Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 05:40 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times

Advertisements

Post-Bankruptcy, A Booming Detroit Is Still Fragile : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 06:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
A booming Detroit? Is this article from the Onion? Wayne County has, presently, the worst population loss of any county in the nation. Yeah, there are a few good things happening downtown and midtown, but let's be real.

There are 3,143 counties in the U.S. If you're coming dead last out of 3,143, I'm fairly sure your status shouldn't be characterized as "booming".

Old 12-12-2015, 10:20 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
A booming Detroit? Is this article from the Onion? Wayne County has, presently, the worst population loss of any county in the nation. Yeah, there are a few good things happening downtown and midtown, but let's be real.

There are 3,143 counties in the U.S. If you're coming dead last out of 3,143, I'm fairly sure your status shouldn't be characterized as "booming".
Current population trends have nothing to do with on-going construction.

Most construction projects that have started within the last year since exiting bankruptcy won't be completed until the later half of 2016 at soonest. Net population changes wouldn't be reflected until the annual estimates the next year after that.

Besides which, what does Wayne County have anything to do that goes on within Detroit?

Old 12-13-2015, 07:34 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
I think Detroit should embrace the "booming" label and run with it....even if it is not true at this point in time....it can likely become a self fulfilling prophecy. A good part of Detroit decline is the result of self fulfilling prophecy of negativity.

I remember living in Atlanta in the 80's when it was a metro of 2.5 million people. I swear everyone in the area worked for the Chamber of commerce and was selling the city. I would read all kinds of embellishments in their local media about how big Atlanta was and everyone seemed to buy into it.....and it eventually became true.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:25 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
Detroit is barely one year out of bankruptcy. It has a long way to go but it is improving. This website is very informative and had been blogging about the different areas and challenges it still faces and has faced: Next Chapter Detroit - Detroit Bankruptcy News | One place to find news on Detroit bankruptcy, its effects on people and neighborhoods and its long-term implications for the city. Powered by WDET.
I think it would also be great if startups in the silicon valley would open offices in Detroit if relocating is not possible. If high tech companies would choose to open in Detroit instead of California, this would help a lot too. That would be great!

Old 12-13-2015, 10:04 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Some booming might be the sound of the implosion of buildings beyond repair?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:31 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think Detroit should embrace the "booming" label and run with it....even if it is not true at this point in time....it can likely become a self fulfilling prophecy. A good part of Detroit decline is the result of self fulfilling prophecy of negativity.

I remember living in Atlanta in the 80's when it was a metro of 2.5 million people. I swear everyone in the area worked for the Chamber of commerce and was selling the city. I would read all kinds of embellishments in their local media about how big Atlanta was and everyone seemed to buy into it.....and it eventually became true.
Oh yeah, I remember everyone called it "Hotlanta" back then because it was hot and growing so fast. Not sure if they still do. I don't really hear of anyone moving to Atlanta anymore.

Detroit's rebirth is going to take multiple decades. It needs to not listen to the naysayers so much and just keep forging on.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:49 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I've had the opportunity to visit with some city officials recently. One thing that is booming is optimism, which from what I understand is something that Detroit has been lacking for the past .. four decades or so. From what I understand, the population hemorrhaging has leveled off and property values are actually increasing. The Downtown/Midtown areas are desirable for many, and I doubt that has been the case for quite some time. Due to the demand construction in those areas is indeed booming. While we certainly can't describe real estate outside of the city center as hot, transactions are occurring, and not just for investors. That's a step in the right direction.

So yeah, it's no San Francisco, but given what it has been for the past 15 years I'd say Detroit is currently booming.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:59 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I've had the opportunity to visit with some city officials recently. One thing that is booming is optimism, which from what I understand is something that Detroit has been lacking for the past .. four decades or so. From what I understand, the population hemorrhaging has leveled off and property values are actually increasing. The Downtown/Midtown areas are desirable for many, and I doubt that has been the case for quite some time. Due to the demand construction in those areas is indeed booming. While we certainly can't describe real estate outside of the city center as hot, transactions are occurring, and not just for investors. That's a step in the right direction.

So yeah, it's no San Francisco, but given what it has been for the past 15 years I'd say Detroit is currently booming.
Freep did a story saying the residents were more optimistic too. 70% seems kind of high, but then there's a lot that people haven't seen happen in a long time, I guess.

Exclusive Detroit poll: 69% say city headed in right direction

Old 12-13-2015, 04:00 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

That is what it takes....optimism. Detroit and Detroiters have taken pride, seemingly, in self degradation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit