Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,161 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
Me and my Fiance have recently moved to the Detroit Metro Area (Farmington) and currently looking for a new place. When I first moved here I only had two weeks to find a place before I started my current job so we ended up going with the first place that was decent and allowed pets due to not having much time to search. We're not too happy with the place we are in now, and it's not the fact that its bad, we just feel for how much we pay we could find something better. I've been researching places for a couple months now and haven't had much luck searching or maybe I'm not trying hard enough, so I was hoping that anyone on here would be able to recommend some places to look at, or maybe even someone on here has a house for rent. We currently pay just under 1300 a month right now for a 2 bedroom 1-1/2 bath apartment. I'm hoping to spend a little less in the 1000-1100 range for a new place. I'm open to apartment living, although I'd prefer to rent a house, but as long as it is nice and allows pets, I'm open to it. We'd like to stay in the Farmington area (Novi, Northville, Plymouth, Canton, etc), but am again am open to suggestions. I work in Detroit, and my fiance in Bloomfield. So I guess my question is can anyone recommend some good apartments or maybe a good place to look for rental houses? I've been looking at craigslist and it seems everyone that I call about is a scam..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 03:54 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Pretty unlikely that you'd find anything 'better' than what you're currently at for a cheaper rent in that area. That's a high-end area to begin with and $1,300 is pretty much the just below average rent (for 2 bedrooms) for that area.

You would have to expand your search into suburbs like Livonia or Southfield or Oak Park. You could also try Sterling Heights, northern Warren, and maybe Clawson or Madison Heights.

Rent cheaper than what you're currently at would typically be for 1-bedroom apartments or in less desirable suburbs.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Pretty unlikely that you'd find anything 'better' than what you're currently at for a cheaper rent in that area. That's a high-end area to begin with and $1,300 is pretty much the just below average rent (for 2 bedrooms) for that area.

You would have to expand your search into suburbs like Livonia or Southfield or Oak Park. You could also try Sterling Heights, northern Warren, and maybe Clawson or Madison Heights.

Rent cheaper than what you're currently at would typically be for 1-bedroom apartments or in less desirable suburbs.
I agree. I would recommend taking a look at northern Livonia. Rents are cheaper than Farmington, but you're still pretty close to the downtown Farmington area. The southern side of Farmington Hills (9 and Middlebelt/Orchard Lake area) may have some cheaper rentals.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:18 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
I took a quick look on Zillow and only found this below 1300.
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent...98_rect/11_zm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit