Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:51 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Well, in other cities, it's more like islands of blight surrounded by at least occupied neighborhoods. In Detroit, it's islands of occupied blocks surrounded by swathes of blight.
Well that's what I figured too, but in some other cities it isn't that. Kansas City, Philly, Baltimore, St. Louis... you have a really nice downtown, massive swaths of blight, and a handful of beautiful neighborhoods that are some of the best areas in the whole metro. I will admit that Detroit probably takes it a slight step up from even those cities - largely just due to how great it once was vs. how I don't think any of those cities were ever considered incredibly wealthy - but there are other cities where just about every single neighborhood has some level of blight.

Now in many of the ones I mentioned such as Chicago, Phoenix and Atlanta, there are more stable neighborhoods than not, but as a whole they show the signs of urban decay to be concerning. What does the future hold for them if this and future generations still can't find incentive to live in the neighborhoods of old cities - with exception given to a handful of places like SF, SLC, Denver and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 10:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Well that's what I figured too, but in some other cities it isn't that. Kansas City, Philly, Baltimore, St. Louis... you have a really nice downtown, massive swaths of blight, and a handful of beautiful neighborhoods that are some of the best areas in the whole metro. I will admit that Detroit probably takes it a slight step up from even those cities - largely just due to how great it once was vs. how I don't think any of those cities were ever considered incredibly wealthy - but there are other cities where just about every single neighborhood has some level of blight.

Now in many of the ones I mentioned such as Chicago, Phoenix and Atlanta, there are more stable neighborhoods than not, but as a whole they show the signs of urban decay to be concerning. What does the future hold for them if this and future generations still can't find incentive to live in the neighborhoods of old cities - with exception given to a handful of places like SF, SLC, Denver and Seattle.
One difference between Philadelphia and Baltimore vs. Detroit is that Detroit has seen a tremendous loss of households since 1950. In contrast, Philadelphia has seen a modest gain in households and Baltimore is struggling to get back to the 1950 number by 2020. Since loss of households (which, by definition, occupy housing units) is the primary driver of housing abandonment, it is no surprise that the scale of abandonment in Detroit is on another level from Baltimore's and Philadelphia's significant problems.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:33 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:

I don't know about Phoenix and Atlanta, but most of Chicago is not in danger of becoming a Detroit and definitely does not show signs of urban decay as you claim. You can't just google a city and get a feel or understand it. Most of the south side is actually intact and inhabited, although it has a crime problem in areas such as Englewood which still would look much better than most Detroit neighborhoods. Gentrification is expanding many areas of the north and west sides of the city, and many areas are much better than they were 20 years ago. I travel to Detroit alot, and have seen its inner city downtown go from a mess to the beginning of thriving, which I am happy for. If this trend continues, and people continue to move to the inner core of the city, expansion is just around the corner.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
This is a pretty fascinating read, highlighting abandoned suburbs in Florida (Using google streetview like you did GeoAggie)

Suburban Poverty: Hiding in Plain Sight

Zoom in on this map and troll around on the streets, many of which are miles and miles of empty lots.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.8781...1!1e3?hl=en-US

Some more. It's downright scary looking.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.9898...1!1e3?hl=en-US

I don't understand why they'd put in all of those roads before even a fraction of the homes had been built.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.8392...1!1e3?hl=en-US

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.6155...1!1e3?hl=en-US

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.0394...1!1e3?hl=en-US

We're abandoning our country at both ends, urban areas and exurban areas.

Last edited by magellan; 02-28-2016 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 12:29 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I don't know about Phoenix and Atlanta, but most of Chicago is not in danger of becoming a Detroit and definitely does not show signs of urban decay as you claim. You can't just google a city and get a feel or understand it. Most of the south side is actually intact and inhabited, although it has a crime problem in areas such as Englewood which still would look much better than most Detroit neighborhoods. Gentrification is expanding many areas of the north and west sides of the city, and many areas are much better than they were 20 years ago. I travel to Detroit alot, and have seen its inner city downtown go from a mess to the beginning of thriving, which I am happy for. If this trend continues, and people continue to move to the inner core of the city, expansion is just around the corner.
Englewood looks better than most of Detroit? I'm sorry but that is simply false. Coming from somebody who was born and raised in Detroit and has a ton of family in Chicago. The south and westsides of Chicago look no better than Detroit period... especially these days. Englewood, much of the eastside, and K- town (north Lawndale) looks alot worse than much of the westside of Detroit. However, Chicago has always been better at tearing down abaondon buildings than Detroit, but the recent mass exodus of blacks fleeing Chicago has made it hard for them to even keep up with that. Although there aren't a ton of burnt out homes, I still see alot that are either bordered up or an empty space that is still considered vacant. Granted, there are areas like Brightmoor, Delray, neighborhoods east of midtown, and neighborhoods near city airport that look worse than anything I've seen in Chicago. But that is not what most Detroit neighborhoods look like, if it was, Detroit would have the lowest population density of any major city (which it isn't even close to having), and Detroit would be alot less than 75% occupied.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:13 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Go to any big city in America, and those neighborhoods with older homes are the most desirable and sought after parts of the city. Just go to Portland, Denver, Nashville, Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte.

Young professionals/millenials and other people LOVE THOSE ROWHOUSES in Baltimore, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC. They love those old apartments in New York and Boston. People in Chicago love those walk up apartmenst, frame bungalows, and the brick Chicago Bungalows.

For example, in Atlanta, the one of the hottest neighborhoods is the East Altanta Village. Look at the below the kind of house is in the neighborhood:

Houses can be updated. Houses can be expanded.
The reason people in those cities live in those homes is that is all they can afford as homes in other cities are more expensive than Detroit. If housing here was expensive, more people would be taking care of their older homes because they can't afford to move into newer ones. The high middle class incomes that the auto industry provides has fueled housing booms in Metro Detroit to a greater extent than other cities. Also, in most older neighborhoods in Detroit, all the white residents were displaced by poorer blacks which were less likely to maintain such homes. I'd be willing to bet that the areas you mentioned are predominently white. Again, this can be traced back to the large influx of southern African-Americans to work on the auto factories.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:19 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
This is a pretty fascinating read, highlighting abandoned suburbs in Florida (Using google streetview like you did GeoAggie)

Suburban Poverty: Hiding in Plain Sight

Zoom in on this map and troll around on the streets, many of which are miles and miles of empty lots.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.8781...1!1e3?hl=en-US

Some more. It's downright scary looking.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.9898...1!1e3?hl=en-US

I don't understand why they'd put in all of those roads before even a fraction of the homes had been built.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.8392...1!1e3?hl=en-US

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.6155...1!1e3?hl=en-US

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.0394...1!1e3?hl=en-US

We're abandoning our country at both ends, urban areas and exurban areas.
Those aren"t abandoned neighborhoods. Those are subdivisions that haven't been built out. The speculation in Florida dates back to the 1920s when many square miles of suburban roads were built in anticipation of housing booms. And it continues to this day.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:34 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Certain neighborhoods of cities will continue to become revitalized and gentrified. The neighborhoods that tend to become gentrified/revitalized are:

1. those that are close to downtown or to other trendy neighborhoods in which the revitalization spills over to neighboring areas when the housing costs increase

2. those that are near a rapid transit line - you see this a lot in Chicago, where the trendiest neighborhoods are along the Elevated train for the most part, and those neighborhoods that are farther from the train are not looked upon as being as desirable

3. those that are adjacent to an outstanding park (like Forest Park in St. Louis) or an outstanding geologic feature, such as an ocean, harbor, lake, river, forest, hills, mountains, nature preserves.

The Canton area of Baltimore is hot because of its location on the harbor and near downtown

4. those that have outstanding housing stock, like the Meridian-Kessler neighborhood in Indianapolis and the Brookside area of Kansas City

5. those that are near to a vibrant commercial district or a virtually intact commercial district that could be revitalized someday.

6. those that become a draw for certain immigrant groups (like the Mexicans in Mexicantown or the Bangladeshi, Yemeni, Eastern European & Iraqi immigrants in Hamtramck).
**THAT'S WHY IT'S SUCH A SHAME WHAT HAPPENED TO CHALDEAN TOWN IN DETROIT**
The last days of Detroit's Chaldean Town

Last edited by usroute10; 02-28-2016 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 02:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Certain neighborhoods of cities will continue to become revitalized and gentrified. The neighborhoods that tend to become gentrified/revitalized are:

1. those that are close to downtown or to other trendy neighborhoods in which the revitalization spills over to neighboring areas when the housing costs increase

2. those that are near a rapid transit line - you see this a lot in Chicago, where the trendiest neighborhoods are along the Elevated train for the most part, and those neighborhoods that are farther from the train are not looked upon as being as desirable

3. those that are adjacent to an outstanding park (like Forest Park in St. Louis) or an outstanding geologic feature, such as an ocean, harbor, lake, river, forest, hills, mountains, nature preserves.

The Canton area of Baltimore is hot because of its location on the harbor and near downtown

4. those that have outstanding housing stock, like the Meridian-Kessler neighborhood in Indianapolis and the Brookside area of Kansas City

5. those that are near to a vibrant commercial district or a virtually intact commercial district that could be revitalized someday.

6. those that become a draw for certain immigrant groups (like the Mexicans in Mexicantown or the Bangladeshi, Yemeni, Eastern European & Iraqi immigrants in Hamtramck).
**THAT'S WHY IT'S SUCH A SHAME WHAT HAPPENED TO CHALDEAN TOWN IN DETROIT**
The last days of Detroit's Chaldean Town
Definitely some Russian money flowing into that part of Baltimore. I did a double take at first glance wondering if the pic was here in the Bay Area.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Go to any big city in America, and those neighborhoods with older homes are the most desirable and sought after parts of the city. Just go to Portland, Denver, Nashville, Atlanta, Tampa, Charlotte.

Young professionals/millenials and other people LOVE THOSE ROWHOUSES in Baltimore, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC. They love those old apartments in New York and Boston. People in Chicago love those walk up apartmenst, frame bungalows, and the brick Chicago Bungalows.

For example, in Atlanta, the one of the hottest neighborhoods is the East Altanta Village. Look at the below the kind of house is in the neighborhood:

Moderator cut: copyrighted photo removed

Houses can be updated. Houses can be expanded.
Good point. Here's a place a couple miles away from me that reminds me of the part of Warren between 8 and 9 and even parts of Detroit proper:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit