Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 01:25 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times

Advertisements

Does the police response differently based on the part of Detroit one lives in. I would assume it does but just wanted to verify. I am guessing police will be right at your door if something happened in Mid-town/down-town verses. outskirt Detroit

Recently my brother in laws house got broken in to (Detroit side bordering Hamtramck). I reported to the police and they showed up 1.5 hours later. My coworker who lives in or near university district area in west side Detroit said police always been at her door with in 10 min of reporting. I am guessing each area is treated differently even if it all falls under Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 01:44 PM

5,329 posts, read 3,210,678 times
Not from Detroit so I'm not commenting on that aspect, but I would guess that the type of crime also determines the response. I grew up in a big city in Massachusetts - similar problems to Detroit. A break in call easily took hours to answer.

The fact that your friend said they show up within 10 minutes "always" probably means she is calling about a situation that is happening versus has happened. Just my two cents.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:52 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
Your brother in law needs to be a little more technologically savvy. There is an App called NEXT DOOR that you can download for free. It's like facebook but only for people within a certain zip code (i.e. next door).

Each neighborhood in Detroit has a DPS police officer who posts, almost daily on the app. In fact, they share their personal cell phones with you so you can text/call them directly if anything comes up.

Your story sounds fishy. Why would you report a break in at someone else's house. How would you have known? Why didn't you just go to the police station and have them follow you back. Something doesn't add up.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:52 PM

260 posts, read 239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Not from Detroit so I'm not commenting on that aspect, but I would guess that the type of crime also determines the response. I grew up in a big city in Massachusetts - similar problems to Detroit. A break in call easily took hours to answer.

The fact that your friend said they show up within 10 minutes "always" probably means she is calling about a situation that is happening versus has happened. Just my two cents.
Similar problems to Detroit? Which city was this lol

Old 02-12-2016, 05:08 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Does the police response differently based on the part of Detroit one lives in. I would assume it does but just wanted to verify. I am guessing police will be right at your door if something happened in Mid-town/down-town verses. outskirt Detroit

Recently my brother in laws house got broken in to (Detroit side bordering Hamtramck). I reported to the police and they showed up 1.5 hours later. My coworker who lives in or near university district area in west side Detroit said police always been at her door with in 10 min of reporting. I am guessing each area is treated differently even if it all falls under Detroit
It could be 1 of 2 things; DPD being short-staffed has been known to prioritize some calls over others. B&Es seem to be near the bottom of their list if the crime has already been committed. It could just be a slow day if they show up pretty quickly.

Number 2 is that neighborhoods like University and Midtown have private police forces. Midtown specifically is mostly covered by Wayne State's security. For University and a number of other mostly historic areas, the private security comes from neighborhood association fees.

It could also be that DPD patrols these areas more often since they are more populated and/or maybe they expect Hamtramck PD to cover areas Detroit shares its border with. But I'm guessing it's more likely one or both of the above possibilities.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Your brother in law needs to be a little more technologically savvy. There is an App called NEXT DOOR that you can download for free. It's like facebook but only for people within a certain zip code (i.e. next door).

Each neighborhood in Detroit has a DPS police officer who posts, almost daily on the app. In fact, they share their personal cell phones with you so you can text/call them directly if anything comes up.

Your story sounds fishy. Why would you report a break in at someone else's house. How would you have known? Why didn't you just go to the police station and have them follow you back. Something doesn't add up.
Lol at the fishy part. We are house sitting/watching my bil house while they on vacation. My husband works near by so he checks on the house at lunch. He takes lunch at different time each day depends on work load. He opened the door n saw the tv missing. He called me instantly n told me to call the cops. He was bit freaked out. I called the cops & then called my dad to go over, so that my husband wasn't alone at home. I then left work, which is 30 mins away in downriver.

I agree a crime happened vs. Happening is different but she had similar crimes: Burglary, car crashing into fence..etc and got quick response. I am guessing there are more cops allocated to certain parts of Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit