Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:52 PM

769 posts, read 824,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Yea... something like the rich get richer and and more powerful while everyone else gets poorer and have less of a say. Income inequality gets worse and worse when things go that route.
Yeah, but crime goes down and neighborhoods go from burned out row houses occupied by vagrants and crack dealers to families who maintain their property and actually contribute to society...

Funny how that happens? Eh?

Gentrification has to happen, or the city will remain a third world outpost in America which is what it is right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:22 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,645,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Yeah, but crime goes down and neighborhoods go from burned out row houses occupied by vagrants and crack dealers to families who maintain their property and actually contribute to society...

Gentrification has to happen, or the city will remain a third world outpost in America which is what it is right now
But how does that happen when the poor never go away but are just shifted to a new location? I would expect to see a net gain for society in general.....not just a shifting of the poor and their problems to the inner ring suburbs so that the city proper can revitalize.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:43 PM

769 posts, read 824,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
But how does that happen when the poor never go away but are just shifted to a new location? I would expect to see a net gain for society in general.....not just a shifting of the poor and their problems to the inner ring suburbs so that the city proper can revitalize.

There is no "net gain to society". No such thing.

These people go somewhere else and are someone else's problem. IE: do crime elsewhere

Old 12-19-2015, 12:31 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,848,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post

How does neighborhoods get better when the rich are getting richer and poor and getting poor. If anything that means there will be even MORE bad neighborhoods and less nice neighborhoods. If there is less and less people with money, who's going to live there?

Also, Detroit isn't anywhere close to third world, stop looking at click bait news. If you think that then you have no idea what real third world struggles is like. Take a look at this thread and some of the comments in the link //www.city-data.com/forum/detro...umans-new.html
people from REAL third world countries appreciate Detroit a whole lot because it isn't anywhere close to what it's like in their home country.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:37 PM

169 posts, read 183,316 times
Quote:
I had a conversation with a co-worker who is white. He talked about his kids in sports. They are a pretty well off family with both he and his wife making six figure incomes. He talked about the sports dreams of his kids to play professionally. However, his kids have so many options for fun and entertainment, plus their school work (they are A students) that they do not spend a lot of time on their sports dreams. A jack of all trades generally becomes the master of none. Now, one can argue that his kids had the same opportunity to become sports stars as some poor inner-city youth. However, the poor inner city youth does not have a lot of options......because they do not have the money to be a jack of all trades....which allows them to become MASTERS OF ONE. It's no wonder that many great athletes comes from the ranks of the poor as poverty forces specialization because you are limited in the things that you can do. It does not cost much to run and jump or play and dribble a basketball and if you see people who look like you doing it successfully you feel you can do it too. Many of these inner-city kids to not see school related success to emulate on a daily bases to reinforce it...especially if the parents are not educated.

I would like you to take your mindset and reapply it to sports and see if you come to the same conclusions. Do whites have just as much opportunity to become successful basketball and football players as blacks? Is it simply a matter of whites not wanting it or working as hard as blacks do to get it? It's natural to emulate your surroundings. That is how all creatures learn to survive. They just see and do. Thus, when you are reared in a successful environment where school is observed as part of the path to success, its natural to replicate that. However, when you live in concentrated poverty, as many AA do, it becomes natural to emulate the behaviors and mindsets that produce poverty and hence it takes much more of an effort to go against the grain and figure out the ways and mindsets of the successful. Birth does not reset everyone back to equal starting points. At birth you inherit the displacement of your parents.....which is why poverty tends to breed poverty and success tends to breed success because they are both relative to each other.
Neither of my parents were "educated". My dad was a high school dropout and my mom was a high school graduate. They both had blue collar jobs and we never saw school related success other than what we saw on tv or from distant relatives we saw once or twice a year. My parents success was made via nose to the grindstone, hard work. I remember during my childhood, they actually contemplated accepting government assistance. They qualified for it. But they were too proud to accept it.

As for the sports question, do whites have the same opportunity to be professional basketball and football players as blacks? Yes. But blacks excel at these sports simply because they're physically superior to whites. There are many more whites playing high school sports in this country simply because European Americans make up 72% of the population. African Americans make up 12% of the population. Surely the disproportionate amount of blacks in the NBA and NFL isn't a result of your "Masters of one" theory. The numbers simply don't add up. If blacks only make up 12% of the population, yet represent the NFL and NBA, 70% and 75% respectively, your theory doesn't add up because there are poor white people too. Being poor isn't exclusive to blacks.

I do agree that in many cases, herd mentality dictates the path of individuals take in life. But when society and government is constantly providing for people, there's no incentive to get out of the situation because why should you strive to be successful if the government will take care of you? That, I believe is one of the main reasons blacks, as a whole, and poor whites for that matter, remain destitute. When it makes more sense financially to sit at home than it does to go to work, there's something wrong.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Income inequality is not about everybody making the same pay. It's about income being distributed in an uneven manner across the workforce. Everyone does not have the same opportunities in America. A child of a top 1 percenter is almost gaurenteed to be successful. His family has the money for college for one, do you know how expensive a college degree from a four year university is? Let's not even get into masters and doctor degrees. The average family's income has increased by 147% since 1982 but since 1985, college tuition cost has risen 500%, and that's fair to you? you don't see a problem with that? Most of my teachers in high school (yes, the ones that teach the future generation of the world) were all in college debt well into their 40's. Now let's get back to this child from a top 1% family, after he graduates, he has a GUARANTEED good paying job right out of high school. A normal middle class child who just racked up college debt for a decade or more has a good chance of still getting denied for good paying jobs because he doesn't have experience. People with college degrees are working at McDonald's or Starbucks. Income inequality is getting worse and worse. I believe less than 1,000 people have half of the world's wealth. Take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM
As showed in the video, nobody thinks that everybody should make the same. Most of us including myself enjoy the idea of working their way up and actually getting somewhere in life. But THAT is just ridiculous. Also add to the fact that college isn't for everybody, neither is being a top CEO. Everybody can't be at the top of the food chain, the people at the top wouldn't be able to prosper without the middle class in the first place, so can the middle class get a little appreciation instead of struggling their asses off more and more?
I agree that the cost of a college education is ridiculous. That being said, why the need to go away to school? What's wrong with going to community college for the first two years and living at home saving a lot of money in the process?

As for the middle class struggling, there's no reason to struggle if you're in the middle class. People struggling financially in the middle class is a result of them living beyond their means.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
Neither of my parents were "educated". My dad was a high school dropout and my mom was a high school graduate. They both had blue collar jobs and we never saw school related success other than what we saw on tv or from distant relatives we saw once or twice a year. My parents success was made via nose to the grindstone, hard work. I remember during my childhood, they actually contemplated accepting government assistance. They qualified for it. But they were too proud to accept it.

As for the sports question, do whites have the same opportunity to be professional basketball and football players as blacks? Yes. But blacks excel at these sports simply because they're physically superior to whites. There are many more whites playing high school sports in this country simply because European Americans make up 72% of the population. African Americans make up 12% of the population. Surely the disproportionate amount of blacks in the NBA and NFL isn't a result of your "Masters of one" theory. The numbers simply don't add up. If blacks only make up 12% of the population, yet represent the NFL and NBA, 70% and 75% respectively, your theory doesn't add up because there are poor white people too. Being poor isn't exclusive to blacks.

I do agree that in many cases, herd mentality dictates the path of individuals take in life. But when society and government is constantly providing for people, there's no incentive to get out of the situation because why should you strive to be successful if the government will take care of you? That, I believe is one of the main reasons blacks, as a whole, and poor whites for that matter, remain destitute. When it makes more sense financially to sit at home than it does to go to work, there's something wrong.
Here is my problem. Many people think just like you do....but how do you KNOW that blacks dominate sports because they are naturally superior? What also keeps people from thinking that the reason blacks do not do as well educationally and hence economically is because they are naturally inferior when it comes to the mind? Obviously if people can just look at blacks dominating sports and think the cause of that effect is natural black athletic superiority, then why would not such minds conclude that the lower educational and economic performance is rooted in mental inferiority? Well......they do think this because once the mind sets the precedent accepting racial superiority as an explanation in one aspect, then it is LIKELY true that they can and likely do rationalize race as the cause for performance in other aspects.

That it the problem! If you eliminate the thoughts of racial inferiority and superiority, then what is left to explain the different performances and realities? Answer....societies different treatment of them and self fulfilling prophecy. The REAL issue is that many people see black people as naturally inferior....in Darwins survival of the fittest.....we are seen as less fit for survival which is why we lag. Of course, people will not say this even to themselves.....because the implications of such thoughts is that one who thinks that way is likely racist.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Here is my problem. Many people think just like you do....but how do you KNOW that blacks dominate sports because they are naturally superior? What also keeps people from thinking that the reason blacks do not do as well educationally and hence economically is because they are naturally inferior when it comes to the mind? Obviously if people can just look at blacks dominating sports and think the cause of that effect is natural black athletic superiority, then why would not such minds conclude that the lower educational and economic performance is rooted in mental inferiority? Well......they do think this because once the mind sets the precedent accepting racial superiority as an explanation in one aspect, then it is LIKELY true that they can and likely do rationalize race as the cause for performance in other aspects.

That it the problem! If you eliminate the thoughts of racial inferiority and superiority, then what is left to explain the different performances and realities? Answer....societies different treatment of them and self fulfilling prophecy. The REAL issue is that many people see black people as naturally inferior....in Darwins survival of the fittest.....we are seen as less fit for survival which is why we lag. Of course, people will not say this even to themselves.....because the implications of such thoughts is that one who thinks that way is likely racist.
Conversely, how do you know any of these ideas aren't true? The fact is that none of us truly know the reasons. It's all conjecture. And the sad part is that we'll never know. Because nobody in their right mind would conduct a study of any sort due to the potential ramifications of the findings. So we'll continue kicking the can down the road because nobody wants to have real, non politically correct discussions about the elephant in the room.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
Conversely, how do you know any of these ideas aren't true? The fact is that none of us truly know the reasons. It's all conjecture. And the sad part is that we'll never know. Because nobody in their right mind would conduct a study of any sort due to the potential ramifications of the findings. So we'll continue kicking the can down the road because nobody wants to have real, non politically correct discussions about the elephant in the room.
Yes....but the conjecture tells more about the person using it than the target of the conjecture. Conjecture is like an ink spot test where the psychologist ask a person what they see in the ink spot. If ones explanations for observations of performance is racial superiority......I dare say that what the conjecture says is that the person is a racist. That does not mean that the person is filled with hate or animosity towards another race, but rather, that they see performance related to nature and not nurture. Hence, people may conclude that it is simply natural for blacks to perform superior at sports and inferior at other things. Hence, they may take the political position that it is futile to have programs and spend money to prop up the demographic because they are naturally inferior and that it is a waste of time and money to make the effort. Such people might also feel that when a black person is in a good job.....its only because of Affirmative Action or something.

A persons conjecture tells a lot about them.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-20-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yes....but the conjecture tells more about the person using it than the target of the conjecture. Conjecture is like an ink spot test where the psychologist ask a person what they see in the ink spot. If ones explanations for observations of performance is racial superiority......I dare say that what the conjecture says is that the person is a racist. That does not mean that the person is filled with hate or animosity towards another race, but rather, that they see performance related to nature and not nurture. Hence, people may conclude that it is simply natural for blacks to perform superior at sports and inferior at other things. Hence, they may take the political position that it is futile to have programs and spend money to prop up the demographic because they are naturally inferior and that it is a waste of time and money to make the effort. Such people might also feel that when a black person is in a good job.....its only because of Affirmative Action or something.
And again, perhaps racial superiority/inferiority is true. Perhaps not. Nobody knows for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit