished, but did not receive any that merited denying the go-ahead to destroy the structure.

It's easy for you & I to cry over historic structures being razed, but I --& I assume you too-- didn't submit any decent alternatives to revive the existing structure & generate revenue.
It didn't really matter if there were any alternatives. It wasn't about whether the building could generate revenue; there's been plenty successful renovations with larger buildings closer downtown, but the stadium's revenue (which the city doesn't get back) was more important. And the stadium couldn't maximize it's revenue if it didn't have some loading dock that could hold more trucks.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,244,475 times
Good grief will the handwringing ever stop.

It was likely a flophouse since the 30s.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Good grief will the handwringing ever stop.

It was likely a flophouse since the 30s.
Not sure what difference that makes. All of downtown was a ghetto at some point and the selectivity on what's been preserved and what's been demolished has been pretty arbitrary.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,244,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Not sure what difference that makes. All of downtown was a ghetto at some point and the selectivity on what's been preserved and what's been demolished has been pretty arbitrary.
I honestly just don't understand people being upset about abandoned buildings being demolished to make way for hugely invigorating new projects; it's like saying I'm going to let go of controls of a plane to chase a mosquito.

I just think it's a difference in philosophy... some people at an early age, I suppose, become comfortable with simply criticizing everything around them, and unburden themselves of any kind of perspective.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:52 AM

542 posts, read 890,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Joe Louis Arena is to be demolished.

Detroit's Joe Louis Arena set to be demolished in 2017 - CBSSports.com

Old 06-13-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I honestly just don't understand people being upset about abandoned buildings being demolished to make way for hugely invigorating new projects; it's like saying I'm going to let go of controls of a plane to chase a mosquito.
The Park Avenue building is being replaced with a grass field. It's not under the footprint of any of the new buildings being constructed. The were smaller historical buildings that were under the footprint of the new buildings and have been demolished without a problem, but this one building is literally not being replaced with anything.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:09 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,133,848 times
Both hotels were built by the same developer, were designed by the same architect, were built at the same time, on the same street, 40 feet away from each other. It just doesn't seem right that only one hotel will survive. Ilitch said he wanted his DISTRICT to include a hotel and lots of housing. These 2 buildings were opportunities to provide new housing while preserving the history of that area. These are classic and unique (because of their height) buildings in the city's 2nd most architecturally significant neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit