Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:25 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times

Advertisements

I'd look in Sterling Heights or Madison Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
UTICA

Good schools
Small Downtown
Close to 2 major malls and the big box store corridor of Hall road
Relatively Affordable housing
Close to Warren
Has a pretty bike and hike trail

Old 12-17-2015, 10:57 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
I'm becoming a fan of Madison Heights.

Would be able to walk / peddle / etc to get me some Pho and Gang Som, still would be not too far from DTRO and North Woodward, would be inner ring, and would not have to pay the North Woodward mark up.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:21 AM

169 posts, read 185,442 times
Someone mentioned Oak Park, Lathrup Village, Southfield. I'd steer clear of those areas as crime is rising in those areas and the schools aren't very good. If proximity to Warren is a priority, I'd look in Sterling Heights, Rochester/Rochester Hills, Birmingham and Royal Oak.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:26 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
Someone mentioned Oak Park, Lathrup Village, Southfield. I'd steer clear of those areas as crime is rising in those areas and the schools aren't very good. If proximity to Warren is a priority, I'd look in Sterling Heights, Rochester/Rochester Hills, Birmingham and Royal Oak.
Southfield crime increasing?

Actually not, crime in southfield is DECREASING

//www.city-data.com/city/Southfield-Michigan.html

Crime rate almost cut in half since 2005 --- what you're hearing is a rumor propagandized by racists.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Southfield crime increasing?

Actually not, crime in southfield is DECREASING

//www.city-data.com/city/Southfield-Michigan.html

Crime rate almost cut in half since 2005 --- what you're hearing is a rumor propagandized by racists.
Probably has to do with population decreasing. I mean, Southfield and Oak Park border Detroit, which is one of the most crime ridden places in the Country and 90% black. Since you wanted to infuse race into the conversation, let's not pretend there isn't a correlation between crime and race. And just because someone says that, it doesn't make them a racist.

Southfield and Oak Park aren't exactly the epitomes of safe communities with excellent schools and other amenities. There are much better options for what the OP desires.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:18 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Probably has to do with population decreasing. I mean, Southfield and Oak Park border Detroit, which is one of the most crime ridden places in the Country and 90% black. Since you wanted to infuse race into the conversation, let's not pretend there isn't a correlation between crime and race. And just because someone says that, it doesn't make them a racist.

Southfield and Oak Park aren't exactly the epitomes of safe communities with excellent schools and other amenities. There are much better options for what the OP desires.
Dearborn and Ferndale and the Grosse Pointes border Detroit as well - they are generally considered desirable places to live to certain demographics (middle class, Middle Eastern, hipster, young families).

You are correct there is a correlation between crime and race, but just because a city is predominantly black doesn't ALWAYS mean it will be high crime. There are exceptions.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Dearborn and Ferndale and the Grosse Pointes border Detroit as well - they are generally considered desirable places to live to certain demographics (middle class, Middle Eastern, hipster, young families).
This is true. But if I'm the OP, where schools are a top priority, Dearborn, Ferndale, Southfield and Oak Park aren't even on my list of places to move. The Grosse Pointes still have good schools for the most part from what I hear, but one of their high schools is apparently succumbing to school of choice.

Commute, schools, and a walkable downtown are priorities for the OP. If that's the case, I'd say either Royal Oak or Birmingham fit the bill perfectly. Although finding a $200K house in Birmingham will probably be more difficult than finding a $200K house in Royal Oak.

Quote:
You are correct there is a correlation between crime and race, but just because a city is predominantly black doesn't ALWAYS mean it will be high crime. There are exceptions.
Not always, but usually.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:16 PM

Dp

Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
The crime rates in the Southfield area are about the same as Warren so if OP has been fine living in Warren then they'd wouldn't see much of a difference in/near Southfield.

Most of the other areas mentioned are not budget friendly for the OP. That is if they were looking for a fixer-upper or something, which either way would be costly. Maybe Sterling Heights, but the areas in Sterling Heights within OP's budget would literally be down the street from Warren and practically no difference would be made in a relocation and would be a waste of money and energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit