Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Well.....I was born and raised in Sterling Heights MI. Moved to beautiful
CA in my senior yr of high school(1976). Never looked back. Michigan
has got to be the most boring place on earth,to me that is. The weather
is the worst,the mosquitos,the rain,the humidity. Its just an all around
depressing state. I havent been back for over 20 yrs.and have NO desire
to ever do so. And snow, you can have it. Been there done that!
Sorry,but I agree with the OP.

Greenchili
Thanks for stopping by though Greenchili! You seem like a lot of fun. We'll have to have you over for dinner sometime.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:06 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
FWIW, I loved my 15 years in Clarkston Michigan!

Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Quote:
Roads - In Michigan, Summer is not really summer; it is construction season. The 'Motor City' has the worst roads I have ever traveled in the country, and I have been all over the US.
I've never been unable to get to where I wanted to go due to poor roads. And compared to many other urban areas, gridlock is not a big problem.

Quote:
2.) Weather - If you wake up in the morning during an average Michigan winter, you have over a 60% chance of not seeing the sun AT ALL. You will enjoy three months of true 'summer' weather the entire year, only to be plagued by construction the entire time. Michigan State Flower: the construction cone. Do you like snow? You ****ing better!
True, MI is too cloudy for me. But snow? The last 5 years at least have been pretty tame as far as snow goes.

Quote:
3.) Job Market - Michigan is ranked #1 in unemployment for the entire frickin' country. Being a recent college graduate, I can't find a job to save my life. If you move here, you better know someone.
I've never had a problem making a decent living with only a high school education and a few years of college with no degree.

Quote:
4.) Racism - I speak primarily of Metro Detroit when I say that racism is quite prevalent. I live in a suburb that is 97% white (literally). This doesn't personally scare me, but if you are a minority then don't plan on traveling into the white suburbs unless you want to get pulled over. According to my previous law professor, Michigan is one of the most segregated states in the union.[/
How has racism significantly affected your life in Metro Detroit?

As far as being stopped based only on race in the suburbs, that's nonsense.

What has your suburb done to exclude racial minorities who want and can afford to live there in the last 5 years? Specifics please. Getting a speeding ticket for 35 in a 30 zone when you were doing 45 doesn't count.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 AM

155 posts, read 558,573 times
I've lived in Detroit, my entire life. And when I say Detroit, I mean Detroit. Not Livonia, Not Warren, not Taylor, not Novi, but DETROIT. Sure MICHIGAN schools are good, but the DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM is the worst. I grew up in it, and it's just sad. The roads in DETROIT are bad, the weather here is horrible. I don't know what someone was talking about, in spring it's 60-70 degrees..lmao..that is so untrue...how can it be when we always have one major snow storm in April! It doesn't get hot hot till late May. It's too damn cold to trick or treat by the end of October. You'd have to have a death wish trying to get some candy at 6:00...Sure in the 80's it was all good, but the weather is wacky as hell here. I haven't really encountered racism EXCEPT in the suburbs (that is NOT DETROIT) like Chesterfield. But it was a one time incident, and didn't really bother me like that.

Detroit is a fun place I believe. There is a great sense of camaraderie when it comes to sporting events. There are always people laughing and having a good time at the festivals. The Winter Blast or whatever it is, always turns out big crowds. It's a shame, I'm 2 blocks away from it and don't know what it's called. But that's just cause I don't like snow...lol. There are always concerts and events here. If I had the money, I'd go to a show. But seeing as how I had to move to Kalamazoo to get a job, it won't be often i'll be seeing anything. The job situation is depressing, but I believe with enough persistence you can find work. Even though I'm in Kalamazoo, I'm still applying for jobs in Detroit and the surrounding area. I have a lot of love for Detroit, because it's where I grew up. This is my home. The only problem I have with it are people who are so pessimistic and complain and don't want to implement change, or suggest something that would help. Since I'm not one of those people, I can't do that. The reason I'm leaving Detroit is cause I'm tired of being cold, and I want a new adventure and to try something new. Good luck to anyone who moves here, it can be a great place if you want it to.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Quote:
The reason I'm leaving Detroit is cause I'm tired of being cold.....
Are you moving to Kalamazoo, Florida?

Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM

979 posts, read 3,827,707 times
i live in Florida now. I have lived here for about a year and a half now. I don't think I will ever move back to Mi only because I can't stand cold weather. But man...... you can NOT beat detroit. You can't! The people are great. The suburbs are safer. The lakes are gorgeous. The festivals and events are unbeatable. The summers are awesome!!! That first warm day........... I love the first warm day. You always feel like it's the first day of your life again. Everyone is out enjoying it. I would move back if it weren't for the long winters. I guarantee it!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Suzisu, just retire and become a snowbird. live in this area from April through the end of October, then go to Florida.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:24 PM

979 posts, read 3,827,707 times
I've thought about it! Belive me I have!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:45 PM

155 posts, read 558,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Are you moving to Kalamazoo, Florida?
No...lol. I'm in Kalamazoo Michigan right now because of a job. BUT, we're thinking of moving to SC...

Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM

23 posts, read 85,967 times
Hey move. I had the same problem with the weather. It was soo difficult for me to keep happy with the overcast sky. Some people thought I was just complaining or being overly sensitive. I relocated to the south, and I've only been here a few months, and I can honestly tell you, that some people ARE affected by the weather moreso than others. If you want some tips on relocating or to find out more about my move and why I left, drop me a note. Reading your post was funny because it sounded like reading one of my own!

I feel for you. You are young. Do NOT wait. Get out WHILE YOU CAN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit