Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times

Advertisements

Dearborn Hts is a lot like it was 29 years ago. At least it doesn't look hugely different. You will be fine there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 PM

88 posts, read 343,623 times
This person has raised a fine point..and maybe this is the wrong forum for it but why do people look at the Detroit area and Michigan as a whole as some backwoods, KKK, anti-everything, pro-Bush mentality. Gosh, it's not Alabama!! I live in northern NJ just outside of New York City and there are people here who would qualify as the people I just described. Friends of mine here think the same when I say I'm from Michigan. I grew up in the suburbs and never had an issue with anyone on being gay....The reality is Michigan is in the north and its a blue state with liberal areas and more conservatibe areas. West Michigan seems to be the bible-belt of the state. I could see it being tough to be gay and fabolous there but in SE Mich...its just another stereotype to be added to the long list of them that come with Detroit and SE Mich.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,454 times
I don't know much about the rest of MI, but SE MI is as progressive as most places, it's not San Francisco, but I have had many gay friends since my friends brother is gay and we socialize with him, his partner and their friends and I have never heard a complaint about the area. We have a LBGT center right on Ferndale's main street. I don't think the Detroit area is a place where a homophobe would feel comfortable expressing those feelings publicly. Even the people I know who don't necessarily approve have a "live and let live" attitude.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:01 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,360 times
My question is why Dearborn Heights, and why that part of Dearborn Heights. That's basically the worst part of the city you could go to. I've lived in the Heights all my life, and there are so many more interesting cities right on our borders, I can't wait to move to another city in this area. DH is dull.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:55 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,569 times
Joy and Telegraph may as well be Detroit. I wouldn't move there if I were you. With the housing market the way it is, if you an afford a house in that area, you can afford one in a better area. The Detroit neighborhood bordering Dbn. Hts. at that location was all cops, firemen and other city employees UNTIL the city's residency requirement was overturned. Since then, that area has gone nowhere but downhill. Lots of better areas than that to choose for pretty much the same price...

Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 41,043 times
In terms of living area's you will find gay friendly area's in the very expensive downtown area, Indian Village, Wayne State University area and Palmer Park. Of course their are gay people every where in the city, but the above area's tend to support more educated or liberal or just don't give a damn about other people's bedroom business.

Not sure how old you are, but if your into House or Techno you will find a thriving music scene that is definitely gay accepting.

Peace and glad to hear your helping out mom's.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,285 times
Would it be possible to just have your mother move to Chicago? Don't give up your happiness and well-being to come back to Detroit if you really don't want to live here.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 10,812 times
I just want to clear up a few points. I have no choice but to move to the neighborhood I mentioned. It's my childhood home, and still belongs to my mother. So it's a done deal. She's too elderly to move. Secondly, I'm not really concerned about possible homophobia in the area. I mentioned my sexual preference only in passing in my original post. It's not an issue for me. I'm now an avowed (gay) bachelor, and not likely to be involved actively in the local community. Thanks to all who have spent the time to offer their thoughts here. It's great to hear all of the varied thoughts and ideas !!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:00 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Joy and Telegraph may as well be Detroit. I wouldn't move there if I were you. With the housing market the way it is, if you an afford a house in that area, you can afford one in a better area. The Detroit neighborhood bordering Dbn. Hts. at that location was all cops, firemen and other city employees UNTIL the city's residency requirement was overturned. Since then, that area has gone nowhere but downhill. Lots of better areas than that to choose for pretty much the same price...
This is very true. You can't give houses away east of West Parkway anymore. Copper Canyon's not what it used to be, even 10 years ago. This has definitely filtered into the Dearborn Heights area.

My uncle's parents live in the Dearborn Heights border area you mentioned, and it's livable, but certainly a little spooky.

Best of luck, and welcome home.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
My sister just won a giveaway contest for the City of Dearborn. the mayor presented the awards with a long speech about the high points of Dearborn. She said that the mayor made Dearborn sound fantastic. She does not know the city well and looks forward to spending her gift certificates. the mayonr certainy thinks that it si a fantastic city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit