Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:15 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times

Advertisements

I do not think that his cheating on his wife is the big issue. the big issue is not only lying, but making such strong comments about not whoring around when it was all true. Perhaps the bigger issue is messing around with workers so that the City gets sued. If he was an executive at any company, he would be fired already.

The racist comments make no sense to me. If you dislike Kwame's dishonesty and problem cuasing, you are a racist? Why? Why would anyone think that Detroit is likely to have a mayor who is not Black. What does race have to do with whether someone is a good mayor?

A few good things did happen under Kwane's reign. But was that due to his efforts? Would any mayor have accomplished the same thing? would other mayors have accomplished the more and without all the problems?

I have not had any response about Kwame's probably replacement Cockrel. Is he an improvement? It is my belief that things cannot substantially improve until they get rid of the entire political structure including a large part of the staff. Certainly there are qualified honest people who want to see Detroit succeed rather than see their name on something that could fill these positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 PM

655 posts, read 2,194,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Finally getting rid of that good for nothing mayor. Too bad we cannot get rid of the whole pack at once. Anyone know anything about Ken Cockrel?
He reads comic books.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 PM

24 posts, read 124,296 times
Quote:
Carrera4s, what do you
think of Cockrel? Is he smart? honest?
Is he something more than just a Kwame puppet?
Any chance that he will clean out the remaining scumbums?

It is my understanding that he is next in line.
I believe we would be lucky to have him.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM

Ok...forgive me all but I've just gotta ask. What does a 9 million dollar piece of ***** feel like. Does Ms Beatty have a "snapper" or something to that effect?

Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Cockrel seemed ok enough back when he bought comics from my shop. But that was back in 99 and I had no idea who he was. Heck I really didnt say much to him.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:41 PM

50 posts, read 112,477 times
While I agree that some of the flack Kilpatrick is catching may be because of his skin color, SOME of it is warranted. There's still the matter of the dead stripper, after all.

What pisses me off most about this cat is that he had the opportunity to show all the naysayers and Old Guard folk that someone from our generation COULD do something great. What could've been a powerful legacy will be a joke.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Cockrel seemed ok enough back when he bought comics from my shop. But that was back in 99 and I had no idea who he was. Heck I really didnt say much to him.
Damn...He's STILL into the comic book thing. That's the way he was back in 6th,7th & 8th grades

Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera4S View Post
Damn...He's STILL into the comic book thing. That's the way he was back in 6th,7th & 8th grades
He was in 99. And what's wrong with comics?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:34 AM

560 posts, read 2,181,425 times
Kwame has been given more than enough "benefit of the doubt" excuses. What about the trips to Hawaii, California and Florida that the taxpayers paid for? What about his wife's SUV that the taxpayers paid for?? What about the fact that when Kwame offered his endorsement to Obama for president Obama said "thanks but no thanks" and advised him to remove the diamond earrings because they were bad for Detroits' image?? The list goes on and on. It is not about the color of his skin but about the content of his character. Kwame is morally bankrupt and sooner or later he is not going to be able to charm his way out of a situation. I don't for one minute believe that he didn't some how have something to do with the murder of that prostitute and sooner or later it will be investigated. To much money has changed hands and to many things have been covered up. Someone is going to talk sooner or later.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 PM

151 posts, read 638,922 times
Quote:
If he was an executive at any company, he would be fired already.
That's a great point - the misuse of city funds (or company funds in this example) would be cause for termination and criminal activity for sure.

I still think that cheating on his wife is relevant because it shows poor decision making and a flaw in the mayor's character.

It could definitely be argued that the mayor was not mature enough to handle being mayor - the text messages that are involved in this scandal were sent during the first and second year of his term. I think the celebrity associated with being "Detroit's Hip Hop Mayor" went to his head and he couldn't handle the responsibility and perks of the job.

On the other hand, if the media (or whoever) is able to prove that the mayor has continued to have affairs in recent years - then I'll fly up there and throw the book at him myself.

This is not about race - everybody makes mistakes and has at least one skeleton in their closet. This includes Mike Cox, Bill Clinton, Jim McGreevy and thousands more who never got caught...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit