Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:29 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,129,025 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is possible to find a home in decent shape in a relatively safe neighborhood in Detroit.
There is Warrendale, and the southwest Detroit neighborhood centered around Lonyo and McGraw, which borders Dearborn

The eastern end of Warrendale that borders Dearborn has seen an influx of Middle Eastern people and businesses in the last decade. You can find small, non-updated, but livable old bungalows in her price range or a few thousand more. You are going to have to be street smart - Warrendale is still in Detroit. For instance, see the below listings.

Warrendale
7757 Grandmont Ave, Detroit, MI 48228 - Foreclosure for Sale - realtor.com®

7425 MANSFIELD Street, Detroit MI 48228 - MLS# 215040601

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6-98807?row=61

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9-06544?row=56
(this house needs a hot water tank)

Southwest - the reason why I say this neighbhorhood is because I see whites, Middle Eastern, and Mexican people in this neighborhood. I think this neighborhood is called Chadsey-Condon

5776 OGDEN Street, Detroit MI 48210 - MLS# 215077660

Hamtramck has a very large Muslim population. There are a lot of Middle Eastern people from Iraq and Yemen that live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:42 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,129,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
In that budget look for South Warren and Eastpoint, but the houses will need work. In those places I would not have a problem walking to the grocery store during daylight. In Detroit proper is not worth it when you can be in a suburb that is safer and denser for the same price.
I would not recommend Detroit proper (on that budget) to a single female, not worth the risk.
Detroit consists heavily of "broken" homes where a single mother is living in a house or apartment or a flat and raising one or more children - all of these ladies are not in fear for their lives. Maybe you meant you would not recommend Detroit proper for a single CAUCASIAN female.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,044,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farooh View Post
Thank you for your responses.

My budget is about 15,000$ that is why i am looking for a small home, and will live in it about 6 months every year.

How bad is it in Detroit? i mean can't a person walk in daylight to buy grocery or such? lol the articles i read made me wonder.

Also what other cities around Detroit would be safer and affordable considering my budget?
Hamtramck might work.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,236,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Hamtramck might work.
Zillow seems to indicate the houses, generally, would be too expensive in Hamtramck.

Unless the OP is willing to put a lot of work into getting something at auction, foreclosure etc -- which may be a great idea -- she is likely looking at the safer neighborhoods of Detroit to actually buy a house at that price range.

I do not know the exact borders to look at, but I am guessing Waarendale, SW Detroit and various other pockets along the edges. Obviously along the Dearborn border would be ideal but no idea if those prices would align with the OPs budget.

OP that is a tough fit; you might consider renting.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:40 AM

5 posts, read 6,585 times
I have been checking websites like Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, spotcrime.com and trulia.com, hamtramck does not seem to be safe, are such websites considered reliable for safety/crime data?

Lets say i am willing to drive 30 miles everyday to detroit for my work as long as i live in a good area, which areas/cities aroud would u recommend within that radius?

And thank you for the links usroute10, i checked them and will contact my realtor regarding one of them actually.

I did consider renting Jonnynonos, but it will be waste of money and i will pay almost 15,000$ in 3 years of renting, so i think buying a house would be better.

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 08:08 AM

20,853 posts, read 19,322,755 times
Where will you be working?

How much money do you have to spend fixing up this house you plan on buying for $15,000? Do you have the skills to do some of the work yourself? (I'm assuming you realize that a $15,000 house is going to need a lot of work.)

Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,585 times
I can do minor fixes and painting, not major ones :/
And my work will be near Fairlane center, i am not sure i spelled it right.
How much fixing on average are we talking about here?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,236,735 times
I would really talk to a realtor.

You're asking for a tall order and everyone has different ideas of what a "safe" neighborhood is.

You're going to need someone who can point you to not just the right neighborhood but the right block and the right house. Or an auction, bankruptcy etc.

In most instances, for a sound house in a relatively safe neighborhood in or outside of Detroit, $15K is going to be a really tight stretch.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:06 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,688,567 times
Like I said before, a $15,000 house will likely need a lot of work. And I do mean tens of thousands. I bought a foreclosure once and spent nearly $10,000 on flooring and paint alone. Granted, I did not go bottom of the line. But a $15,000 will need more than flooring and paint. Likely tens of thousands of dollars in work. A good example would be the Rehabbed and Ready homes. The houses they are choosing for the program are in more stable neighborhoods and need less work than other houses up for auction, and they are spending $50,000-60,000 to rehab them. And that is without 'upgrades'. Here is the link to give an idea of a reno cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit