Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 AM

538 posts, read 658,798 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but what is the traffic situation like around Detroit?

If somebody would not mind doing doing something like the link below, that would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously for Detroit though

Philly Area Rush Hour Traffic Guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 AM

21,120 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Google "traffic detroit".

Old 03-15-2016, 12:44 PM

56 posts, read 65,295 times
During my weekday morning commute: Traffic is almost ALWAYS backed on I-275 North from Ford Road to the I-96 East exit. Also, the ramp from I-275 North / I-96 West to I-696 East is almost always backed up as well.

During my afternoon commute: Traffic usually backed up or very slow on I-696 West onto the M-5 / I-275 South ramp.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:26 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
I drive from my home in Detroit to my job in Southfield and don't hit the brakes once either way (i.e. reverse commute).

One of the small keys to success in life/happiness is choosing your housing location in a reverse commute pattern from work, and as close as possible.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
I-94 headed towards downtown in the morning and away in the evening.
I-75 kind of the same as I-94 but not as bad... I-75 gets very backed up in parts of Oakland County as well
696 is bad and gets very backed up in various stretches of the freeway
275 gets very backed up between 696 and I-96
Southfield freeway gets pretty bad
I-96 gets pretty backed up in the northwest suburbs from about Novi to Brighton
Can't really speak on Washtenaw Co (Ann Arbor/ Ypsi area)

Southfield freeway, 696, 275, and I-75 traffic can get heavy even outside of rush hour. St. Clair county even though it's considered Metro Detroit, it's mostly rural. I can't imagine having too much issues way up there.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:40 PM

13 posts, read 21,953 times
Default For those who don't know

Go to maps.google.com
Click the dropdown menu within the search bar found in the upper left hand corner
Select "Traffic" and a new menu bar will appear in the bottom center of the screen
Change "live traffic" to "typical traffic"
Select whatever day of the week and time of day you will be traveling
Voila!

Old 03-16-2016, 08:23 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Can't really speak on Washtenaw Co (Ann Arbor/ Ypsi area)
Freeways around there move pretty well... until there's an accident. Then it's pretty much a parking lot in any direction and it seems like a takes a while for traffic to clear out even after the accident is cleared.

All the freeways in Washtenaw are two lanes for the most part. I-94 narrows to 2 lanes at US -23 and M-14 on the north side of Ann Arbor seems like it was built like scribble with crayon. On top of that, the US-23/M-14 interchange has some horrible traffic weaving and semis and cars basically have to fight for the exits. It's really amazing more accidents haven't occurred there. They really should rebuild it so that through traffic doesn't have to merge together.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,150 times
Traffic in Metro Detroit is pretty straightforward:

General:

Morning commutes get slow and congested from typical bedroom communities headed inbound to all of the major employment centers in the region. Accidents and poor weather (e.g., heavy rain, snow, ice, fog) can cause gridlock and commute times to double or triple.

Evening commutes get slow and congested from major employment centers headed toward bedroom communities. Accidents and poor weather (e.g., heavy rain, snow, ice, fog) can cause gridlock and commute times to double or triple.

Major employment centers include:
Downtown Detroit
Southfield
Dearborn
Troy
Auburn Hills
Warren & Sterling Heights (industrial corridor between Mound & Van Dyke)
Ann Arbor
I-275 corridor (between Novi and Plymouth)

Rush Hour Times:
Rush hour in Metro Detroit tends to be start and end earlier than other cities, primarily driven by the mindset and schedules of the automotive industry and other related businesses, which also translates to other industries.

Morning rush hour is generally starts around 6:30am and winds down around 9-9:30am. Peak tends be from about 7:30-8:30am.

Afternoon rush hour tends to start around 3:30pm and winds down pretty dramatically after about 6:30pm. Peak tends to be between 4:30-6pm. Evening rush hour tends to be more congested than mornings. On Fridays rush hour seems to start at about 2pm. Traffic during the summer months is noticeably lighter. Summer Fridays, traffic can be extremely light and almost more weekend-like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit