Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM

21,111 posts, read 19,703,590 times

Advertisements

Detroit Public Schools teachers divided on how to get President Obama's attention - WXYZ.com

Temperature: 19F

Why wouldn't you want these people to teach your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 02:41 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
The good news is Detroit is filing a restraining order against the truants so hopefully the immature adults get back to their day jobs.

DPS seeks restraining order against teachers

Old 01-20-2016, 04:55 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Clearly you've never been inside any DPS facility if you don't understand why they're protesting.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 PM

21,111 posts, read 19,703,590 times
I have no problem with them protesting. I have a problem with them calling in sick and then marching outside when its 19F. That's called "lying".

Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 PM

321 posts, read 861,162 times
Google the pictures associated with this that show the conditions inside the schools. Then you'll understand. How else could they possibly fix the problem when their oversight is intentionally ignoring them?

Old 01-21-2016, 12:07 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Funny thing is, this is the most attention DPS conditions have gotten in a long time. The real question is, why did they even have to take it to that extreme in the first place? If "Child Protective Services" see kids living in homes with those type of conditions, they would be ready to take the kids.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I have a problem with them calling in sick and then marching outside when its 19F. That's called "lying".
I am not familiar with the terms of their contract. Does it reference "sick days" or PTO (paid time off)? Or perhaps some combination of the two? Because if it specifies PTO then calling in "sick" of the conditions in the building isn't lying.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
Most teachers get very limited personal time off because of all the breaks (Winter break, spring break, summer etc) - so if someone did call in sick without truly being sick they are lying.

I'd propose the legislature either reduces all their pay further or fire them and bring in replacement teachers. No shortage of teachers looking for work.

As a city resident (i.e. funder of their paycheck) - I abhor their behavior. This behavior is once again proof for why DPS student success is so terrible. DPS teachers choose greed over duty. They should be publicly shamed. By name.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I'd propose the legislature either reduces all their pay further or fire them and bring in replacement teachers. No shortage of teachers looking for work.

As a city resident (i.e. funder of their paycheck) - I abhor their behavior. This behavior is once again proof for why DPS student success is so terrible. DPS teachers choose greed over duty. They should be publicly shamed. By name.
I doubt all these "teachers looking for work" are going to stay in DPS more than few months or year. I have to give it to the teachers for getting attention to school condition. They had to do something but now that the attention has been given to them, I don't know why this is still going on. Of course its not over night fix. I guess maybe not enough attention has been paid to the situation.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Thinking that firing all the teachers and replacing them is going to fix deeply rooted systemic problems is simplistic and reveals an ignorance of root causes. What happens when the thousands of new teachers you just magically imported can't even begin to teach kids who are worried about their next meal, getting robbed/raped/beaten on their way home and having to deal with highly dysfunctional home lives. And on top of that you have schools that are literally falling apart due to managerial incompetence.

I am uncomfortable with the protests, but there are problems at the schools that go FAR deeper than the teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: