Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:03 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,693,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post

Well, it's a message board on a site called "CityData." So....you know... If you're not into discussing data and cities....
This.
Please remember you're not deciding on the fate of cities here, you're not creating laws. You're talking, about facts and opinions. OPINIONS. So please discuss the topic not each other.
Yac.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:06 AM

809 posts, read 2,400,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Birmingham schools have increased enrollment too. There hasn't been vacant land for development in Birmingham for 50 years now. How do you explain that?

South Lyon, yes, there's lots of empty land, but people wouldn't be buying homes there in the first place if they didn't think the schools were good. There's lots of empty land in other districts, yet little growth. So why is everyone building subdivisions up and down 10 Mile if they don't prefer the schools?

Do you have statistics for the birmingham schools? I'm curious now to see what other schools have increased/declined in enrollment. There can't be more than a couple in the tri-county area that have. Metro Detroit has lost 300,000 people in the last 15 years, and the population has aged in that time as well.

And lots of people buy houses without really caring for the schools. Or they compromise and get the house they want in a district that's not their preferred one.

Do you think all the big and expensive condos being put up in detroit are being bought by people who prefer DPS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 08:01 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Do you have statistics for the birmingham schools? I'm curious now to see what other schools have increased/declined in enrollment. There can't be more than a couple in the tri-county area that have. Metro Detroit has lost 300,000 people in the last 15 years, and the population has aged in that time as well.
You can look up enrollment figures at this State of Michigan website-

https://cepi.state.mi.us/eem/#mainMenu
Quote:
And lots of people buy houses without really caring for the schools. Or they compromise and get the house they want in a district that's not their preferred one.
Agreed, though I still think school enrollment shows which districts are desirable. With Schools of Choice you see exactly where parents want to send their kids.
Quote:
Do you think all the big and expensive condos being put up in detroit are being bought by people who prefer DPS?
What "big and expensive condos" are you referring to? The only condo building I can think of in Detroit over the last 10-15 years was the Book Cadillac, and that was highly subsidized, only like 40-50 apartments, and I don't know if it ever sold out (and the prices were hardly high).

There are basically no "big and expensive condos" in Detroit. Generally speaking, Detroit is dirt-cheap (and the schools stink).

Old 07-25-2015, 12:15 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,845,040 times
Quote:
You can look up enrollment figures at this State of Michigan website-

https://cepi.state.mi.us/eem/#mainMenu

Agreed, though I still think school enrollment shows which districts are desirable. With Schools of Choice you see exactly where parents want to send their kids.

What "big and expensive condos" are you referring to? The only condo building I can think of in Detroit over the last 10-15 years was the Book Cadillac, and that was highly subsidized, only like 40-50 apartments, and I don't know if it ever sold out (and the prices were hardly high).

There are basically no "big and expensive condos" in Detroit. Generally speaking, Detroit is dirt-cheap (and the schools stink).
10-15 years? look in the developments forum. Maybe not "literally" condos but plenty, PLENTY of apartments with some of the highest rent in the region.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
10-15 years? look in the developments forum. Maybe not "literally" condos but plenty, PLENTY of apartments with some of the highest rent in the region.
OK, then give us one such condo development in Detroit. Just one.

There are new condos going for 2-3 million in Birmingham, BTW, and plenty of them. I doubt there's one condo in Detroit where units even go for 500k.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:28 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,845,040 times
Quote:
OK, then give us one such condo development in Detroit. Just one.

There are new condos going for 2-3 million in Birmingham, BTW, and plenty of them. I doubt there's one condo in Detroit where units even go for 500k.
Didn't I just say apartments in my last post? But since you can't seem to look in the forum I told you to.

Here, straight from the forum: Restaurant(s) & Condos Coming to Ye Olde Butcher Building - Coming Attractions - Curbed Detroit
Developer says $7 million will turn Detroit's castle-like James Scott Mansion into 25 condos | MLive.com
The FD Lofts Will Evolve into Swanky Eastern Market Condos - Condo Mania - Curbed Detroit
Jerome Bettis: Stalled plans for luxury condos, retail back on track for Detroit riverfront | MLive.com
Shipping container condos to be built in Corktown

Oh, btw I just used Google and did find some condos for over 500k. Who cares about the prices of condos in Birmingham anyway?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,131,538 times
Quote:
Plenty of districts are growing (see Northville, South Lyon, Novi) and plenty of districts are declining (see FH, Southfield, Livonia) and the reason is because families prefer high-performing districts, and run away from lower performing districts. If familes wanted FH schools then they would move there, but guess what, they don't.
Why are Farmington and Livonia lower-performing districts now. What happened? Anybody care to speculate?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,471,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Why are Farmington and Livonia lower-performing districts now. What happened? Anybody care to speculate?
That's the million dollar question. If you look at the enrollment data (see my post in the other thread) there's no question that parents are fleeing these districts and/or no longer considering them. My theory is that far fewer young professionals with families are moving to these cities and now prefer the Northville/Novi/South Lyon area.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 AM

2,044 posts, read 1,834,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
That's the million dollar question. If you look at the enrollment data (see my post in the other thread) there's no question that parents are fleeing these districts and/or no longer considering them. My theory is that far fewer young professionals with families are moving to these cities and now prefer the Northville/Novi/South Lyon area.
It appears that you are confusing fact with opinion. Many new homes have been (and continue to be) built in Novi, Northville, and S.Lyon. Young families are coming to live there in these new homes. In the older suburban areas, such as Birmingham (see new thread) the population is aging but still for the most part in their homes. There is far less room for new construction. Many families with very young children (preschool age and younger) have moved into Farmington/Farmington Hills.
According to the data, Birmingham's public school population has fallen significantly. It is also a top-rated district according to data.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,471,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
It appears that you are confusing fact with opinion. Many new homes have been (and continue to be) built in Novi, Northville, and S.Lyon. Young families are coming to live there in these new homes. In the older suburban areas, such as Birmingham (see new thread) the population is aging but still for the most part in their homes. There is far less room for new construction. Many families with very young children (preschool age and younger) have moved into Farmington/Farmington Hills.
According to the data, Birmingham's public school population has fallen significantly. It is also a top-rated district according to data.
See my post in the other thread. Percentage-wise, Birmingham's enrollment has stayed relatively flat over the past few years while Farmington's has plummeted by double digits. Birmingham and Farmington are both built-out, mature communities. Yet Birmingham seems to have no problems replacing their students while Farmington has a major one. Why?

Novi and Northville are mostly built-out. There are not as many new homes as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit