Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 07:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times

Advertisements

The online photographers "Humans of New York" have been featuring Syrian refugees this past week.

...The years we’ve spent as refugees have been very tough, but we’ve just learned that we’re going to Detroit, Michigan. I have a brother-in-law who says it’s very nice there. He says he is allowed to work legally and officially. So hopefully I can start driving again. He says there is heating in the houses and the water is warm when you shower. And he says that America cares about children. He tells me that there is a bus that picks them up and takes them to school.”

https://www.facebook.com/humansofnew...type=3&theater

The comments under these entrees are unbelievably heartwarming.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
I came here to make similar post. It was heart warming to read the stories of 12 family on their way to USA. There were several family moving to Metro Detroit area. I was proud of MI. All the simple things we take for granted are luxury for these family & many of them were just like us (considering these luxury as basic life necessity) before the war. How life can change in a blink of an eye.

There was the scientist featured before this family who is moving to Troy. His family home was bombed and he lost his wife & daughter. President Obama made a comment on Human of New York page welcoming him. I suggest everyone take few minutes to read their story, brings tears to your eyes

Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I came here to make similar post. It was heart warming to read the stories of 12 family on their way to USA. There were several family moving to Metro Detroit area. I was proud of MI. All the simple things we take for granted are luxury for these family & many of them were just like us (considering these luxury as basic life necessity) before the war. How life can change in a blink of an eye.

There was the scientist featured before this family who is moving to Troy. His family home was bombed and he lost his wife & daughter. President Obama made a comment on Human of New York page welcoming him. I suggest everyone take few minutes to read their story, brings tears to your eyes
Yes! That was a good one too... So many welcoming Michiganders.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:14 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Wow... that's great. All of the things we take for granted here. I've never seen so many people appreciate things like those in the comments section. It makes everything we complain about not having so silly.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:46 PM

No words:

“I built this compound for my family. I saved the money for it, I designed it myself, and I oversaw the construction. The first missile tore through the yellow house and exploded inside the pink house. It was a government anti-personnel missile. They are not supposed to be used in residential areas. Inside were 116 small bombs, and each bomb was filled with needles and shrapnel. The pink house belonged to my brother and his entire family was torn to pieces. The second missile landed in the green house but did not explode. That was my house. If the missile had exploded, I wouldn’t have any children left. But it only destroyed the top floor where my wife and daughter were. Sixteen people died in the attack. Seven were from my family."

(Istanbul, Turkey)

Old 12-13-2015, 08:19 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Here's another article. Repopulating Detroit: Welcoming immigrants and refugees is necessary
I'm glad Detroit is improving and the immigrants and refugees play a big role in this.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
No words:

“I built this compound for my family. I saved the money for it, I designed it myself, and I oversaw the construction. The first missile tore through the yellow house and exploded inside the pink house. It was a government anti-personnel missile. They are not supposed to be used in residential areas. Inside were 116 small bombs, and each bomb was filled with needles and shrapnel. The pink house belonged to my brother and his entire family was torn to pieces. The second missile landed in the green house but did not explode. That was my house. If the missile had exploded, I wouldn’t have any children left. But it only destroyed the top floor where my wife and daughter were. Sixteen people died in the attack. Seven were from my family."

(Istanbul, Turkey)

That's crazy... so much stuff goes on that we don't know/ hear about. And I know that bomb too, I had a co-worker in his mid 20's who was a veteran that calculated those type of bombs and where they will land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: