Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 PM

37 posts, read 144,057 times

Advertisements

Ok I can't believe I'm gonna do this but here it goes....

#5. Michigan sucks b/c of the Wolverines...GO BUCKS!!! LMAO

Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
At least the Tigers will be good this year. That's good for you guys I guess.

My hopes are in the Blues right now, since the Cardinals will be mediocre next year.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM

85 posts, read 297,015 times
i agree that detroit blames evryone for their mistakes and we do
that is why i cant wait to leave between kwame and his mess and the bad economy i am heading south asap

Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie07 View Post
i agree that detroit blames evryone for their mistakes and we do
that is why i cant wait to leave between kwame and his mess and the bad economy i am heading south asap
Enjoy your visit to the south. We will see you back here in about ten years. PLese let us know what you learn while you are there.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,042 times
I really get tired of all of this hebe gebe none sense. The entire country is off the hook, and the plight of Detroit, Wayne County, and the State of Michigan is adversely being seen all accross the country. Its bad everywhere period.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:16 PM

103 posts, read 453,143 times
Default True Opinion on Moving South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Enjoy your visit to the south. We will see you back here in about ten years. PLese let us know what you learn while you are there.
Living in Alabama for a bit I agree with the quote. The weather is great, and property taxes and home prices are lower than up north....however your sales taxes average 10% you pay luxury tax on your vehicles and unless you are transferred her via a job (as we were) the opportunities for good paying jobs aren't there except for auto plants. People are friendly to a point..."southern hospitality" is overrated and I would much rather have the honest in your face attitudes of the midwest. Racism?? Try living in the deep south haha..litter geez everyone uses the beautiful outdoors as their personal trash can. There have been many great things I have experienced here as well and will miss some dear friends I've made, but don't think everything that is warmer is "sunnier" just my 2 cents!!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,937 times
Both of my parents grew up in the Detroit area. I was born near Detroit and we moved to Southern California when I was a little kid. I was happy to move to a place where I didn't lose my shoe in the mud on the way to a playmate's house or freeze waiting for the school bus.... or go to bed in a vacation cabin in Northern Michigan in a fog of bug spray to ward off the ever present summer mosquitos. I didn't go back until a friend who was visiting family in Ohio offered to take me on a nostalgia trip to see my childhood home. We spent less than 24 hours in Michigan. I couldn't believe that the neighborhood I lived in 53 years earlier looked almost exactly the same...time has really stood still there.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
There's something seriously wrong with Americans. When did we become so passionately scared of any degree of physical discomfort?

Some of the highest quality of life and happiest societies in the world exist in cold climates: Norway, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Bhutan, Tibet (before the occupation)... I would even say most Canadians on average are truly happier and more balanced than most Americans, even if they don't have all the amenities we have.

In the US, spoiled corporate brats have relegated the cold sport of football to near tropical climates for its Super Bowl. The minute it's too warm we crank our AC. The minute it's too cold we run away to some over populated desert. I think we're the Romans who have grown fat on our physical comfort and lost sight of where true happiness lies. This is born out in statistics that show Americans are a very unhappy people relative to other national populations.

My problem with Detroit isn't that it's too cold. It's that it's become too warm. When I was a child we had snow consistently from Nov-Mar. Now it's like a Washington, DC winter, where you get neither the benefits of a consistently warm climate nor the benefits of a winter climate.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 PM

189 posts, read 219,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There's something seriously wrong with Americans. When did we become so passionately scared of any degree of physical discomfort?

Some of the highest quality of life and happiest societies in the world exist in cold climates: Norway, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Bhutan, Tibet (before the occupation)... I would even say most Canadians on average are truly happier and more balanced than most Americans, even if they don't have all the amenities we have.

In the US, spoiled corporate brats have relegated the cold sport of football to near tropical climates for its Super Bowl. The minute it's too warm we crank our AC. The minute it's too cold we run away to some over populated desert. I think we're the Romans who have grown fat on our physical comfort and lost sight of where true happiness lies. This is born out in statistics that show Americans are a very unhappy people relative to other national populations.

My problem with Detroit isn't that it's too cold. It's that it's become too warm. When I was a child we had snow consistently from Nov-Mar. Now it's like a Washington, DC winter, where you get neither the benefits of a consistently warm climate nor the benefits of a winter climate.
Isn't it amazing how many complaints there are about the weather?
If one is in a northern area (Mich) expect cold and snow. South like Florida/Arizona- heat. d'ya think?
I sure don't see the point of them complaining about something they can't change! (other than moving away, getting away from their misery)

Old 02-12-2008, 05:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
This week, I think anyone should be entitled to complain. Please turn off the wind. The cold is actually kind of neat when there is no wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit