Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
It's pretty annoying how people on this forum think that only the highest rated, top notch wealthiest schools are acceptable to live in. I see people telling people all the time here to avoid communities where the schools are in the 70-80th percentile, it's kind of ridiculous to only recommend to people a few suburbs because their schools are a bit better than the ones a few miles down. The high school I go to is right in the 50th percentile for the state. It's not top notch, but there are plenty of after school programs, AP classes, and for the most part teachers are still adept at teaching the subjects they teach. I mean, if you can afford to send your kids to the best schools, then by all means do what's best for your kid. If not, it's not terrible if they don't go to the very best schools, because chances are the other ones aren't that bad.
100% agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 03:59 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkim6887 View Post
Novi High School has ranked considerably higher than Plymouth-Canton High School.

Considerably higher?

Old 02-16-2016, 04:03 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkim6887 View Post
Although I like Plymouth downtown a lot, I am not a fan of the Plymouth-Canton schools.

Why?

Old 02-16-2016, 06:24 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
I don't think anyone here was questioning Novi schools.

The poster asked about safety, based off anecdotal experiences of the OP at a suburban mall.

A crime state website was referenced showing that Novi had slipped to only being a marginally safe city (i.e. 51st percentile). That was then compared to Northville which was shown to be 30% safer.

Seems like a lot of money to pay to worry if your house will get broken into or car stolen. We expect that in select areas of Detroit, didn't realize it was so bad out in Novi.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:19 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I don't think anyone here was questioning Novi schools.

The poster asked about safety, based off anecdotal experiences of the OP at a suburban mall.

A crime state website was referenced showing that Novi had slipped to only being a marginally safe city (i.e. 51st percentile). That was then compared to Northville which was shown to be 30% safer.

Seems like a lot of money to pay to worry if your house will get broken into or car stolen. We expect that in select areas of Detroit, didn't realize it was so bad out in Novi.
Which "crime stat website" are you referencing?

Novi likely has a higher incidence of crime than Northville due to 12 Oaks and the large shopping/entertainment district -- theft and other petty crimes are always going to be higher when you have large shopping areas attracting people from across the region. There are no rashes of car thefts or violent crimes. Unless you can back that up with hard data you're just trolling.

And there is absolutely no comparing the crime rates of Detroit and Novi. Again, data or you're just another troll.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Which "crime stat website" are you referencing?

Novi likely has a higher incidence of crime than Northville due to 12 Oaks and the large shopping/entertainment district -- theft and other petty crimes are always going to be higher when you have large shopping areas attracting people from across the region. There are no rashes of car thefts or violent crimes. Unless you can back that up with hard data you're just trolling.

And there is absolutely no comparing the crime rates of Detroit and Novi. Again, data or you're just another troll.
I'd be curious to know what was the crime rate in Novi in 2000 and 2010. The retail has been in Novi for a while, but if the crime rate has increased from 2000 to 2010, and from 2010 to now, then I would question whether the presence of the abundant retail explains the increasing crime rate.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Novi-Michigan.html

The above link shows that violent crime in Novi has actually decreased since the early 2000's

Old 02-16-2016, 09:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
stop, just stop please. These crime stats are like school rankings.

Can anyone with a straight face seriously say that Novi is "unsafe".

If so you better move to a very remote place far away from the world.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:00 AM

169 posts, read 185,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I completely agree that both Novi and Northville are overpriced. We could have gotten far more bang for our buck in Lyon Twp with the same quality of schools and living, but it was a bridge too far in regards to our commute.
If these communities were overpriced, people wouldn't be buying houses in them. The houses in the Northville neighborhood I'm considering are on the market for a few days before they sell. Houses will list on a Friday and have an offer by Saturday or Sunday. I've seen it happen several times in the last year. If they were overpriced, they'd be on the market for months with price reductions.

Houses are worth what people are willing to pay for them. The schools, neighborhood, and area are what sells a house. Not necessarily the house itself. Northville has a lot to offer, including a relatively short commute downtown compared to Howell, Brighton, and even South Lyon. That's why people are willing to pay higher prices for homes in Northville compared to cheaper comparable options in other communities.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Many of the executives and professionals that work downtown live in the Novi / Northville area.
You don't hear of too many people that work downtown commuting out to Lyon Twp as that makes for a lengthy commute.
However, many of the Lyon Twp/South Lyon people commute into the Southfield area.
I work downtown with several people who make that commute daily. One person lives in Brighton. I'd love to live out there, but I'm not willing to drive 2+ hours to and from work every day.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
It's pretty annoying how people on this forum think that only the highest rated, top notch wealthiest schools are acceptable to live in. I see people telling people all the time here to avoid communities where the schools are in the 70-80th percentile, it's kind of ridiculous to only recommend to people a few suburbs because their schools are a bit better than the ones a few miles down. The high school I go to is right in the 50th percentile for the state. It's not top notch, but there are plenty of after school programs, AP classes, and for the most part teachers are still adept at teaching the subjects they teach. I mean, if you can afford to send your kids to the best schools, then by all means do what's best for your kid. If not, it's not terrible if they don't go to the very best schools, because chances are the other ones aren't that bad.
You mean people want their kids to go to the best schools possible? That's just nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit