Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 03:55 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfanboy View Post

If you go to any up-and-coming metro areas, especially on the west coast, with lots of high-paying jobs being filled with 20 and 30 somethings, you'll notice everything is newer and more refined.

San Mateo, Ca looks rather dumpy. And that is right by Silicon Valley. Much of LA looks (or is) ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfanboy View Post
It's all about money and demographics. Fact is that outside of a couple pockets, metro Detroit is overwhelmingly middle class and has an economy wholly dependent one industry that peaked decades ago. Therefore not a lot of innovative, high-earning people reside in or move to the metro Detroit area. I'm sure the lack of "classic" natural beauty (e.g. mountains, ocean, etc.) doesn't help the place look refined either.

If you go to any up-and-coming metro areas, especially on the west coast, with lots of high-paying jobs being filled with 20 and 30 somethings, you'll notice everything is newer and more refined.
Ah yes, you and your agenda to make anything Michigan out to be bad. I'm from the west coast. I grew up in a "nice" middle-class suburb of LA, Santa Clarita. It was no more beautiful than a typical middle class suburb of Detroit, like Farmington or Macomb. In fact, due to its higher concentration of cactus and lower concentration of trees I'd say it was less attractive. The one thing it did have going for it were housing prices that completely exclude anyone who doesn't already own a home, from owning a home. That's something you like, right?

Since this is meaningless without stats, let's look at median household incomes for nearby counties

LA:
Orange County: 74,344
Riverside County: 57,768
Los Angeles County: 55,476
San Bernadino County: 55,846

Portland:
Washington County: $64,180
Clackmas County: $63,352
Multnomah County: $41,278
Marion County: $46,885

Seattle:
King County: $71,811
Kitsap County: $62,413
Pierce County: $59.204

Detroit:
Oakland County: 66,390
Washentaw County: 59,065
Macomb County: 53,994
Wayne County: 41,184

With the exception of Wayne County, these are not significant differences. Especially when you factor in the cost of living in LA, Portland or Seattle Metros vs Detroit Metro. Also, playing off west-coast metros as "up-and-coming" is a joke. They arrived generations ago. They declined, the recently rebounded, and today they are what they are. Up and coming would be more like Austin, Bismark or St. George.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:45 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Sorry to go all necro-thread on you all, but I remember when I posted this some of the comments I received were
Hey, GeoAggie, it's January. Forested areas are ugly in January, wait 'til spring.
Well, now it's May, and... ... well, those people were right. It is beautiful here! The street I live on is just a regular old nondescript side street, but it has completely exploded in a forest of illusion full of leaves, flowers, birds, forest-fauna, and things this desert-dweller never thought possible in a city. (Seriously, I saw a deer just strolling down my sidewalk one day and I could start a baseball league with all the types of birds I've seen in my backyard).

This of course doesn't change the grungy feel of some of the strip malls in the surrounding areas (seriously, what were urban planners thinking in the late 20th century?) or the occasional brick structures that haven't been kept in top-shelf condition, but every metro has these. Overall I would no longer describe Metro Detroit as grungy, this Spring has been incredibly beautiful, though I'd certainly describe the winters as dreary looking.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Sorry to go all necro-thread on you all, but I remember when I posted this some of the comments I received were
Hey, GeoAggie, it's January. Forested areas are ugly in January, wait 'til spring.
Well, now it's May, and... ... well, those people were right. It is beautiful here! The street I live on is just a regular old nondescript side street, but it has completely exploded in a forest of illusion full of leaves, flowers, birds, forest-fauna, and things this desert-dweller never thought possible in a city. (Seriously, I saw a deer just strolling down my sidewalk one day and I could start a baseball league with all the types of birds I've seen in my backyard).

This of course doesn't change the grungy feel of some of the strip malls in the surrounding areas (seriously, what were urban planners thinking in the late 20th century?) or the occasional brick structures that haven't been kept in top-shelf condition, but every metro has these. Overall I would no longer describe Metro Detroit as grungy, this Spring has been incredibly beautiful, though I'd certainly describe the winters as dreary looking.
Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I have a veritable zoo in my backyard: coyotes, deer, squirrels, raccoons, possums, the occasional skunk (ugh), beavers, ducks, geese (ugh x2) and birds of multitudes of varieties. Late spring to mid-fall is lovely in SE MI, but it's the yuck of the other 7 months that really gets to me.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

Yeah the winter time is pretty ugly, especially if there is no snow lol. If you can get through the 3 or 4 months (sometimes 5) you will come to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit