Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 03:48 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,833,546 times

Advertisements

Affluent families aren't leaving here yet. We're doing fine in Farmington/Farmington Hills, thank you. And young couples can't move into our homes because most of us are still living here!
We have less children to send to school now.
I will say it again and try to be patient. Six schools are not closing. I explained this nn a previous post. One high school is currently more seriously being considered for 2016-17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 03:50 PM

[quote=NOLA101;40516552]None of this is true.

ALL of this is true! I live here.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:11 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,546,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
None of this is true. In fact, Farmington Hills schools announced they're closing six schools today, including Farmington Harrison High.

The community, like so many older suburbs, has challenges, and is not as desirable as in the past. Affluent families are leaving FH.

If your district is shrinking, there's only one reason- parents prefer other districts. Novi, Northville, South Lyon are all fast-growing. Farmington Hills, Livonia, Clarenceville, Southfield are all shrinking. This isn't rocket science as to why.
Uhh, no. The state of Michigan has reduced funding for education across the state. WTF are you on about?

Novi Community Schools concerned about potential school aid budget

Old 07-23-2015, 01:55 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,844,472 times
I guess a troubling school situation means a place is going downhill. Didn't the OP say they are students looking to rent a home? What does a school system have to do with them? It will be a long day in hell before Farmington Hills is considered "undesirable".

Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,792,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Livonia and Farmington Hills are both on a downward spiral, IMO. Neither area is remotely "bad" but both towns are definitely getting worse.

Who do you think is moving to all those new homes in Northville, West Novi, Lyon Twp, etc.? Just drive 10 mile from, say Wixom Rd. to Milford Rd. Nothing but big homes going up everywhere. People with money are moving out of places like FH because the schools have deteriorated.

I am not familiar with schools in these areas and am not familiar with Livonia but I agree with you Farmington Hills has went down hill. I even feel nicer suburbs like West Bloomfield and Bloomfield Hills have. Now of course there are still nice huge homes in Bloomfield Hills and is upscale but it is not like how it was.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,471,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Affluent families aren't leaving here yet. We're doing fine in Farmington/Farmington Hills, thank you. And young couples can't move into our homes because most of us are still living here!
We have less children to send to school now.
I will say it again and try to be patient. Six schools are not closing. I explained this nn a previous post. One high school is currently more seriously being considered for 2016-17.
The fact that enrollment has declined to the point where they are considering closing a high school is a signal that fewer families are considering the district. It's not what it used to be is what I'm saying.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:27 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,546,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
The fact that enrollment has declined to the point where they are considering closing a high school is a signal that fewer families are considering the district. It's not what it used to be is what I'm saying.
This actually is a trend uniform across Metro Detroit and Michigan as a whole. More families are pulling their kids out of public school altogether.

For all school districts in Oakland County, K-12 enrollment has dropped from 202,000 in 2005 to 187,000 in 2015. The decline is even faster in Livingston County. Novi, Northville, and Rochester Hills are all struggling to attract new students. Literally no matter what school district you look at, public school enrollment rates are declining. It's not something specific to any school district and, imo, doesn't seem reflective of their quality. There's something larger going on.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:48 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,471,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
This actually is a trend uniform across Metro Detroit and Michigan as a whole. More families are pulling their kids out of public school altogether.

For all school districts in Oakland County, K-12 enrollment has dropped from 202,000 in 2005 to 187,000 in 2015. The decline is even faster in Livingston County. Novi, Northville, and Rochester Hills are all struggling to attract new students. Literally no matter what school district you look at, public school enrollment rates are declining. It's not something specific to any school district and, imo, doesn't seem reflective of their quality. There's something larger going on.
A quick look at the data shows that Novi, Northville and Rochester districts have all seen increased enrollment since 2005.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
A quick look at the data shows that Novi, Northville and Rochester districts have all seen increased enrollment since 2005.
My goodness, you are just bound and determined to be right!
Look, there isn't as much room for building new tract homes in older suburbs; not many empty lots available, either. It's cheaper to build in a huge development. Some young families prefer a new house.
There are those who perceive "every body is doing it," and "everybody knows this," as meaning that good reasoning skills are involved. It's easier than thinking things through for yourself! Lots of people head for the longest checkout line when there are empty ones open, too! Hey, everyone is doing it, it must be a good idea! And it's also true that there are more "mcmansions" in the suburbs you mentioned. Some young people are of the impression that this means that they are better off living there because...well...everybody says so, right! Think for yourself!
An enormous school district is consolidating because many of us don't have little kids anymore. Our generation was a huge one. This means there will be less old buildings to maintain, and that is a very good thing! There are a whole lot of young families moving in; many, many families have preschoolers, toddlers and babies. Home values are RISING! And most of us "baby boomers" aren't going anywhere!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,844,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I am not familiar with schools in these areas and am not familiar with Livonia but I agree with you Farmington Hills has went down hill. I even feel nicer suburbs like West Bloomfield and Bloomfield Hills have. Now of course there are still nice huge homes in Bloomfield Hills and is upscale but it is not like how it was.
So now Bloomfield Hills is going downhill too? lol I'm curious to know how it's going downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit