Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times

Advertisements

One of my neighbors works at Ford and his commute is about 45 minutes to Dearborn from Lyon Township.

The major question is do you have school age kids and, if so, will you be using the public school system. That would easily take Belleville off of your list.

You said you are looking for more of a small town, but could you give us an idea of what you'd consider too big or too small?

(What's big to one person could be too small to another/vice versa.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 03:58 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
One of my neighbors works at Ford and his commute is about 45 minutes to Dearborn from Lyon Township.
Lyon Twp. is still arguably rural, but it's very clearly trending suburban. You can already see it's basically the "next Novi" or whatever. Thousands of homes are going up.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:01 AM

That's why I asked the question - how small is too small. How big is too big.

My husband and I are looking forward to Lyon being more suburban. We moved out here because housing prices are a lot more reasonable than Novi or Northville and it's growing. We look forward to more amenities coming into the area.

However, some people really don't want to see their small towns get bigger.

Salem Twp and Green Oaks are a lot more rural than Lyon.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post

The major question is do you have school age kids and, if so, will you be using the public school system. That would easily take Belleville off of your list.

You said you are looking for more of a small town, but could you give us an idea of what you'd consider too big or too small?

(What's big to one person could be too small to another/vice versa.)
Does your neighbor commute during off-peak hours? I live in Novi and commute to Dearborn. My average commute home during rush hour is 50 minutes. There is no way South Lyon to Dearborn clocks in at less than an hour.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:24 PM

18 posts, read 26,611 times
My parents live in Sumpter. Sumpter twp and/or Carleton are about as "country/small town" as it gets within 30-45 minutes of Dearborn.

Also keep in mind some parts of Sumpter and Carleton do not have city water, natural gas, high speed internet/cable tv or sewage. Their house does have city water, but does not have natural gas or sewage. They use propane at $3-3.5/gallon and have a spetic tank that requires cleaning/emptying once every 2-3 years. Cable tv is provided by Directv/Dish and high speed internet via Verizon wireless 4G LTE (extremely expensive)

Last edited by nv529; 08-11-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Carleton in Monroe County
+1
Got a friend who grew up in Carleton. It's a little redneck, but all rural Michigan is

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Chelsea, a bit west of Ann Arbor. Charming, wholesome and beautiful farms, and lakes.
You aren't getting from Chelsea to Dearborn in 45 minutes, even off peak. If you lived right at M-52 & 94 and worked at Ford HQ, that's 50 miles. Good luck at 7 am.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Does your neighbor commute during off-peak hours? I live in Novi and commute to Dearborn. My average commute home during rush hour is 50 minutes. There is no way South Lyon to Dearborn clocks in at less than an hour.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was off-peak. We are too new to the area to know exactly what the neighbor's work schedule is - especially with it being summer.

I know that I can get from Redford Township to Lyon in about 45-50 minutes during rush hour. We are right on the border w/Salem Township.

Having to go north of 8 mile would add time onto that, especially with the construction at Griswold.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:54 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,879 times
Saline by A2 although it will be a drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit