Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:19 PM

156 posts, read 562,583 times

Advertisements

Cold is good, hot is good, all in moderation. I hate warm rainy winter days (but snow is nice and wintery) and cold rainy summer days (but a thunderstorm at the end of a hot muggy day is dramatic and refreshing). Spring and fall are just plain great. Point being, I love the fact that we have four distinct seasons here and wouldn`t have it any other way. Maybe not for some, but it is definitely for me.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 AM

979 posts, read 3,828,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This week, I think anyone should be entitled to complain. Please turn off the wind. The cold is actually kind of neat when there is no wind.
Thats what I keep saying! I could handle the cold if wind didn't exist!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:14 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There's something seriously wrong with Americans. When did we become so passionately scared of any degree of physical discomfort?

Some of the highest quality of life and happiest societies in the world exist in cold climates: Norway, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Bhutan, Tibet (before the occupation)... I would even say most Canadians on average are truly happier and more balanced than most Americans, even if they don't have all the amenities we have.
This is so true and I'm writing from one of the countries you've mentioned. It is all a matter of attitude and culture. Here in midwinter the sun rises around 9ish and sets around 3:15 or so. Instead of whining, most of everyone light candles and hope for snow as snow would actually lighten up the darkness. This is a more positive attitude about dealing with the weather whereas in America, all I hear are people complaining about the cold.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:20 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There's something seriously wrong with Americans. When did we become so passionately scared of any degree of physical discomfort?

Some of the highest quality of life and happiest societies in the world exist in cold climates: Norway, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Bhutan, Tibet (before the occupation)... I would even say most Canadians on average are truly happier and more balanced than most Americans, even if they don't have all the amenities we have.

In the US, spoiled corporate brats have relegated the cold sport of football to near tropical climates for its Super Bowl. The minute it's too warm we crank our AC. The minute it's too cold we run away to some over populated desert. I think we're the Romans who have grown fat on our physical comfort and lost sight of where true happiness lies. This is born out in statistics that show Americans are a very unhappy people relative to other national populations.

My problem with Detroit isn't that it's too cold. It's that it's become too warm. When I was a child we had snow consistently from Nov-Mar. Now it's like a Washington, DC winter, where you get neither the benefits of a consistently warm climate nor the benefits of a winter climate.

Exactly why we moved North. I do, again, have snow from Nov thru March. A wonderful thing!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:54 PM

23 posts, read 73,665 times
What ever to all that! I agree with the OP. Michigan for someone that is young 18 - 35 does not have much to offer. I work in Information Technology and the job market here is SO DEAD because Michigan wanted to be "car capital of the world" so I had a HARD past 3 years trying to find a stable direct hire job that paid more than $13 and hour!!! WTF who can live on $13 and hour!?
The Suburbs ARE racist if your not black, then you will not UNDERSTAND. The City is stuck in some time warp and the black people in Detroit spend too much time complaining, as opposed to fixing things. I mean c'mon! Detroit is 80% black WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE A CRAP HOLE?!? Why are you waiting for someone else to come in and fix it?
Buy don't rent, invest in your house and use the EQUITY to move ahead in life.
Look I'm lived in DETROIT on the west side all of my life, and I've traveled quite a bit.
I must say Michigan will never get anywhere until it learns to look past color.
I mean California has tons of Cultures that all hate each other but, hey they know it. They moved past it and they work together to make money and enjoy life.

Michigan is all about "Don't live near too many black people" in the burbs, and "Don't move to white people land." in the city~!

I FREAKING HATE THIS PLACE! I FEEL LIKE I AM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:56 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,522 times
Quote:
The Suburbs ARE racist if your not black, then you will not UNDERSTAND.
So why don't you give us some examples so we can understand? Pulled over because you were the only black guy in an all-white neighborhood? Think that doesn't happen to the lone white guy cruising Puritan and Linwood?

Didn't get a contract in the suburbs because you were black? Ever hear of set aside contracts in Detroit?

Didn't get hired because you were black? Ever get turned down due to affirmative action.

Yeah, it's tough to be black in the Detroit metro area.......I'd say a white guy has to be a lot closer to the top of his game to get any consideration in Detroit than a black guy in the suburbs does.

Wayne County has a black prosecutor. How did that happen in our racist society? Used to have Bill Lucas, a black guy in charge of the whole county. Plenty of black judges elected county-wide. What gives? I believe Richard Austin was Secretary of State for quite a while. How'd he manage that? He couldn't get elected mayor of Detroit, but the voters statewide elected him.

Yeah, yeah, "It's a black thing, you wouldn't understand". Got the T-Shirt......

Quote:
Buy don't rent, invest in your house and use the EQUITY to move ahead in life.
Uh, we tried the "buy, don't rent" thing...That's why the nation is headed for a recession with MI in the lead.....

Quote:
black people in Detroit spend too much time complaining, as opposed to fixing things.
I see....

Quote:
The Suburbs ARE racist if your not black, then you will not UNDERSTAND.
\

I think I'm picking up what you're laying down.....

Last edited by and the; 02-15-2008 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 11:12 PM

286 posts, read 994,310 times
I think there are only three kinds of people on these forums: people who actually want information, people who just want to complain about things, and people who just enjoy criticizing others. Whats interesting is that all of you who have a problem with the complaining like to respond by criticizing them. Thats much more irritating than the complaining in my opinion

Old 02-16-2008, 06:33 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
You joined for one month and now you're a C-D guru, eh?

Does your theory mean I can unabashedly complain about you without getting any criticism from you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit