Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:26 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times

Advertisements

For the older posters, remember this 1970's slogan:

I often read the forums of other cities that are a lot more vibrant and desirable than Detroit.

In the Seattle Forum, a poster started the following thread:

"How about we have a "what do you love about Seattle". Haters, stay on your own side, just for once"

So what do you love about living in the Detroit/Southeastern Michigan Area?

I'll start:

>phone dial tone<

Just kidding, here is what I love about the Southeastern Michigan region:

1. The traffic is not that bad here. To travel around the area is pretty easy compared to larger or more thriving areas

2. I love all of Detroit's many neighborhoods with stately homes, from Boston-Edison to Grandmont

3. I love that we have the 4 major pro sports teams, and hoping one day we can snag an MLS team

4. I love that we have bountiful water recreation resources in the region, with Lake St. Clair, the Detroit River, Lake Erie, and the inland lakes section of Oakland County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:10 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
1. Beautiful stately homes.

2. Motown - The Hitsville USA museum.

3. Proximity to many fine colleges and universities. (my ex went to EMU)

4. Dave Bing was mayor.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
The history
The diversity
How big and important it is (lol sounds silly I know)
The women
Our freeway system (we have freeways going 6 different directions out of downtown alone), it's the reason traffic flows more smoothly than alot of other cities.)
The culture
The food
The income vs COL ratio
the large variety of entertainment options
the variety in places to live
the architecture
shopping options
the urban grit and feel

I don't want to make a super long list so I'll stop right here lol.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 PM

538 posts, read 659,021 times
4 sports teams (#1 by a mile, and by far the #1 thing to like about Detroit)
Low COL
Canada
Beautiful lakes nearby
Architecture
The people
"Hockeytown"
Finally improving downtown core

Old 03-13-2016, 09:08 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Spent an afternoon passing through after visiting family in Waterford, and the DIA was great. Really hope they aren't forced to lose any of their collection (is that still on the table)? Loads of construction in Midtown and Downtown...will be interesting to see how it looks in five years. Next time I want to visit Mexicantown...I bet you can find some killer food there.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:48 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Spent an afternoon passing through after visiting family in Waterford, and the DIA was great. Really hope they aren't forced to lose any of their collection (is that still on the table)? Loads of construction in Midtown and Downtown...will be interesting to see how it looks in five years. Next time I want to visit Mexicantown...I bet you can find some killer food there.
Detroit's been out of bankruptcy for a while now, so no chance of loss for the DIA.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:56 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I miss the diversity.
I miss the food, so many choices.
I miss the mapping of the roads, you don't realize just how well planned out they are until you move someplace where they are not!
My guys miss the sporting events.
I miss the arts.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:18 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
The fighting "we can do it" personality that's written all over Detroit. The hope and drive it gives. and the low cost of living

Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 PM

56 posts, read 65,314 times
Things I like:
Great surrounding cities (Royal Oak, Ann Arbor... etc)
Close to home town (I'm from Northwest Ohio)
Home to many large companies
Many education opportunities
Water (inland lakes, Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair, Detroit River)
Many attractions and events (North American International Auto Show, for example)
Good vibes: Detroit coming back, it will take a long time but it's progress. This place has a strong history that I enjoy. Detroit is a memorable place, people know what you're talking about while there are many no name, generic cities out there.
International border: I personally think it's very cool that the majority of us can be in a different country in less than half an hour. People who live in most other major cities can't say this. The only other example being San Diego.

I will disagree with the first post. Traffic here is bad, but I don't mind that too much because it shows that many people live here (which is good) and that they're working (also good). If the freeways were clear at 7:30 in the morning, I'd be concerned.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:56 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
4 sports teams (#1 by a mile, and by far the #1 thing to like about Detroit)
Low COL
Canada
Beautiful lakes nearby
Architecture
The people
"Hockeytown"
Finally improving downtown core
Hockey in general is much bigger in Metro Detroit than it is in most of the country. However, "Hockeytown" is a joke. Most sports fans don't care about the Wings until they're in the conference finals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit